The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

The SC-1 has always been $2k via MD.

The SC-2 is the one that is $3k ;)

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's a little strong. I merely pointed out your inexperience in owning, operating, or hearing one "live" which is a reality.

Your points aren't anything that hasn't already been mentioned. It's not wacky logic but as @Ham Sandwich eloquently pointed out better than I ever could, your (and my own) digital playback chain will inevitably affect the results and hearing one "live" without any additional processing might yield a different opinion after putting it through its paces... assuming the engineering team did their homework.

In the end, it's all about whether one hears a difference. People's biases often cloud their judgment. What they see or, in this case, are made aware of the nature of a device, it can oftentimes color the results of one's opinion. Any posted sample from an LP online is done by digitizing it, therefore it doesn't make much sense for me to put much stock in your opinion based solely on your digital bias. Most people, in my experience, do not have the ability for pure objectivity but rather argue what they can to obtain bias confirmation. This is no slight on you. Rather, it's human nature.

That's a blanket statement ignoring many elements which contradict its main point but I'd rather not deviate the thread from its initial topic.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally agree with this assessment. I see many comment here on SH that listening to vinyl is a "pure" analog listening experience. I'm sure the Sugarcube is an excellent component and does a fine job of removing clicks and pops. But it does introduce additional processing removing the "pure" analog listening experience. I also think the cost is a bit steep and think the product won't be that successful unless the cost is lowered.

MisterNines likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

On paper, sure. Whether one can hear that extra step is up to the individual listener.
    Agreed 100%. It's far too niche right now. It makes sense that most people buying this device will have a vinyl playback rig of a certain caliber and with a price tag to probably exceed the cost of this device and these users would need to be aware of the existence of this device, want to buy it, and have an extra 2-3K burning a hole in their pocket to get one.

That's an extremely small pool of prospective buyers, IMHO.

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Very true. But there's no denying that there's additional processing taking place removing the "pure" analog experience.

I totally agree. When the Sugarcube or components like it hit the $500-$1000 price range they will be very popular IMO.

Hogues, nosliw and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I agree for 5 or 6 hundred bucks it would be a no brainer. Would only use it on my WORST records which are difficult to enjoy because of clicks and pops. . I am assuming it could be totally bypassed for playing the other 95% of my collection.

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

MisterNines and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

9. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I’ll be honest, I want one. As stated previously, I don’t feel it’s a “$2000” value to me.

That said, not only did the price increase (maybe it had to, I don’t know) but it looks as though Music Direct is selling it exclusively... and they don’t accept Paypal, which is a problem for many.

Just some points to ponder.

Anyone know if it is available anywhere other that MD?

10. jon9091

That’s interesting. Maybe MD jacked up the price to be the exclusive reseller.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I don't understand why people have issues with the prices being raised AFTER the crowdfunding campaign has ended. That's just the way that $hit works.

krisbee and Ham Sandwich like this.
  12. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Agree that prices being raised after a crowd fund is the norm. Not disputing that. Just don’t like the new price, is all ;) But it’s fair! Price is dictated by what the market allows :) I’m all good with that.

My real point was the curiosity around Music Direct being the only seller...

13. jon9091

Not the same thing at all. Everyone knows that the crowdfunding price is not the retail price.
    That isn’t what happened here. They announced what the retail prices were going to be...and then when they actually became available, they had jacked them up another $500 bucks . So, they look like sleaze balls. That sh!t may be ok for you...but not for me.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  14. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

It’s a cool idea but I can’t keep thinking about how many NM records I could buy for $2,000.

Bill_H and Wired4Fun like this.
  15. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I recently contacted Sweet Vinyl with a few questions about the SC-2 but received no response. I guess a $3000 piece of equipment is just supposed to sell itself.

16. Strat-Mangler

How long ago was this? It is a very small operation, from what I remember.

17. 926am

926am Senior Member

How well are these selling? Think prices will drop? 2000 for the sc-1 is a bit steep. I was all in when the price was supposed to be 1200-1400.

18. Strat-Mangler

I was quite interested but I've been a member of a couple of campaigns and some of them didn't pan out. One cost $350 and the head of the operation was dishonest, and that is being kind. Most people lost their money. Only reason I came out on top was because the guy was local. I was able to pick up my item right before the whole fiasco.

Putting about $1500 with no promise of having anything to show for it was too much of a risk to me. I agree that the doubling of the price was surprising.

19. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Ah, well I'll give them more time to get back to me. Thanks for letting me know.

20. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I wrote them about 2 or 3 weeks back, asking to send my own 24/192 wav transfer of an LP side to see if they'd run it through the SC2 and send it back so I could compare their device to my own method (Izotope RX manual de-clicking). They replied within hours, told me to send it via DropBox. They processed and sent it back within a few hours. I intentionally used a 43 year old Sun Ra record for the sample, in VG+ condition, but with plenty of ticks and pops, as well as a good deal of Sun Ra 'sounds' to discern from a click too.

I was fairly impressed with the result, probably better than just using Izotope on automatic.
    I would say it was good, but not great, my manual de-clicking is far superior, but obviously very time consuming.
    Like others, if it were <$1,000 I might be a buyer for the SC2.

21. Strat-Mangler

NP. But when did you send your questions? Just curious.

22. digitalzed

digitalzed Well-Known Member

They have delivered most, if not all of the units. hey are for real.

23. digitalzed

They are a 5 person operation. It's always taken them a few days to get back to me but they always ha
    I know they plan to offer units at more competitive prices in the near future.

24. digitalzed

It was a matter of producing enough units and going with a company that had broad enough reach and marketing power to get the word out there. MD won't be the only reseller going forward.

25. digitalzed

This is a good read and very accurate as far as the changes that happen with the sound. Sweet Vinyl’s SugarCube SC-1 Real Time Pop and Click Remover—Any Good?