The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

I'd love to send a couple of my RL Led Zeppelin II albums to have a shoot out before plunking down the cash to buy this. Would be cool to compare a Mint copy with a Good copy.

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

In a week or so I'll make a sample from my very used RL LZII, please stand by....

kronning, dkswaff and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

OK. I have questions, because the examples provided thus far have been, to me, astonishing...

1. Is the SC-1 the same thing as the SC-2, save for recording (which I don't care about) and metadata so I can see album art/notes etc. (which I also don't care about)... any other differences?

2. So, this has a built in DAC? I am using a McIntosh C47. Decent DAC, methinks. Likely not earth shattering, but good. If I like the C47 DAC better, can it be used, or do I have to use the SC-1/2 DAC? OR, is it not using a DAC really... ie. It converts A to D to A so essentially it is sending an analog signal to my phono stage??? Is that right?

3. Last... IF I got an SC-2 and recorded music, how easy is it to playback? Ie. I saw the video where you simply plug in a large enough USB, hit record, done. But once on the stick, THEN what? Could I put it into my Oppo 103D in my home theater and listen to songs? Are they named automatically via metadata or do I see file gibberish and have to name all the songs? Are they easily grouped and categorized? Sorry... this is all very new to me...

Appreciate the feedback!! TY!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  4. DigMyGroove

Glad to know of your astonishment, that’s how I feel every time I use the SC-2!

1. As far as the noise removal function goes, yes, the SC-1 and SC-2 are the exact same electronics.

If I recall correctly from the live demo I attended, the SC-1 will also identify the album and tracks via the database it links to via your wifi network and diplay that on it’s simple screen. The SC-2 has a larger LCD screen capable of displaying album art and photos too.

From my experience thus far it will locate the correct metadata, but sometimes will offer a photo of the artist rather than the album cover. Bear in mind this aspect of the devices is in the beta testing stage.

2. The Sugarcubes use their own dedicated DAC, you cannot bypass it, it’s an integral part of the design that allows it to work it’s magic.

There are a few ways to hook up these units, I have mine in line following the turntable, then sending on the analog signal to my phono stage which goes to my amplifier. Should I have no need to use the Sugarcube if I’m playing a perfect, quiet record, I simply press the Bypass button.

3. At present with the recording software still in development you can either record single tracks or a complete album side. The software gives the files basic organizationsl names which you are then free to change. Currently the SC-2 records flac only, but I recall from the live demo that once finalized the software will allow you to record to all the major formats.

From my computer I played my test recordings using Audirvana, I simply added them to a playlist. In order to get the files converted to Apple lossless for my iPhone I converted them using an application called Waltr, though I’m sure there are other options for that out there. But Waltr was inexpensive and it worked, installing a file on my phone as well as creating a twin .aiff file on my desktop which can be added to iTunes.

Please note again, this aspect of the SC-2 is not completed, but once it is there should be no difficulty in the device automatically doing all the tracksplitting and metadata work, that’s the ultimate goal and the promise made by the development team. In the meantime it does the noise removal flawlessly and I’m a happy (and patient) Beta user who got a great deal by going in on this early. I only wish I’d been able to buy two, one for each city I spend my time in.

Since the Sugarcubes do so well at removing the noise from records transparently, I think it also reduces the need and what can be a considerable expense of vacuum record cleaning. I’m in no way suggesting we not clean dirty records, but to do the job at the highest level requires a fair anount of effort and the expense of a serious record cleaning machine. That could be $500, $800, or up to $3,000+ For ultrasonic. For myself that’s not something I want to do, a basic Spin Clean helps a lot though it’s obviously not in the same league as a bona fide vacuum cleaning machine. But the bottom line is that by using the Sugarcube I will be treated to perfectly quiet playback that does not sound any different than pure analog playback despite the digital stage, and without the need for such a cleaning process.

For those dedicated record cleaners out there I’m in no way criticizing your choice in going that route. If you have the time, dedication, and dollars to do it the best way I salute you. For me there’s now another way to achieve the same results in my ears (if not in the grooves).

Wired4Fun, Strat-Mangler and amgradmd like this.
  5. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Does it matter whether you are in putting the SC-2 in between the turntable and phono stage or between the phono stage and the preamp? Do they recommend on over the other?

6. DigMyGroove

If setting it up in line as I have, then the Sugarcube follows the photo stage so the amplified signal can then be sent on to your main amp. The other way is to connect it to the tape loop which I've not tried. The Sugarcube does however have it's own headphone amplifier jack, so you can listen to it that way before the signal goes out to your phono stage.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  7. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

I'm confused. How is the SC-2 is supposed to record a file with RIAA curve integrated if it is before the phono preamp? It doesn't make sense to me \ to record without RIAA correction if you want to play files elsewhere.

8. DigMyGroove

My apologies, you are correct, the Sugarcube follows the phono stage, I've edited my last post. I'm here in L.A. with a very bad flu, far across the country from my system that has the Sugarcube.

amgradmd likes this.
  9. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

@DigMyGroove Thank Your SO much for the detailed response. Very much appreciated:)

I absolutely love the idea of this, and I could see it benefiting noisy records that my record cleaning machine and static gun, fail to make quiet.

I have a Rage Against the Machine LP that is noisy as heck. Cleaned. Static gunned. Brushed. NOTHING did the trick. Would love to hear this played through the SC-2!

I wish I had gotten in on this during the Kickstarter phase, but I had no idea it existed.

Oh well. The samples provided sounded amazing to me. I have a feeling one will be in my rig very soon.

:)

DigMyGroove likes this.
  10. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

So, I have been thinking about this for the last 24 hours... Here are my thoughts.

I am not sure I can bring myself to pay $3,000 for something that was $1500 a few months ago. I GET IT, and I understand it, and I appreciate the fact that indiegogo is a far different model from retailing/e-tailing. Still, the value prop suffers dramatically for me when these things occur. It's like missing a sale, and feeling like at the SALE price, the product was good value, but at full price, perhaps you don't REALLY need it.

MusicDirect seems to be the only place selling it right now. They are unable to offer any discount on it; 15-20% and I likely would have swallowed my pride and pulled the trigger.

As usual, the rep on the phone was nice. I just can't decide if the asking price now is too high for my emotional ROI.

Side note: How many interconnects would I need if running this off of a McIntosh C47 and MC275 amp? 1 set or 2? #confused

So, we shall see. I love the idea of this. I love the concept.

Still, currently, the shipping is delayed as they do not have packaging. The product appears to still be in software Beta for many of the functions, and yet, FULL RETAIL price is all that is available. Seems a big ask. Maybe I am wrong, but that is how I am feeling.

What say you all? Do I need to just stop whining, LOL. Is $3k a "reasonable price" when it is delayed, software is not 100% yet, and it sold for half only months ago? Again, I understand WHY. I appreciate it, even. I just am finding it difficult to reconcile emotionally, as $3k is a lot of coin for an add on device.

Thanks for listening and sharing. :)

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Having recently dusted off my 40 year old Yamaha P-300 to play albums from my old collection and those from recent box sets the SugarCube looks very interesting. But I agree with Wired4Fun in that the price is just way too high for me to consider it. Hopefully this technology will over time trickle down into products that are more affordable. Then I'll consider it as even with brand new vinyl the clicks and pops are an issue.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

@Wired4Fun Life is not fair. You can protest all you like but in the end, those are circumstances out of your control. I can't tell you the number of sales and opportunities I've missed out on due to bad timing, finances, or (same as you, in this instance) lack of info.

There are other ways. For instance, you could buy a copy of ClickRepair which includes the RT version, an extra PC, and record that way, then manually separate each track, and add the ID3 tags.

Or you could swallow the pill and pony up the 3K to have the convenience of not having to configure everything and manually do everything the SC-2 does automatically. Or you could wait a year or two to see if any used units appear for sale or if the price ever goes down.

If you want this right here right now, you don't have a choice but to spend the 3K. Otherwise, you choose between a (by comparison) convoluted setup/process and waiting with no promise of seeing a lower-priced unit in the future.

krisbee and Wired4Fun like this.
  13. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Life isn't fair? I had no idea! #sarcasm ;)

I appreciate your feedback... Nothing I didn't already know. I am not "protesting", per se... just trying to get a little emotional support on a bigger purchase LOL ;)

Also, kinda' whining about no discount. But hey, who doesn't like a deal!

14. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

As much as it'd be nice to own the Sugarcube SC-2, I think it might be better to spend the money on records that are in better condition... unless one happens to own a metric tonne of rare and expensive records that are in less-than-ideal condition.

15. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

True. $3,000 is at least 100 records, or more, and that is something! :)

nosliw likes this.
  16. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I can definitely see that point of view. That does buy a lot of records. But I think I'm at the stage where I'm pretty satisfied with my record collection (at least as satisfied as us obsessives can get) and mainly want to get maximum enjoyment out of my records while I'm still drawing breath. So $2,000 (for the SC-1) while steep, seems like a good investment to enjoy virtually silent LPs through the golden years.

nosliw and Wired4Fun like this.
  17. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Also, can anyone confirm whether I need one or two sets of interconnects? Again, using McIntosh c47 preamp and mc275 amp.

Thanks!

18. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

It is looking more like Q2 for this thing to hit the shelves

19. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Yeah. As I shared above, I was told they hit a snag with packaging. When that is solved, the units are ready to ship. They just don’t have boxes...

20. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I was told they have not completed delivering to people who signed up for the indiegogo campaign

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

How does the SC-2 do the recording? Does it all of the audio capture and track splitting and tagging on the SC-2 itself and then save the files to a USB hard drive that you connect to the SC-2? Does it allow for recording over the network (ethernet) connection and having the recording captured to a network connected Windows or Mac? Does it rely on an iOS or Android app to control that or can a network connected Windows or Mac also control the recording process?

22. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

*gulp

23. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

If only the SC-2 is capable of recording, then what is the purpose of the 10/100/1000 ethernet port on the less-expensive SC-1 model?

24. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Software updates, and the app can display album info etc... Possibly other uses I am unaware of, but those come to mind :)

I love the idea of this device. I am coming to terms with the price... Maybe I'll go throw on a noisy record, and be inspired to order it :) As for delivery times, I fully expect it to be a while, and if it is less, then I will be pleasantly surprised. Still undecided, though.

25. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I might have missed it in the thread, but has anyone commented on the Analog to Digital to Analog conversion that this would require. Seems like it would nullify all the money spent on a nice analog rig. Anyone that has one have any input?