The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

How much is the Klaudio?

2. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

3. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Yes I wasn't looking to hijack or derail this thread on discussions of RCMs. There are many threads here related to that. I was just trying to make a point that the money spent on cleaning your records are equally important IMHO. Good clean records get you most of the way there. So does having records that aren't in terrible condition with lots of surface damage. Then the Sugar Cube can help get you the rest of the way there. I rarely hear even a single click on my records which is what the SC helps with. The black background and lack of surface noise is what a clean record will bring you.

4. YourMainDude

All rather complicated. Diminishing returns trumps 6K cleaning machines for most ... that's why the SC is decent value proposition ... and even then, still a price not willing to be paid for most.

5. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Good clean records get you all the way there. Unfortunately that's such a rarity, especially with majority of modern pressings - most are afflicted by some clicks. And eventually those rare clean ones may end up with clicks too. Enter the SC...

Unfortunately, due to my cartridge, I cannot currently use mine, and so concentrate on getting the best records, and best cleaning, I can, which goes a long way to easing the pain of the boxed SC. But I do miss it on almost every record I play, no matter how clean.

Jim0830 likes this.
  6. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Agreed on the price of record cleaning. It is a trade off involving how much work you are willing to put in in terms of time and labor. Also it depends on how many records you own now and plan to buy in the future. The Klaudio fit my needs for reliable, set it and forget it cleaning for a large number of records. YMMV.

Again my point was clean records are a key and the Sugar Cube can get you over the finish line.But the SC is limited to click and pop removal. It does an amazing job, but there are limits to what it alone can do by itself. Clean records + Sugar Cube can equal vinyl nirvana.

7. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

No record out there is worth a 6k investment for me to clean. That’s just me. I mean that’s 3 months worth of mortgage!

8. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Except for Dylans 1.5 Mill one maybe?

9. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I updated to the latest software. The clicking is still there on the few records in my collection that I know trigger it. This is not surprising; Sweet Vinyl themselves told me that they are unlikely to fix it with software, it's a hardware problem with the processor being overloaded.

10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

It is highly likely just coincidence , but after I replaced SC-1 mini stock power supply with LPS clicking never appeared... but I also got Degritter pretty much the same time as TeddyPardo LPS.

11. Old Zorki II

Haha, just as I said it clicks reappeared after 2 weeks of being without. Two presses on bypass button - and all fixed ))

WDeranged and keiron99 like this.
  12. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Lift the needle and drop it somewhere else?

13. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Two ways. The first way is to use the "Monitor" button. This suppresses the music to a very low level. It plays what is actually being removed from the music in terms of clicks and pops at normal listening volume. You can use the "Monitor" together with the "Strength" button when setting the level of click and pop removal. Use "Monitor" to hear what is being removed from the music signal at a given strength setting. Set the "Strength" level as needed to remove some or all of the clicks and pops. At the same time you should not hear any loud music signals together with the clicks and pops when using the "Monitor" button. If you do this means your level is too high. When you are satisfied, the second way is to use the "Bypass" button in the software or on the front panel of the SC. This plays the output straight from the Line-In to the Line-Out function without the Sugar Cube being in the mix. You can easily toggle back and forth to see how and if your current strength setting is having any effect on the music. Also I tend to buy LPs that are in good shape to begin with, so no heavy lifting for my SC.

It isn't a perfect world. If the LP you are playing is trashed the Sugar Cube is not a miracle worker. You may have to balance between the amount of clicks removed vs. any detrimental effects on the sound. Others have posted on this thread about certain types of electronic music being problematic because the music itself sounds like clicks and pops. Others can comment here because I have had no problems with the SC removing the sound on the music I listen to.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  14. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I'm sending my SC-1 Mini to Sweetvinyl after the weekend. I'm more than a little anxious about it. I'm gonna have a music night and give her a send off.

Andy Saunders, Anton888 and r.Din like this.
  15. YourMainDude

Good luck. Hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction ... quickly.

WDeranged likes this.
  16. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I periodically hear a fluttering sound coming from the right channel. ..I've heard it with the needle up so I don't think it's related to that. ..It happens once every 20 mins or so. I wouldn't describe it as clicking but more like a "pa..pa..pa..pa" sound. ..Maybe 1 sec. in duration.

Is this likely my sugarcube causing this?? ..I've not heard it before. I've had it for about 2 years now.

Thx!

17. Old Zorki II

How did you integrate it in your system? Using different phono pre (MA6600 does not have tape loop)

18. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

I am sure you have tried this, but if not, power off/on the SC

19. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Technics 1210GAE =>NADPP2=> SugarCube SC1 =>Aux-In of McIntosh MA6600.

I use the NAD pre b/c my Mac is too far a reach for the interconnects from the Technics. By using the NAD I get an extra 6'.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  20. Old Zorki II

I see.. You should try it in bypass.. I remember pa-pa-pa with some preamp tubes going bad, but it is not your case..

21. YourMainDude

Try removing the internet connection completely and see if it persists ...

ODS123 likes this.
  22. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Thanks, will do!

23. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I had a strange thing happen early this morning. I woke up early at around 3AM. I was in my listening room and I saw the lights of the my SC02 Mini start flashing on and off and I appeared to be getting update. The Sugar Cube restarted and entered Bypass mode as is normal for an upgrade. I wasn't listening to records so I let it be. Just now I went into the SC software which said:
    "Last check 3 hours ago - ok
    An update is currently expected at 13 days from now.
    You are running SugarCube 2.3-622-gda1fac45-20220330-1809-prod installed 5 months ago"

I sure don't remember that happening before. Has anyone else received an SC-2 Mini update either a real or phantom firmware upgrade as this appears to be. Does anyone have something newer that this 2.3-622 version? TIA

24. YourMainDude

It's a known issue. The only suggestion SV will give you is to reset your unit - which reinstalls it's base (baked-in) factory fw level at the time of it's build - and then either force an update or wait until it does it by itself.

25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Are sweet vinyl still in business? I occasionally check their website out of interest (still hoping they produce a fully featured preamp) but nothing seems to change and everything is out of stock.

... Still the best hifi purchase I ever made by a country mile...