The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. frans callebaut

frans callebaut Well-Known Member

How can you see which firmware update your sugar cube has ?

2. frans callebaut

hello,
    are there now already upgrades for eliminating surface noise, as far as you know ?

3. One thing Id like on the SC-2 is having the power switch be more accessible (it's on the back, tough to reach in a rack). I know you can leave it on 24/7 but the unit gets pretty warm and I'd rather not be generating that much heat near my other components.

4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yes, that's what got me to pull the trigger.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You have a few options which work great with buttons which physically depress. If it features a button that is electronically triggering the on/off action, this won't really work. You can buy a power bar that you would could turn on/off whenever you use the SC. There are even remote controlled units you can buy if you'd prefer.

6. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

I bought a smart plug for my fisher 400. I just use Alexa to turn it on and off. Works well.

7. frans callebaut

what exactly do you mean ?

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

When I heard that software was added to the new version to deal with groove noise as well as pops and ticks I ordered one.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  9. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Looks like clapper went a long way since I used it... :hide:

Billy Budapest likes this.
  10. It’s a flip-type on-off switch, thanks for the suggestion.

11. Strat-Mangler

Perfect! Leave the Switch permanently to on, plug the unit in a power bar that you leave easily accessible and you can turn on/off the bar instead.

Shawn likes this.
  12. frans callebaut

with the new version you mean the sc-1 plus ?

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yes.

14. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

Taking a look at the SweetVinyl homepage, it seems the SugarCube SC-2 has been cancelled.

And the model to replace it (SugarCube SC-2 Mini/Phono) is nowhere available, yet.

15. You can purchase one here, with estimated shipping in September, 2019. Hopefully there won’t be any production hold ups.

Introducing the new SugarCubes by SweetVinyl

16. frans callebaut

hello,
    what about the SVNR firmware upgrade for the sc-1 ? any news of how and when this is going to happen for people like me who live in belgium ?

17. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Here’s the latest information on updates and new product releases that was emailed a couple of days ago from Sweet Vinyl (now that the current Indiegogo campaigns are ending):

——————————
    Hello SC-1 Mini Indiegogo Backers,

We are thankful you have backed the new SC-1 Mini and wanted to give you an update on status. The campaign closed a few days ago and Indiegogo will disburse the funds to us sometime next week.

We are in process on building the units – the board fabs are at the assembly house and our CPUs are set to be shipped this week. We have all the rest of the chassis, knobs, displays, cables, packaging, etc. in stock so this is straightforward to program and assemble, test and burn in the units.

We are planning to be at RMAF this next week and so we expect to be able to start the final assembly, test and programming the week we return and be able to ship your units mid-September.

Overall we are happy with the design and in the last few weeks with extended burn-in were able to find a slight tweak we want to make to a resistor value on the board assembly which will slightly improve our burn-in yield – otherwise the 10 units we have had burning in and testing have performed very well.

We also have an update to the app in the works, and plan to have 2.0 OS for the SC-1 Mini which will have improved pop & click removal implemented – this will go to all owners of SC-1 and SC-2 units – but we plan to ship this OS level with the SC-1 Mini first.

Please let us know if you have any questions – as we get close to shipping we will be reaching out to confirm shipping address, timing of delivery and for California residents – collecting sales tax as required.

If you will be at RMAF please stop in and see us, otherwise please know we are hard at work getting ready to have your unit sent to you.

Best,

-Dan
    —————————-

If anyone has questions, email Dan at Sweet Vinyl.

Mintsauce and Shawn like this.
  18. Old Zorki II

Can't wait for mine SC-1 mini! I do not have tons of beat up records, in fact most are NM. But! there are some worn out, plus tons of classical records where for some reason even rare clicks, pops and crackles drive me nuts..

scoutbb likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Have you compared those specific performances to their CD counterparts? In some cases, they might be identical in SQ while in others, they might not be.

20. Old Zorki II

Nope.

21. Strat-Mangler

Might be worth looking into. If there's one area digital music has the leg up on vinyl, it's the noise. It would drive me nuts as well.

22. Old Zorki II

I am listening classical mostly digital - simply because I like more modern performances. But my wife loves older, more "sentimental" performances, and we have plenty of records..
    And strings sound on vinyl record is always a little different, more natural to my ears...
    But not just classical. A lot of my records, while look pretty good, are 40-50 years old, so the pop and crackle somehow developed no matter what )). Of course it is way more tolerable with rock then with classical, but still...
    Sorry for off-topic.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

It's all good. Personally, I examine my LPs with my cell phone's white bright LED light which reveals every single imperfection. Otherwise, those same records look perfect even though they don't play like it.

If some of those older records are in mono, use the mono switch on your amp or buy one from our member (xmas111) since using a mono switch lowers the noise floor considerably, adds more cohesion to the presentation, and somehow lowers greatly the amount of crackle/pops one hears on playback.

I know you're getting an SC-1 Mini, but even without the crackle/pops, mono LPs would simply sound better when collapsed in true mono. Highly recommended and costs only about $30, IIRC.

hvbias and Old Zorki II like this.
  24. Old Zorki II

I do that sometimes, thank you. I discovered the same thing. My new RP-5 has mono button, and it improves a lot of records 50 years or older. Even a "true stereo" ones sometimes..

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  25. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

yes, I've bought some used older classical LP's in the past year that looked unscratched, but when played, have terrible popping and crackling. I can't stand it.