The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

The documentation needs an overhaul - it doesn't call the calibration process out enough.

The calibration also seems to adjust the input gain of the SC-*. I ran mine without doing the calibration at first and and found that the SC-1 *wasn't* transparent when I tested with the bypass switch, but it was after I did the calibration.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    vudicus likes this.
  2. KevinG

KevinG Well-Known Member

The SC1 is on my radar and I am so close to making it happen.

3. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

There’s several tracks on the disc but it only seemed to use track one and was done. Any idea what the others are for?
    Mine was clipping before I calibrated it.

4. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

dharmabumstead likes this.
  5. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I think they may be for just testing your hifi generally. Not sure.
    A forum member kindly sent me this link to an article in HiFi World.
    https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/shop/product/viewfile?FileId=4708&ProductId=767

They too focus on the "malarkey of setup" (as they put it!) and talk quite a bit about the setup disc.

I'm still really not sure that I did it right. Sorry to repeat my questio from above, but on the web browser, in "Audio Tuning", there are two buttons. One for "Monitor" and one for "Set Default" - does anyone know what these are?

Mintsauce likes this.
  6. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I ran it twice as I wasn’t sure if it had finished correctly, it’s just a bunch of code with a tiny message at the end. They need to sort out the presentation of this aspect as it doesn’t instill confidence.
    One thing that is good about it is the fact it volume matched my system, so the phono output is pretty close to the line inputs. I could never achieve this with my previous Clickrepair RT setup which I had to turn the volume up for.

7. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Does anyone have any further information on progress with the proposed new software for removing "vinyl roar"?

Perhaps @SweetVinyl could update us?

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

i just borrowed this from a friend. Will do some needledrops soon and report back how it goes!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I wouldn't count on it. He hasn't been back in a month and the company's personnel is spread quite thin... and they aren't the most communicative bunch, perhaps due to lack of time more than anything.

10. Strat-Mangler

For those wanting an SC-2, there's one on USAM.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you have an issue with vinyl roar I suggest (a) try a line contact design (b) a better deck and arm. Especially heavy well damped platter. Certainly something far more noticeable on my Pioneer PLX 1000 than Michell Orbe combo. Alternatively if you can't abide any vinyl artifacts try digital. In effect the Sugarcube is digitising your vinyl albeit in a relatively benign way. I think the main purpose of this device is to make mildly thrashed or faulty vinyl playable. Archivists dream were tapes no longer exist.

56GoldTop likes this.
  12. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Well, I think an SL1200G and AT 150MLX qualify as at least half decent!

Vinyl "roar" is only a problem with certain records.

And regarding digitizing vinyl, well, we've had that debate before and I'm not going there again. I have personally no problem with it. And, I would confidently bet that in my system you would not notice when the Sugarcube is active. It is totally transparent to me.

Heck, even the founder of Linn couldn't even detect when a Sony 16bit (at best) ADC/DAC was in and out of circuit in his analogue replay system.

The Sugarcube has elevated my enjoyment of vinyl to a level I've never experienced in 40 odd years.

13. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

What is "USAM", please?

14. Strat-Mangler

15. Eno_Fan

Eno_Fan Staring into the abyss: Brockman BIF, Pilbara WA

Yes, good review. For my money, digitising vinyl at any stage is a no-no (unless it's specifically for needledrop rather than listening). And yet...

Having read Fremer's review and being impressed by the extraction results of the SC-1 algorithm from the audio samples of removed noise on the Audio Appraisal site (SweetVinyl SugarCube SC-1 Vinyl Click & Pop Remover Review - Audio Appraisal ), I found myself thinking what a boost this could be for vinyl today if we could only do this WITHOUT having to digitise the audio signal.

Well, how about this. Have the Sugarcube pass the phono signal to both the ADC and an analogue delay-line and then add that coverted-back-to-analogue click-and-pop signal back to the analogue audio but 180° OOP (with the analogue audio time-delayed by the requisite n-milliseconds for the two signals to match). Then, the signal will be entirely analogue as the digitised (A-D to D-A) click-component added to it will sum to 0 db and won't be audible (or even audio), the analogue audio completely unmolested (assuming that the ~ 0.5s delay can be achieved transparently) but for the clicks and pops being masked by their digitised difference signal. Make that difference-signal exactly amplitude-equivalent and why wouldn't this work?

The benefits of both worlds, without digitisation of the audio...

16. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Had an SC-2 on pre-order (from UK dealer) since November 1st. The waiting... the wanting!

17. 926am

926am Senior Member

I am using a marantz 2230. No phono preamp . The marantz has a knob to switch from phono aux and tape. The tape does have line in and line out. Will the sugarcube work?

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Yes. Set the Marantz to play phono and have the Sugarcube connected to the Tape 1 input/output, and listen with Tape Monitor on.

926am likes this.
  19. 926am

926am Senior Member

Thanks.

20. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

I had the sugar cube SC-1 in early 2018. I had some problems with electronic music that the SC-1 mistook music transients as clicks/pop. It was easy to hear if one listen to what was removed from the sound. Like here on Front 242 - Until death (us do part) from the album "Front by front". Front242.flac - Delafil.se

Do anyone know if there have been any updates past 6-9 month on the algorithm? I would LOVE to get the SC-1 again if it could fix this issue, as it did work really well on "normal" music. But I listen to a lot of electronic music (NIN, Aphex twin, Chemical brother, etc) and don't want to have a feeling that the SC-1 are removing more than the pops and clicks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    c-eling likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

There are different settings. Which one removed more than pops/clicks?

22. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I want to try one of these, but feel like I will get lost in the setup... I am using a McIntosh MEN220, so I am not even sure how/if/where the SC-1 would go in the chain, or how to even connect it properly. Then there are the stories I read about set up being clunky, and I fear being unable/frustrated with the thing once it would arrive.

I really want one, but I have to admit a little fear is holding me back...

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah I'd hold out for the next model with new improvements.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  24. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Yeah. Problem is, if not enough folks buy this model, there may not be a round 2... :/

25. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

All of them.