The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Yeah. Back when I was an avid golfer I used to love to buff my balls before I played a round.

That physical connection can't be beat.

Must be very similar to playing vinyl.

:)

Jeff

r.Din likes this.
  2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Yep
    [​IMG]

luckyno13, r.Din, JorgeGvb and 2 others like this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It’s not attenuation as such. You can adjust the sensitivity of the click removal algorithm from 1-10, with 1 being lowest, 5 the default, and 10 the highest.

WDeranged likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

After all this time, I'm still baffled as to why this company hasn't produced a table that illustrates in easy fashion what the differences are between each of the many models they have!

What does the SC-1 Plus do that the SC-1 Mini doesn't?

Additionally, I see the frequency response being very different between these 2 models. Anyone care to guess how that impacts SQ in any way?

SC-1 Plus = Frequency Response = 10Hz to 75kHz -3dB
    SC-1 Mini = Frequency Response = 20Hz to 60kHz +/- 3dB

5. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

SC-1 Mini removes pops and ticks
    SC-1 Mini/Phono removes pops and ticks and adds a phono preamp
    SC-1 Plus removes pops and ticks and adds surface noise removal for 78s and tape.

6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I remember somewhere a table describing the differences on their site, but cannot see it any more.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

But these aren't the only differences as shown in the frequency response stats I pasted.

Thanks for posting that summary, though.

8. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The summary of model features is still on the main page: SweetVinyl

Just scroll all the way down.

9. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

10. Strat-Mangler

That's got to be one of the worst website design I've ever seen... even after 2 years of me being quite vocal about it. So many major design issues with this website and that's just the latest one; sticking the chart at the very bottom of the homepage where the lowest amount of people are likely to see it. Who makes these decisions for them? Seriously! It's as if nobody over there has ever taken a course in website design, ever used logic in planning out a website, or trusted someone with experience to create one. Baffling.

And they have no explanation that I can see about the discrepancy in frequency response either.

PATB likes this.
  11. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Here's a question for Ben, Eric or any other folks that have received their units...:

With regard to mono recordings, is there a discernable difference in how effectively the Sugarcube de-clicks the material if the record is captured in mono vs. stereo?

Just curious to see if anyone has run that test...

- Kevin

12. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

I have a SC-2 Mini. I have not noticed a difference in stereo or mono declicking. Please note that I play mono LPs with a mono cartridge.

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I also play mono records with a mono cart. Just had a session with some VG Tamla/Motown mono albums yesterday. They sounded beautiful through my SC-1.

paulewalnutz and keiron99 like this.
  14. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

The SC-1 Plus is a newer unit which does more, the differences are probably caused by newer more sophisticated A/D D/A chips and other components used in the newer unit. But as you say, hard to guess.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

@SweetVinyl I see the frequency response being very different between these 2 models. Please explain how that impacts SQ.

SC-1 Plus = Frequency Response = 10Hz to 75kHz -3dB
    SC-1 Mini = Frequency Response = 20Hz to 60kHz +/- 3dB

16. Louie Belt

Louie Belt Well-Known Member

Just received my SC-1 Plus and installed it my system. I am absolutely blown away by this unit. Even at level 5 I can tell zero difference in sound quality in bypass vs. repair.....and I am extremely critical. It is absolutely amazing how well it removes pops, clicks and scratches. It was worth the considerable wait it took to get it.

DigMyGroove, keiron99, r.Din and 2 others like this.
  17. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Call them or email them and ask. They responded to every email and phone call I ever made to them.

The SC-1 Plus has a feature designed to remove surface noise from 78s and tape. I would assume that feature involves the higher frequency response. The SC-1 Mini does not have that feature. Not many of us are going to hear anything over 20kHz anyway.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  18. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

My SC1-Plus has turned up. I noticed almost immediately that the display panel clear plastic audibly vibrates when music is playing. The bezel holding it came off quite readily and I removed the plastic piece to solve the issue and popped the bezel into place. But this now leaves the LCD screen exposed, so I'll take another look and see if I can secure the clear plastic in a way that doesn't vibrate...

Other than than the unit is performing as expected. Time to listen!

Old Zorki II and keiron99 like this.
  19. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Congratulation to all the new Sugar Cube owners, you are in for a treat. I hope some of the new users of the SC1-Plus or SC2-Plus units will share their impressions of the new SVNR feature and how it works on 78's surface noise and vintage LP's with analog tape his which are supposed to be the 2 main use cases.

keiron99 and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  20. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Just in case anyone is interested, I processed this album in two batches, both tracks and sides. After the second batch of tracks, I renumbered the second batch in the title to reflect the correct track number in the album. The second batch started from track 1, so I had around 15-20 duplicate track numbers which is why I renamed them in the titles. Renaming the titles doesn't effect the metadata tag but it helped because it made it easier to edit it in Jriver. I just went to the tags of the second batch of tracks and edited them in Jriver, which then changed the metadata tags. Hopefully this helps someone down the line.

WDeranged likes this.
  21. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

Forgive me if this has been answered...can anyone hear a difference between the unit in bypass and the unit physically removed from the audio signal path. I just wonder if it affects the sound, even in bypass.

22. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

FYI, my unit just received an update. Not sure what’s new.

23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

With my SC-2 there's no difference powered on and bypassed or with the unit turned off.

EDIT: I've never done a comparison with full removal of the SC-2. I really can't be bothered to go to that length. It's a fantastic device and works so well, as all of us owners state here. I think ultimately it's a question of the expense, and if you can live with the digital aspect in your chain. I know it doesn't matter in reality, but for some it seems wrong and they just can't go there. In my New York system Ive used the SC-2 with the Parks Audio Puffin. That's about as digital as it gets, and the sound quality was fantastic.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    clhboa and FrankieP like this.
  24. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I'd guess they mean with the SC totally disconnected to remove any passive components from the chain.

25. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

A fuller answer has been given. Thanks for pointing that out, just tired this evening!

WDeranged and Hogues like this.