The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yes, I saw that....but I was referring to his comment that he’s disappointed that the existing SC-1 didn’t already have this function.

SweetVinyl likes this.
  2. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

I hadn't used my SC-2 for a while as we were away. On my return I noticed that it had updated to V2.0 *** and that the Store Recordings function now allowed me to save the recordings to whcichever laptop or PC I was using by way of a downloaded Zip folder by clicking on "Download to this device".
    From there I could obviously then pass it on to anywhere in my home network. No more having to use a USB stick to save and then transfer, so this was a very welcome inprovement.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  3. frans callebaut

frans callebaut Well-Known Member

that's true. i only have the sc-1 for a few weeks(didn't even know there was an sc-1 plus coming ) or i wouldn't have bought it and would have waited for the sc-1 plus. so, i hope i am not supposed to buy an sc-1 plus and throw my sc-1 away.

4. No problem! I would not have guessed that English isn’t your mother tongue!

My issue is really with The Absolute Sound’s constant use of the non-word. They have even referred to copies of original masters as “mastertapes,” so I think even they don’t know what they mean by it.

5. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

If you read SweetVinyl's answer, you will notice that this update you are hoping for (removal of hiss) will not be available for the SugarCube SC-1. You should return the SugarCube SC-1 for a full refund, if that is still possible, and buy a SugarCube SC-1 plus, that will offer the features you are looking for.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

He emails SweetVinyl, they answer. Then he asks the same questions here, where we and SweetVinyl both answer.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. jon9091

I’m confused. You starting asking questions about the differences back in June. It’s now September. So, when did you get it exactly?

8. SweetVinyl

SweetVinyl Forum Resident

Yes and we were first contacted in February where to buy an SC-1 (see below) - and there were many emails - and posts asking about alternate less expensive options for the next few months - then in June apparently a unit was purchased through the UK and Music Direct was being asked about how to set it up - so I think the buyer in this case knew what he was getting and did a fair amount of research and got it in June - and now wants the features of another model as well - and knows what to do to get them when it is made available for the unit - we do try and support even the most challenging situations.

Date: Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 12:41 PM
    Subject: sugar cube 1 available in europe
    To: [email protected]

Hello,

Where can i buy the sugar cube1 in europe, because when i buy it in the states i have to pay enourmus income taxes ?

Kind regards,

Frans callebaut

9. frans callebaut

about june 20th

10. jon9091

Well, that means you’ve had it for more than a few weeks, right? And...the announcement of the SC-1 plus and it’s features was back in April, and we’ve been discussing it in this thread constantly since that time. So, why then did you go ahead and buy the SC-1 on June 20? Additionally, Music Direct has a very liberal (and gracious) 30 day return policy on hardware purchases. Now, I realize you had to go through another vendor in the UK who got it from Music Direct...but did you even inquire about returning it within that 30 day time period? Even if you had to pay the shipping and a re-stocking fee?

Look, I’m not trying to give you a hard time here, but you’re asking the same questions again and again, and your time line just doesn’t make sense.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

By the way, his first contact with SweetVinyl was in February 2018. Basically almost a year and a half ago....

Strat-Mangler and jon9091 like this.
  12. frans callebaut

yes,, but i did not know of your discussing on the forum until the end of june ,when i had my sc-1 already, why did the uk deliverer didn't tell me about the upcoming sc-1 plus, before i bought it ?
    best regards,
    frans callebaut

13. frans callebaut

i had not the money then.

14. jon9091

Frans...I would say that’s a question for your UK distributor, but ultimately the research has to fall upon you. But, we’ve all been caught on the upgrade cycles on computers and electronics etc.. That’s the way it goes with technology.
    Look, the device you bought works as advertised, right? And it sounds like SweetVinyl is still going to continue to refine the the click and pop removal, as well as offer an upgrade path to the SVNR for those that are interested. So, you can either use the product as is for clicks and pops, upgrade it for the SVNR, or sell it yourself and do something else. I’m not sure what else you expect of them?

SweetVinyl and Ben Adams like this.
  15. matthew zagar

matthew zagar Well-Known Member

Nothing from the SweetVinyl group here.

16. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Alright-- I'm jumping into the deep end here...

I'm in for an SC-1 Plus.

- Kevin

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I think you're gonna be a pretty happy camper!

18. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

You won't be disappointed.

19. Joel Cairo

I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing **that** package on my doorstep...!

- Kevin

clhboa and Strat-Mangler like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

We hope to get a report after you've used it for a day. :)

21. frans callebaut

what exactly is needledrop ? sory for my bad english, i am from belgium.

22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

digital recording (often processed) of a vinyl record.

23. Joel Cairo

An excerpt from a short update sent out today, by Dan:

Dear SC-1 Plus backer

The 2.0 OS for the SC-1 is looking like it is on schedule and we are also updating our apps and web interface – so the software is on schedule. And we are testing the SVNR build we plan to ship currently.

We have the new SC-1 Plus mainboard in prototype assembly and test. The SC-1 Plus revision we are working on building the first three boards for has the ability to use the USB B port to connect to a computer and have the unit appear like an ADC (for recording to Audcaity, Vinyl Studio, etc) but also as a DAC so that you will be able to play files through it onto your sound system. We had to add a 2nd Xmos and bridge them to do this – but it does look like this will be a very nice additional feature for the Plus line.

Best,

-Dan

A nice upgrade, I think...!

- Kevin

jon9091 likes this.
  24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Wow, excellent. Nothing like this happens I assume to SC-1 mini, but not expected.
    However I also got email with news that units should be shipped out beginning of October.

25. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

Here was Dans news for the SC-1 Mini backers.

Dear SC-1 Mini Backer,

I checked on the boards yesterday for the SC-1 Mini at the assembly house and they had a little rework to do with some resistor values. We expect to get 40 of at the end of this week and then start assembling and testing. This will still take about 2 weeks to get the 40 units built and tested – so I expect we may have to ship first week of October – then we are going to build a second set of 50 units.

We are still working on some corner case issues with the Phono Stage unit and have the new SC-1 Plus mainboard in prototype assembly and test.

We have orders for approx. 90 units right now we are working off as backorders, but the Indiegogo orders will ship first.

Best,

-Dan