The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Let us agree to disagree )).

2. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

But are agree to agree, and disagree to disagree, the same thing? And what about disagree to agree?

3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

[​IMG]

4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Surely you jest!

5. chander

chander Forum Resident

This new SC1-Plus seems very interesting because of the usb output and the ADC/DAC integration. Now, say i have some old digitized streams full of click & pop, can i feed the SC1-PLUS with these streams (via my computer), cleaned them and get them back on my computer without any additional ADC/DAC conversion?

6. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

You can send to the SC-1 Plus from a PC, but it's not clear that you'd get that output back out or whether it only goes to the DAC. Logically, it would see feasible that you can send and return, but couldn't say yes with 100% certainty.

7. chander

chander Forum Resident

Would be really great if feasible.

8. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'm not **exactly** positive about the signal path, but everything I've seen leads me to believe that with an SC-1 Plus, you can only output the digitized & processed stream to your PC, and that there is no direct lossless route from the PC back through the processing chain of the unit.

What was described above is essentially the functionality of the SC-2, which actually stores the raw vinyl rip data inside the unit, and then allows the user to apply variable amounts of processing to the signal before outputting the sound.

- Kevin

9. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

I agree with Kevin.

At the moment there appears to be no digital "in" for the system. You must go through the integrated SugarCube ADC. You can then output digital or analog streams depending on model, and obviously store the digital feed on units with that capability. However, when I spoke with Sweet Vinyl at the recent Capital Audio Show, they advised me that it wouldn't be unwise to capture my hi-res digital rips, pops and clicks and all, for the day (coming soon) when a Sugar Cube product would allow me to use those rips as feeds in the digital domain.

I would expect that a "digital domain only" version of the SugarCube would not be technically difficult, given the current noise removal capabilities of the existing product. I think the more difficult issues would be a way to protect the intellectual property once the noise removal functions are isolated, in both hardware and software, from the other current SugarCube functionalities. And to price the resulting digital product in a way that both makes SweetVinyl some money and doesn't undercut their other products.

10. Stereolove

Stereolove Forum Resident

I agree. I have the Audio Desk Ultrasonic Record cleaner, and I think that, in combination with the SC1 Mini would be an awesome combination.

11. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I believe you are both wrong.

Dan, from SweetVinyl in an earlier post:

"The updated SC-1 Plus has all new hardware ... It will allow the SC-1 Plus to appear as an ADC and as a DAC allowing a computer or server to play files iver the SC-1 Plus DAC through your sound system."

12. Joel Cairo

Well, I hope I'm wrong... but I think that quote only refers to live signals coming through the SC-1 Plus. After processing, the digital stream can either go directly to a recording capture program OR been seen as a digitized stream that can then be played through the computer's music server controller (or perhaps both, simultaneously). In both cases, the signal has actually avoided going through the SC-1 Plus' DAC, so it skips the step of being turned back to analog sound.

However, I don't see any indication that a previously-recorded (digitized) raw source can be "pushed" in a lossless manner through the SC-1 Plus, and then be processed...

- Kevin

13. chander

chander Forum Resident

I think there is a digital IN and it seems you can feed the SC1-Plus with your own digitized rips, using it like a DAC with or without the removal options and send these "cleaned" streams to your amp but can you send back these streams to your computer BEFORE the DAC, that's the question?

Maybe it'll be only feasible with a...SC2-Plus xd

14. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

OK, I see what you are saying. Yes, it could be that it *only* acts as a DAC, given the wording, but to me it implies that the SC-1 will process the incoming signal. My inference could be wrong...

15. Joel Cairo

Dan has stated there will be a digital OUT on the SC-1 Plus to allow it to stream to a PC (through one of the USB jacks in the rear of the unit), but has not said anything about a digital IN...

- Kevin

16. chander

chander Forum Resident

[​IMG]

And btw, great update by Sweet vinyl (see their gorgeous new webpage).

SC2-Plus preordered!

DigMyGroove and clhboa like this.
  17. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

It is clear from his quote I posted above that there IS a digital IN - what remains unclear is whether it is click processed or simply passed to the DAC stage.

18. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

If the digital "in" currently included noise removal Lou and Dan would have told me 2 weeks ago at the Capital Audio Show, as it would have probably led to an immediate order. They instead advised me to wait a few months.

19. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Just checked out their new web site. Love the new SC-2 line. Earlier in this thread, I said that I was disappointed that they only had the SC-2 with phono stage on the Indiegogo site. They responded and said that they would look into other offerings in the SC-2 line and I'm impressed that they did. I'm definitely in for one, I just have to figure out the difference in the models.

20. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Looking it over, I’m probably going to go with the sc-2 mini. I don’t have any 78’s or tapes so I don’t think that the snr or the upgraded internal components is really worth it to me at this time. Maybe I’ll upgrade at some point, but not now.

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Just went all-in for an SC-1 Mini. Can't wait to try it out.

And the new website is great!

Dane Argentini likes this.
  22. Joel Cairo

That is a nice website upgrade...!

And I think I may have figured something out-- according to the website:

"When used as an ADC/DAC to a personal computer, the SC1 Plus can provide Click & Pop/SVNR after the ADC or before the DAC (or none at all.)"

So to parse this, if I interpret things properly, you can rip & process an LP, and capture that processed digital stream to your PC, without incurring another D--->A conversion (..."the SC1 Plus can provide Click & Pop/SVNR after the ADC").

OR, it is possible to take a previously digitized raw rip already on the PC and run it through the SC-1 Plus, and then output the processed analog sound for live listening ("...the SC1 Plus can provide Click & Pop/SVNR... ...before the DAC"). **But** you can't capture/save the digital version of the processed sound in a lossless manner-- it has to come out analog.

So if true, that's interesting....

- Kevin

23. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I was just about to say. I asked them about it awhile back and here’s the response I got:

“The Mini units play line-in sources so If you have a tape deck or other line in way to play them it will process those files like anything else, the downside here is that you would be digitizing your source a second time.

The SC-1 Plus and SC-2 Plus have a USB Computer Interface so that you can play back through the SugarCube digital files via its DAC and either process through Click and Pop and Surface Noise Reduction or not.

The ADC will also appear to the Computer as an ADC so you can take the results of the SugarCube Line In directly to programs like Audacity, etc.

Best,

-Dan”

24. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

My SC1 updated to 2.0 this morning. No chance to listen yet, however the display is now permanently on... cannot find a way to dim it?

25. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Just walked back into music room and it is now dim. Seems to be a much longer timeout.