The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

I see there is some network/wifi features, is it possible to use the SC-2 to stream to DLNA or Chromecast device ?

2. SweetVinyl

SweetVinyl Forum Resident

The SC-2 has a network connection to get updates automatically, query the SweetVinyl servers for artist, track and album information. In addition iOS, Android apps and web based HTML pages can access the unit to configure and control the SugarCube over the network.

The SugarCube SC-2 \ is not intended to be a storage device and stream to other devices but we do plan to allow it to save files to NAS servers after being recorded and edited. We also are planning to have other devices be able to use the internal DAC and render to it over DLNA - this should work with the SC-1 as well but this feature will be in a later release for both units.

3. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

It would be super great if I could plug some sort of USB storage into my SC-1 and have it write a 24/192 WAV file straight to that storage device, bypassing the internal DAC. Is that a feature we’d ever see?

Tremaindous likes this.
  4. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

Does anyone here use the software ClickRepair RT? Some say it is working similar or as good as the SugarCube does. Some even say it is part of the SugarCube.

5. SweetVinyl

There are basically two reasons we don't have a plan to do this:

Marketing/Business
    1. The SC-1 is intended to be a playback only system - that is why it costs less than the SC-2. When we did all our initial demonstrations and surveys of potential users two groups quickly emerged - people who wanted to record vinyl and have the noise removed and those who did not record Vinyl. Initially the split was 65%-35% in favor of recording. The SC-1 is the result of that where we removed the recording features. So trying to make the SC-1 have recording functions then blurs the lines between the products and then means we would need to charge more for it or sell an upgrade to a something less capable than the SC-2.

Technical/Architecture
    2. We have found that writing to a USB stick directly is not a good system architecture as we cannot control the formatting of the USB drive, if there are any errors on it, the state of the file system, or how much space is left which has resulted in errors on the recording and having to start over. This has caused many issues with user support and failed recordings. So in our new release we now write to main memory internally process the file locally in main memory with track splits, let the user edit it and then output it as separate step.

Next - The USB on the back of the SC-1 is USB 2.0 whereas the one of the front of the SC-2 is USB 3.0. The CPU in the SC-1 has less memory but so it would be possible to store a few sides - and then write out to USB 2.0. This could take as little as 1 minute with fast flash and FLAC 192k/24b - or as long as 10 minutes with slower flash and WAV 192k/24b. The SC-2 USB 3.0 does this in a minute or less in almost every case.

So while it is possible at this point we would prefer to keep the product differentiation and deliver a full feature set and good system performance.

An interesting idea and we will kick it around - but this would be a fair amount of work to have some SC-1s do this even if we did charge for it. And it is not clear how many SC-1 users would want to pay for this as our research showed there were many users not interested in recording.

keiron99 likes this.
  6. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

See my post from yesterday... I ran it through a Scarlet 2i2 and a dedicated mini win10 based pc (also tried my 2011 iMac) using this setup I could notice a change in the soundstage (slightly narrower and less depth) I’ve not noticed this with the SC-1 and it’s been brilliant so far.

dharmabumstead and Anton888 like this.
  7. dharmabumstead

I used ClickRepair briefly several years ago but abandoned it because I didn't care for how it worked or how it sounded.

I've found the SugarCube to be transparent, provided you follow the calibration process correctly.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It was just horrible sounding and a clunky interface to work with?

9. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I couldn't hold out any longer. I've ordered one as a Christmas present to myself :D

10. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

I meant ClickRepair RT not ClickRepair.

If you could achieve almost similar (sounding) results with a $ 40.- device, why pay thousands for the SugarCube?

11. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

It’s not a $40 device though... that’s what you pay for the java program and it’s unsupported. I spent about £275 (I think) by the time I’d bought a mini pc, focusrite and cables. I had fun doing it as I like to tinker, but it’s not for everyone and I spent an awful lot of time researching it all.

12. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Got this today. To say this thing is difficult to set up is the understatement of the century. You need a computing science degree. I've been at it for two hours and still cannot get it to connect to my computer or wifi. Taking a break, having a beer, trying again tomorrow.

Please, someone make a video tutorial!

13. SweetVinyl

Hi Keiron - we can have a quick chat via skype - it should only take about 5 minutes - unless there is a problem - email me at [email protected] and we can skype to see what is going on. Assuming you are talking about a SugarCube.

keiron99 likes this.
  14. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

That’s a shame it’s taken the edge off. Using the WiFi dongle and my iPad, I was up and running in 10 minutes. Hope you get it sorted quickly tomorrow.

keiron99 likes this.
  15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also had a lot of difficulty getting the app going with Wi-Fi. I found the solution was a physical hook up to a computer then following Sweet Vinyl's instructions. Once did that I've had no trouble with my unit finding the network or using the iPhone app. In addition I've watched as the SC-2 is getting updated while idle.

keiron99 and Mintsauce like this.
  16. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Just a quick update after the troubles I had last night! Many thanks, Dan at SweetVinyl for your offer (and also for the post above that really helped.) However, I think by the time I revisited the job this morning it was probably a rather inconvenient hour for you in California!

I'll write more with my thoughts and questions in the near future but for now I am delighted to say I am up and running, although Lord knows how.

And here's my executive summary: The Sugarcube is a miracle. I kid you not. I've been waiting all my life for this :D. I've only had it running for 6 hours or so and I can safely say that no single piece of equipment I've bought in 40 years has been as significant as this to me.

What on earth is going on inside that black box of tricks, I do not know. It's surely witchcraft.

And here's the thing, although I know may simply will not believe it: it is completely transparent to my ears. I have decent kit (Technics SL1200G, AT15o MLX, Lehman phono, beast of a Rotel amp, Harbeth M30.1 speakers) and I simply cannot tell when it is in and out of circuit.

Right, off to enjoy an evening of silent vinyl :edthumbs:

Ben Adams, PATB, clhboa and 2 others like this.
  17. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Very happy for you, glad you like it! I’m thrilled with mine, I’ve pretty much just left it on 5 since I had it and it’s always in the loop.

dharmabumstead and keiron99 like this.
  18. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

On the Web browser, in "Audio Tuning", there are two buttons. One for "Monitor" and one for "Set Default".
    What are they for?

19. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

So happy to hear if your great experience with the Sugarcube! It is a box of magic that’s for sure, and I only regret not buying an SC-1 along with the SC-2 at the indiegogo price point so I could have Sugarcubes in bith my NYC and L.A. systems, but FedEx may be the fix for that when the time comes.

*BTW, I wrote my reply to your query from New York

keiron99 likes this.
  20. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

SC-1 or SC-2?

21. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

The SC1

Anton888 likes this.
  22. dharmabumstead

It's hard to overemphasize how important it is to calibrate this thing with the included 7" calibration record when you first set it up - otherwise it won't sound right. Once you get it calibrated properly, yeah, it's an indispensable piece of gear!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  23. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

SC-1 or SC-2?

24. dharmabumstead

I have an SC-1, but I would assume you'd have to do the same thing for the SC-2.

vudicus likes this.
  25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I have an SC-1 and just used the default setting, never actually bothered with the calibration record.
    I assumed that was just a freebie to make sure your turntable was set up properly (which it is). :hide:

Oh well, that's my weekend plans sorted! :biglaugh: