The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Historically I have had the left channel clicking on my SC-2 Mini. I receive mine in June 2020 and it was a regular occurrence in the first few firmware revisions. It was very audible and very annoying. For me powering the unit off an on would usually get me a day or so of peace before the clicking returned. Around about August of 2020 it was becoming more & more rare as Sweet Vinyl got a better handle on the problem. The clicking does return from time to time with various firmware revisions. Early on it was very noticeable and annoying. These days when I hear it, it is usually much more subtle and I think the only reason I even notice it, is because of my past experience with the issue. I am hyper sensitive to the issue. It made a return with one of the last few versions of the firmware. I would notice it and power off my SC and it would go away for a long time: days or weeks. I am old school about the solution, I just get up and throw the power switch on the SC. I am going to have to get up and start the record side again anyway. I have read that double clicking on Bypass doesn't always work for people.

2. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

This thing seems to be a nightmare! Is the de clicking really that much better than magic on the Puffin? The Puffin is flawless, much cheaper, and seems to be super reliable. Plus its a phono stage and eq if wanted too!

bridgeless and Slimpickens like this.
  3. Johnny Formica

Johnny Formica Forum Resident

Luckily the internal reset has fixed the issue and it's all back to normal.
    Once again, thanks to r.Din of the advice.

4. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Great news. Glad that helped.

Strat-Mangler and Johnny Formica like this.
  5. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Another common issue I had with my SC was on reboot there'd be no sound. The solution here was to always ensure I was in bypass mode before rebooting. A good habit to get into.

6. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

Some here unfortunately seems to have recurring problems. But for me, and I guess many others, it has worked without any problems or those have been fixad through software updates.

I also have a Puffin in a second system, and I think it is really great. The magic setting is fine for what it is, but it can't compare to the SugarCube. The SC is a lot better when it comes to clicks and pops.

7. Johnny Formica

Johnny Formica Forum Resident

Good to know, many thanks.

8. chadflattum

chadflattum Member

Exactly the same here.

9. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

My Sugarcube mysteriously updated to 2.3-622 again. No idea what's going on there.

10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Bought a Teddy Pardo power supply for my SC-1 mini and finally installed it. According to TP owner it should take 72 hours to "break in fully", but I am already impressed. I own SC-1 mini since 2019, and I slowly learned how to detect that it is in a chain, by slightest variations in "air" and transients. With Teddy Pardo I lost this ability again )). Now it transparent no matter how hard I am trying to detect it. For whatever reason the biggest difference was with mono records, but again -I am only listening for several hours...

biggysteve likes this.
  11. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

SC-1 Plus updated 8 hours ago to: 2.3-641

12. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

I just installed it but the routing control is missing from the Home Page. Now you have to use /routing with the IP to access it

13. GuildF512

Got the update from 2.3.621 and now I cannot record any music like I used to. This is in Repair Record and Repair Playback modes. I can playback a prerecorded FLAC file previously recorded with the SUGARCUBE.

14. YourMainDude

2.3-644 downloading now ... Looks like 641 was a gaff?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  15. YourMainDude

Ok, the update went smoothly. The 'Routing' tab is back.

The Windows app "What's New in the Current Release" function still comes up blank.
    What a joke ...

WDeranged and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Thought I'd pass this along, proactively...:

My SC2-Plus just updated to software # 2.3-645... there is a new feature engaged as of this update: now, the SC2-Plus must not be in 'Bypass' or 'External' mode when attempting to use the recording functions. If you are in 'Bypass' mode, and wish to record, navigate to the 'Repair' page and click on 'Bypass' (to leave 'Bypass') or go to the 'Routing' page and select 'SugarCube' mode-- the recording functions will be enabled.

This extra software protection was created because there have been problems reported with the SC2-Plus recording process when the user unexpectedly selects 'External' or 'Bypass' during recording, which causes the recording to abruptly stop, and which can result in memory corruption.

So, just FYI, folks...

- Kevin

17. GuildF512

Just received the latest update and everything is functional now. Good response time from Sweet Vinyl.

Tony A. likes this.
  18. YourMainDude

Woke up to this ...

You are running SugarCube 2.3-648

19. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I'm still on the original software for my old SC1. Not heard of any reason to update!

Anton888 and FrankieP like this.
  20. Joel Cairo

Well, as I recall, some of these updates have contained tweaks and refinements to the de-click & de-pop modules, so you might want to consider it...

21. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Bought my SC-1 when it originally came out, and it's hands down the best electronics purchase I've ever made. Has given me no problems, and I can't imagine listening to vinyl without it.

Jim0830, PATB, matthew zagar and 8 others like this.
  22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just got 1965 first mono press of Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man for $10. It looked scuffed and scratched and dirty And seller did not think much of it. (if NM it is $200+)
    Washed in RCM and Degritter, then played on Denon DL-102 mono with SC-1 mini powered by Teddy Pardo PS.
    Sound was beyond spectacular, really sounded like NM (without SC-1 of course it did not even with DL-102). Fresh and like just recorded.
    Thank you Sugarcube!

23. Joel Cairo

For those who are considering taking the leap, Music Direct shows the SC-1 Mini & the SC-2 Mini as being "In Stock"...!

Seems like it's been a while-- that's nice to see!

- Kevin

Tremaindous likes this.
  24. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I would somewhat agree for an SC1 or any other Sugar Cube that doesn't record. I can't think of any compelling features that were added that didn't have something to do with recording. The reason I said somewhat agree is some versions of the software/firmware were prone to the left channel random clicking issue. If your version of the software/firmware does not suffer from the clicking issue the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" saying probably applies. People that do have this issue and are on an early version of the software can probably do better by upgrading.

WDeranged likes this.
  25. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I almost completely agree. Like you, the SC is the best electronics purchase I've ever made. I would say I can't imagine listening to LPs without the SC and Klaudio UCM I just purchased a month ago. Much of the time LPs just as quiet as all my other sources. I used to think that about my Audio Desk Vinyl Cleaner Pro/Pro X too, but having gone through 4 in 4 years I had to switch. But IMHO clean records are also key. The SC is amazing, but it can only do so much.