The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Thanks, but unfortunately UPS has rerouted my SugarCube to a UPS pickup center, claiming they attempted delivery. I say they never tried, because I've been waiting all day for that package to show up!

I called the place they said they were sending it to and it's not there yet, so hopefully tomorrow.

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

That's typical UPS bs. They do that crap all the time.

dasacco likes this.
  3. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

SC-1 Mini delivered, and it's up and running.

Fantastic.

Oddiofyl, ultron9, PATB and 4 others like this.
  4. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Tried scanning the pages here but couldn’t find much. So apologies in advance but…

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the version with the phono pre-amp? Any comparisons to the Parks Audio Puffin?

5. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

That is very good news. I've got my finger on the trigger.

WDeranged and dasacco like this.
  6. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

7. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

This device was transformational for me. ..Now, when I flip through used vinyl at a record store I think more about the music contained within the sleeve than I do whether or not I'll be driven mad by clicks and pops. ..I do, of course, check the album out for significant gouges so as to avoid needle damage (unlikely in any but the most extreme cases), but that's it. ..Since buy this I have acquired 25 or more $3-15 albums that I love that I would never had purchased before getting my SC-1 because they all had obvious scratches. Amazingly, they are rendered inaudible. Sure, I could have purchased/ downloaded ADC software that allows me to digitize the albums and remove clicks and pops in the process, but that I have no time or patience for that. This does it on the fly and it's like magic.

DigMyGroove, Oddiofyl, WvL and 2 others like this.
  8. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Congratulations. It is so funny hearing people’s reactions. They are usually variations of the same theme. To people who haven’t heard the SC in action, they sound almost too good to be true. For people that think the price is too high, they should take into account the money they save not having to buy expensive versions of the record in perfect shape. I haven’t kept track exactly, but it certainly has probably saved me at least $1,000 in used record costs for hard to find LPs. Many of them I would not have bought before the SC.

Enjoy!!

WvL, SMcD and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  9. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I counted 5 records in my collection which payed for SC-1 mini.

gabbleratchet7 and WvL like this.
  10. Alan Schneider

Alan Schneider Forum Resident

11. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

keiron99, PATB and WvL like this.
  12. Jeff Yerkey

Jeff Yerkey Any Format You Like

13. merriment

merriment Active Member

I can pretty much put this on the lowest setting and it does what I want.

14. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I wish I could get away with a really low setting. With brand new vinyl I often can but all my old stuff needs to be at 4 or 5. Beyond this point you're definitely starting to remove stuff you shouldn't. Though even at level 8 I find it hard to tell what has been removed if it's a track I don't know intimately. It shows just how good Sweetvinyl's algorithm is.

keiron99, gabbleratchet7 and SMcD like this.
  15. merriment

merriment Active Member

Having trouble accessing the device through the iOS app or my web browser. On the app, when I select my sugarcube, I just get a blank white page and a loading spinner that doesn't spin. Although previously it had been working just fine. At one point I was able to reach the config UI in my browser with http://ip_address:5123, but not today, it just times out. I can see on my router config that the device is connected via wifi and I definitely have the correct IP address and yes the device is turned on. Is there a way to reset the SC-1 mini somehow?

16. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

There has been a recent update to iOS and it is conceivable that has broken something. This has happened several times along the way for me. There have been times where my iPad or my laptop can access the Sugar Cube, but the iOS app won't be able to access it. All of a sudden an update to iOS, iPad OS and Mac OS is issued and suddenly all is right with the world.

If you are using DHCP with a randomly assigned IP address assigned by the router on startup, try going into your router to edit the settings and assigning a fixed IP address for your Sugar Cube. That eliminates the possibility of an IP address snafu.

17. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

You and me both. I'm not gonna lie, I can go up to 10 and there is no way I would bet a single penny on being able to tell. I leave it at about 7 I think (dunno, haven't touched the thing for about 6 months!) just because I read other people saying they can detect the difference...and here's me thinking I'm an independent spirit!

So good, isn't it? Just fit and forget. Amazing.

WDeranged likes this.
  18. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I've not been able to access my SugarCube through the Android app since last year. I can manually enter the IP into the app and it'll work for that session but it forgets the IP. The web interface is working fine though.

19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Has anyone experienced this issue? This seems to be created by the Sugarcube. Turntable->Sugarcube SC1-Mini Phono->Apogee Symphony audio interface. I've also inserted my PrimaLuna integrated between the Sugarcube and interface via tape out with the same result. Not only this, but I've level matched here best I could as there is also a pretty big level imbalance with the left channel being several db louder than the right.

Troubleshooting I've done. Ruled out all cables. Swapped L-R channels from the turntable to the Sugarcube and the issue stays in the same channel so the issue's not with the turntable. Swapped cables from Sugarcube to interface and channels follow...the R channel then becomes the one with the shaved off peaks and level imbalance. I was using RCA to 1/4" cables between the Sugarcube and interface so I just purchased some RCA to XLR cables to no avail. I've tried +4, -10 and mic input settings on interface and all the same. Using the balanced +4 or -10 XLR inputs defeats the input gain so I can't even adjust levels to match...I can only adjust the levels if I use the Mic setting. Also, same results using both Audacity and Logic.

I'm usually pretty good with these sort of things but I'm at a loss here. I'm fairly convinced the issue is with the Sugarcube. I've never upgraded the firmware so I guess that's next with my troubleshooting attempts.

Level matched example
    [​IMG]

With inputs gain both set at 0.
    [​IMG]

20. Looks like a limiter has been engaged on one of the channels (ie, on the louder sounding channel). That’s not a hardware issue—it’s software. Check your driver settings for your audio interface and whatever audio capture software you are using.

I do not believe there is limiter functionality in the Sugar Cube. Still, it probably wouldn’t hurt to update your firmware and see if that fixes things.

PineBark and Synthfreek like this.
  21. Synthfreek

I have the Clearmountain efx chain completely shut off on my audio interface. The affected channel moves to the R channel when switching cables from Sugarcube to interface.

22. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Is the Sugar Cube app reporting clipping?

23. Synthfreek

I'm not using any sort of Sugarcube app. I'm recording directly into either an audio editor or Logic via my interface.

24. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I'm with you. I keep it consistently at a 3, and it's great. May have to go up to a 5 with some more beat up records. Very rarely to I have to go into 8 or above territory.

merriment likes this.
  25. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The app reports if the SC detects clipping. At that point, the user can use the app to reduce the input levels to prevent clipping.