The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

^I don't disagree entirely. But I'd really like to turn my VG+ LZII into a NM copy :D . I also have a few very pricey LPs that have minor defects that cause ticks for 15-20 secs that drive me nuts. Being able to listen to the DCC Madman Across the Water without the artifacts from a bit of a scratch at the opening of Tiny Dancer will make me very happy! Not to mention all the poppy GZ pressings where quiet tracks are unlistenable at times ...

2. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Or they have given up trying to play records in the car

Prophetzong and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

When I saw this post I figured it may not get any replies. There have been very few people posting anything here about the SC-1 Mini/Phono or SC-2 Mini/Phono. There was a poll thread about SC ownership that I started back in Feb. 2021 and it has not had any additional replies since Oct. 2021. At that time there was only 1 owner of the SC-1 Mini/Phono and no owners of the SC-2 Mini/Phono responding. That flavor of the device was fairly new then, or at least it had just become more available. If I was to guess: most people considering Sugar Cube would already have a decent system and they would have a phono preamp covered.

Hopefully someone may answer, but now you know why it probably isn't received a reply up to this point. Good luck with your search.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

So I was reading Fremer's review of the SC and he expressed reservations about running both balanced and unbalanced cables out of a phonostage. I've been doing this for a couple of years with my Moon 310LP and haven't noticed any issues. Any idea what those issues might be?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  5. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

Something I'm slightly curious about - I listened to a fair amount of music where "noise" is present in the music itself (a pop example would be Portishead, where you can hear the surface noise in some vinyl samples, intentionally). Does the device recognize this, or is that a situation where you would override it?

6. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

It has been noted that the surface noise sampled in hip hop music is removed. I'd guess it'd be the same for Portishead.

downloadsofist likes this.
  7. Using ClickRepair during a recording of the White Album, it removed portions of McCartney’s percussive foot taps during Blackbird. The algorithm thought they were skipping sounds, I guess.

8. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Well I contacted SimAudio and they recommended not running both balanced and unbalanced out of the 310LP phonostage at the same time stating...
    "The reason is that since there is no independent active buffer, it means that the positive output stage drives both the positive XLR pin and the RCA out, while the negative ouput stage drives only the negative pin of XLR. This creates a small difference in the balanced output that ideally should be avoided. Hence we do not recommend it. The small difference may be negligible, so it is up to you to decide. Note that there is no risk of damage whatsoever to the units involved."

No explanation of the "small difference." Hmm. Will follow up to get some clarification there...

And I encountered a problem similar to member ventoux in that my SimAudio 340i integrated has a fixed output but no monitor loop. Ugh.

So I guess my only option would be to run the unbalanced output of my phonostage to the Sugarcube and then feed a line input on the 340i for playback. This would cut out the headphone amp for listening. Or maybe the fixed output of the 340i could then feed the headphone amp for processed playback over cans. Have to explore that option...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Try a lower setting. I could try with iZotope to see whether the same thing occurs, although I can't recall having any issues.

10. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

OT of your reply, but given your extensive knowledge of the Oppo HA-1, just a quick question.

Since my integrated amp does not have a tape monitor loop, I'm wondering if I can run the Sugarcube into the integrated amp and then run the integrated amp's fixed volume output to the HA-1 for headphone playback.

11. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Well after confirming with Oppo and Music Direct that the fixed level line out from my integrated should be fine to connect to my Oppo headphone amp, I went ahead and purchased the SC-1 mini. Can't wait for it to arrive and spin my noisy copies of RL LZII!!

12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Enjoy! I have found it's a game-changer with used and noisy vinyl.

hobbes4444 likes this.
  13. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Definitely hoping it also improves some of the crackly GZ pressings...

14. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The SAE 5000, the original “Click N Pop Machine” from 1977.

r.Din and PATB like this.
  15. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Congrats. I don't doubt that you'll be impressed.

I've seen a few videos of this in action. Considering the age of the hardware it's quite effective.

16. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I never bought one, but I’ve heard (considering when it came out), like you said, it was prettty effective in eliminating clicks and pops by sliding the sensitivity one way or the other.

WDeranged likes this.
  17. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

A question for my fellow Cuboids. When you get brand new vinyl do you give it a listen on bypass or just let it ride on a low repair setting and see how it fares?

18. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

My SC-1 Mini doesn't even get powered on until needed. If I use it for a song that has a scratch or a particularly bad record, as soon as the need ends, I switch to another amp input that takes SC-1 Mini off the signal chain, and turn it off at the end of the listening session.

On/Off is via a smart plug that has Siri integration so it's very easy compared to reaching the switch at the back.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    WDeranged likes this.
  19. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I only turn on the SC-1 mini for noisy vinyl, which I identify with a dot sticker on the outer sleeve.

Definitely will not it use it for new vinyl; noisy new vinyl gets returned. In cases where the new vinyl is not returnable or is a pain to return, I still need to know if it is noisy so I can give it the dot sticker if need be.

WDeranged likes this.
  20. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

When I first got my SC-2 mini I used Bypass for all but used records that had a significant amount of clicks and pops. Then I tried an experiment where I took some of my best sounding Analogue Productions audiophile LPs and compared it with and without Bypass. Only once in 2 1/2 years did I think I may have heard a slight change in the sound stage. Emphasis on may-the effect was so subtle I couldn't be sure. So my SC-2 Mini is never on Bypass. I just made a very significant upgrade to my system, which allows me to hear much greater detail in the music. Still don't hear a difference, so I leave it on at all times. Also I will depend on the type of music you play. For example others have said on this thread that EDM tricks the SC. YMMV.

keiron99 and WDeranged like this.
  21. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I agree. If there is a difference it's vanishingly small. Unless you go to higher levels of repair. But I am curious to know how other owners treat new vinyl on a first listen. I went through a period of leaving mine at level 2 and living with it. Lately I'm back to previewing new vinyl in bypass and it's irking me.

I leave the SugarCube on at all times. I don't have a single record that doesn't benefit from it. So why am I now bothering whether a new record has several clicks?

keiron99 likes this.
  22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

With moving in the last year and having a 1 year old to chase around, I haven't listened to much vinyl over the last 6 months. But I usually leave my SC on starting at level 2 for everything, and rarely do I push it up above 5.

I did a headphones listening test and barely noticed a difference with it engaged vs in bypass, so I stopped caring haha.

PATB, keiron99 and WDeranged like this.
  23. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I suspect I'll get back to that point. Most of my old vinyl needs at least 4. I think I'm judging the new stuff a bit harshly.

That being said I've had to return four records this week. Mostly with problems the SugarCube couldn't solve.

24. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

As a default I leave it off and especially when I buy an expensive used Lp I make sure I listen without the SC treatment so I know what the actual playgrade should be. From there I use my SC anytime I think my listening will benefit, which is often!

WDeranged likes this.
  25. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

This was one of the things that helped ease my transition away from the SC. For the first play of ANY vinyl I would disable the SC so that I could assess the record and quantify clicks, pops, crackle etc. Probably like many of you, many records get played once and then shelved anyway for some time before their next play, which meant the majority of my playing ended up being without the SC. I'm still hoping to get it back in the loop when the DS Audio cart. Fingers crossed.

PATB, WDeranged and gabbleratchet7 like this.