The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I just replaced my original SC-1 with an SC-1 Plus and I'm puzzling out the SVNR. Specifically, I'm trying to find a sweet spot for the SVNR. What level for SVNR do you find most useful to use as a 'default'?

2. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

Between -2 and -4 tops. Anything above that and I find the attenuation is unacceptable - dependant on source material mind you. But I only use SVNR sparingly anyhow - not as an 'always on' default.

Personally, I think SV is still toying around with this functionality and it's far from being optimized.

dharmabumstead likes this.
  3. dharmabumstead

I just hooked up the SC-1 Plus, and the documentation for the SVNR feature is not great, but I think it sounds better than my original SC-1.

I've got the SVNR set on -3 so far. I'm doing a vinyl rip of an old dollar-bin special, and it sounds surprisingly good. At -3 the groove noise on this pressing is still noticeable in the band between tracks, but I'm finding that I get a lot more of the track fade-outs before the surface noise becomes noticeable, which is really nice.

I'm going to have to dig through my collection for some of my 'known noisy' pressings and see how it does on 'groove roar'.

4. YourMainDude

Apart from a single frozen firmware update that was easy to remedy once they responded to emails /face palms/ + SV's sloppy revision tracking - - I'm still pretty happy with my SC-1 Plus.

5. Are any artifacts from SVNR apparent?

6. dharmabumstead

No, but I’ve only done the one record, and had it set very low (-3). I’m still experimenting with it.

7. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

When Sweet Vinyl introduced the SC + series models they specifically mentioned the SVNR was for very special use cases. It was intended for the type of surface noise present on most 78 RPM records and also some early LPs sourced from certain types of tape. It was definitely NOT intended for use on other types of recordings. Unless things have changed, and I am not aware that they have, that is still the case. Therefor they would not be suitable for any LPs, new or used in good or bad shape, other than those very early records that had that particular type of tape noise. If others know differently, please correct me.

I have noticed the my SC-2 Mini will sometimes actually remove clicks and pops from the original 78 source material when playing modern LPs sourced from 78's. This was an unexpected surprise and bonus. It is possible that the SVNR also may work on this type of noise on LP's sourced from 78's. It is also possible that it may not work because this specific type of noise may already have been altered during the mastering process for this LP.

I should also mention that even the normal click and pop removal of the Sugar Cube (SVNR off) can still be heard if you use it to excess. I have found I typically use a level of 3-5 and I have yet to hear this in action. People here that play electronic music or EDM say even the normal click and pop removal can be heard. I never play this type of music, so I have never heard my SC-2 Mini at normal settings. The SVNR is far more aggressive, far more specialized and can be far more lossy. On 78's you will have to decide which is worse: the noise or how the sound is altered to remove this noise.

gabbleratchet7 and Old Zorki II like this.
  8. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I once had a real bad of EMI interference of my temporary cheap network switch (ot his PS, dunno). To a point when if my pre was switched to HT bypass clicks became pretty darn loud , but even when I fed it from my streamer->DAC I still could hear those. And you know - with SC-1 mini in a tape loop clicks were gone with no audible difference... I think it was funny that Sugarcube could help in digital front end )).
    Of course when I replaced crap switch with Netgear GS108LP, with proper shielding and overbuild PS (and, just in case, later installed Ethernet decoupling transformer) all clicks/noise evaporated by themselves...

9. YourMainDude

Patently false. SV only highlighted that it could & will be most effective on 78's and oddly enough, tape sources. It is all rather well documented.

10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Semantics, not patently false.

Jim0830 likes this.
  11. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Sorry to disagree but it is not patently false. It works best for certain types of noise that are primarily found on older recordings. In the original advertising for this model this primary use case was also mentioned.

WDeranged, Ben Adams and Tony A. like this.
  12. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I haven't posted any praise for the Sugarcube in a while. What a fantastic device. I really enjoy going to record shops and taking a chance on vinyl that looks less than great. I'm definitely going to end up in the poorhouse if Sweetvinyl ever release a better product.

keiron99, PATB and Dave Decadent like this.
  13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm just so confused.
    Taking AAA and converting to make up for poor quality vinyl or any vinyl with any noise? Why not just get it done professionally by using digital media?
    And in the case of many new releases you're taking an album that has been converted from analog to digital to analog...then converting back to digital.
    Makes my head spin!

arisinwind likes this.
  14. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I don't worry about it too much. To my ears digitally sampled vinyl sounds entirely the same. I get what you're saying about the extra digital step with new vinyl but most of my stuff is old. Even so, I can't hear any reduction in sound quality with modern vinyl. Vinyl's inherent distortions completely swamp the below zero levels of distortion involved in multiple conversions.

The crux of the matter is, I hate pops and clicks but I love listening to records. It's a conundrum that can only be solved by spending far too much money on a Sugarcube.

dasacco likes this.
  15. Slick Willie

Must hate noise...may have spent as much to convert as you table costs?
    It's your system, enjoy it the way you want....but it does befuddle me.
    I just wish that folks who comment on SQ (not saying you have) would mention they're converting through a DSP, whether a stand alone unit or and AVR. It can make a difference.

WDeranged likes this.
  16. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

It's a fair comment. Whenever I post about a new piece of hardware I'm always listening through my Sugarcube and I don't mention it. All I can say is that I listen in analogue bypass mode too.

Whenever I try to A/B test I can't reliably tell the difference between the digital and the analogue source. Comparatively, a change in stylus is always very obvious.

17. Slick Willie

Hope I don't come across as pompous, but entry level systems can’t always tell us all there is to tell. This is coming from personal experience.

WDeranged likes this.
  18. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Do I recall a similar machine in the 70s made by SAE?
    I vaguely remember a demo on a beat-up LP.

19. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Have you actually heard the SugarCube? The BYPASS mode really does reveal that the processed sound is essentially identical (minus clicks and pops), regardless of quality of system. The key here is, I think, the 192kHz sample rate being sufficient to capture everything analogue has to offer, and that both DAC/ADC are in the same box running off, presumably, the same clock, so there's a much cleaner digital signal passing through it. Even if there is some loss that perhaps "the greatest system on earth" or "golden ears" might reveal, the gains from click and pop removal greatly outweighs that loss for most users.

BYPASS mode is analogue on this device, so users could choose to use it for their cleanest records, but I think most simply leave it in processing mode - which speaks to it's overall transparency.

Scepticism is fine, but you need to hear it now for yourself to challenge that scepticism with first hand experience.

Ben Adams, captouch, keiron99 and 2 others like this.
  20. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

I have a Sc-1 Plus and to be honest I use a steaming service withe the Sugarcube that offers 192 kb/24. If an album is presented in the UHD format, it generally sounds as good if not better 80% of the time than the vinyl. The problem is I have vinyl that you cannot get streamed at the high bit rate, Examples are Moody Blues, Loggins and Messina, and The Guess Who. Since most newly released albums are offered in the UHD format, it costs next to nothing except the monthly fee to enjoy artists new to me. As I have previously stated on this forum, the SC-1 Plus gives you best of bosth worlds.

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

The unit seems to be well likes by its users...no doubt about that. I'm sure it's as transparent as possible with today's tech.
    But I'll just power through with what I got.

22. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

The biggest hurdle for me to overcome with the Sugar Cube was the very concept of converting analog to digital and back again. I read posts on this thread for the first time in July of 2019 and I thought it was sacrilege. I WOULD hear it!! I returned in October 2019 and by this time there were some links to reviews and YouTube videos by Michael Fremer. That opened my eyes. By December of 2019, I had done my due diligence and decided to take the plunge. I figured the only way to truly know was to hear the Sugar Cube in action on my system. I ordered the, then new, SC-2 Mini which was in final testing. With COVID breaking out, it took nearly 6 months to get it. It did have some early teething pains, which were soon fixed via firmware upgrades. To this day, I have sensed a difference only once with the settings I use (3-5). Even that once, I wasn't quite sure if I was hearing a subtle change in soundstage or not. I now have a much more discerning system than I did then and I still don't hear the SC in action. Except for the absence of ticks and pops on good pressings of course.

This past weekend was Record Store Day. I have been doing this since April 2018. The first few were rather annoying for someone who HATES any kind of record noise like I do. All those colored vinyl pressings and all those pressings rushed out to make the hard deadline of RSD. It was frustrating when an LP you wanted on RSD was issued on colored vinyl. On the "RSD First" titles pressed colored vinyl, I used to pass and wait for the general release. Many times the general release was pressed on black vinyl. Then I got my Sugar Cube, which took care of the clicks and pops. At the end of 2018 I got an Audio Desk Pro RCM and last year a Klaudio UCM which took care of most of the surface noise, except in the worst cases.

Fast forward to the last year or two. Colored vinyl seems to have been vastly improved and is no longer as big an issue. But I am totally spoiled. Ever since getting my SC-2 Mini, RSD has been a click and pop free affair. While I feel bad for people who get clicks and pops on their RSD titles, it is getting harder and harder to relate. Now I just smile and have an inward feeling of satisfaction as I enjoy my click and pop free RSD releases. About the only remaining issues now are warps or off-center pressings and even they seem to be getting better, at least in my personal experience.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    r.Din, Vinylfindco and dasacco like this.
  23. merriment

merriment Active Member

Some of the records that prompted me to get a HumminGuru are still problematic after being cleaned. I'm pretty new to this hobby and find it surprising how I have records from the 70s and 80s that play more nicely than recent releases. I can deal with imperfections here and there but sometimes it hits a threshold where it's just distracting, especially when it seems isolated to specific passages or sides. I often buy things months (or years) ahead of even opening them, which takes a lot of opportunities to do returns off the table. I saw an SC-1 mini for $1200 open box and was able to get a no-interest payment plan so I grabbed it this morning after deliberating on it in my sleep. I guess someone wasn't happy with theirs? Seemed really cool from what I've seen.

WDeranged and Old Zorki II like this.
  24. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

It'll solve 90% of your problems right away. Momentary pops and clicks either gone or vastly reduced. It can't deal with those longer scraping scrunching sounds so expect some disappointment. But on the whole you'll be grinning for the first few weeks.

Ben Adams and merriment like this.
  25. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I was just able to obtain a loan of an SC1 mini. Was very simple to set up. It's updated and not connected to the internet. I found it to exceed my expectations. It's such a useful tool for records that I'd given up on. I have many thrift store records in storage and was thinking of donating them die to tics and pops. It's been a joy to hear these played back perfectly through the sugarcube. I find level 3 is enough to cover most anything. It's a little miracle and does exactly what it says, beautifully. As for the idea of digitizing a record to hear it cleanly, I'm getting used to it! The benefits are so great.