The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

From what I've seen of the internals a new CPU board basically is a whole new unit. But I take your point.

2. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I've heard back and it's fine for me to send the PCB. So that pretty much seals the deal. It's a bummer but I can live without my vinyl for a month or so to get this fixed.

I can't do vinyl without the SugarCube...

keiron99 and PATB like this.
  3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Please continue to keep us posted as to what happens once you get the board back.

WDeranged likes this.
  4. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

You can guarantee that I will. If I lived in the USA it wouldn't be such an issue but overseas postage is terrible right now.

Swann36 likes this.
  5. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

For a $1500+ unit they couldn’t cover shipping? Really? It’s not like you did something to it that broke it.

Swann36 and WDeranged like this.
  6. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

True. And it's been like this from the moment I plugged it in...

I've got more than one criticism of Sweetvinyl, but if I can get a perfectly functioning unit for £40s worth of postage I'll take it.

Though god knows what my state of mind will be if they send me back another dud...

7. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Not to be a trouble maker...but if postage was covered as part of the warrantee I would contact Leo again. Where you are in the UK, I have no idea what the the warrantee covers in term of who pays the shipping costs both ways. If it is Sweet Vinyl both ways and you have the paper trail. Send him a copy of the email where he said he would get back to you. The unit was still under warrantee, I would politely make a stink. Point out to him that the postage costs £40s and if he had gotten back to you in a more timely manner the postage would have been totally on him. Or at least get them to pay it one way.

I have had great luck with SC support and my unit has worked well after the first few firmware upgrade in 2020. But that is me. If I were in your shoes, I would have been royally pissed about the whole situation. You paid too much for that unit to have it clearly not work right under warrantee. You have a paper trail and then they nickel and dime you for postage and it was their responsibility to pay it... Not acceptable. Where it is an international purchase, the warrantees are often quite different in coverage. I had to pay $160 each way to ship my Vinyl Cleaner Pro to Germany so I feel your pain RE: International purchases and shipping costs in these crazy times.

PATB and Old Zorki II like this.
  8. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Yeah, you can... I've been SugarCube free for a year now(?) and am surviving :) In fact, you should - spend a month without it and you will appreciate it all the more when it returns...

9. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Isn't the new sugar cube the Degritter ultrasonic cleaner ?

10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

In what way - issues?

11. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Noooo. I mean. If I had to. But I don't think I could stick it out.

You're right though. When I get back a working Sugarcube it will be Christmas all over again.

r.Din likes this.
  12. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Not IMHO. I had a Audiodesk Vinyl Cleaner Pro for 2 years before getting the Sugar Cube. A UCM is a big step in the right direction. The UCM can only deal with crud on the record or in the grooves. It does nothing to improve psychical damage from scratches, nor does it prevent noise for things landing on the cleaned record after cleaning while you are playing it. A good RCM AND the Sugar Cube are two big keys to quiet vinyl. They complement each other.

WDeranged likes this.
  13. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

Fully agreed, my Degritter and SC-1 Mini are like Mulder and Scully or Holmes and Watson... umm.. Bonnie and Clyde... err... Waldorf and Statler?

clhboa and SMcD like this.
  14. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Click and Pop. :D

Old Zorki II and darkscarf like this.
  15. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

So a couple years back, I was fortunate to come across a gentleman selling a Sony TC-651 and some tapes with "popular " music on them. I immediately called and set up a meet for the next day.
    Went the next morning and made the purchase. $100.00. Didn't really look things over till I got home. Turns out it was 52 tapes recorded with classic rock from The Allman Brothers to Led Zepplin. All documented in a 3 ring binder by tape number, album, and song. he had said that he was stationed in Okinawa during Viet Nam and did the needle drops then.

I told you that to tell you this. I have my primary TT, a 78 TT and the Sony RTR routed through a Kramer VS-4S switch, to the SC-2 Mini to my system. Any clicks and pops on the taped needle drops are now gone. Life is good!

16. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I believe it because mine has removed clicks coming from 78RPM records that were the source material for some Big Band LPs I have. The LPs surfaces are in good shape and the clicks are definitely from the 78RPM source material. You can tell by the rapid pace of some of the repeating clicks which disappear and reappear depending on whether the click and pop removal is engaged.

ltusler likes this.
  17. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

So if my SC-2 is removing C+P's on LP's that were recorded to tape in the late 60's, is it going back in time?

keiron99 likes this.
  18. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

You need to add a Flux Capacitor

keiron99 likes this.
  19. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

Hmm, what kind of cables do I need to connect it?

keiron99 likes this.
  20. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention you need a MAC with a Thunderbolt cable

21. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

and 1.21 GigaWatts of electricity

jhm likes this.
  22. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I connected my network cable on a whim. Got another mystery update. 2.3-622. Anyone else had it?

23. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I've been on it for about 4 months.

Still solid as a rock...

- Kevin

gabbleratchet7 and WDeranged like this.
  24. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it fixes my clicky left channel issue. I'd really rather not send my SC-1 circuit board halfway round the world right now.

25. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Disregarding the surface noise reduction feature on the SC-1 plus or SC-2 plus, will the SC-1 Mini click and pop removal work as well as the plus series?