The Superball Trick works!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Thank you Metralla for supplying a link to Mark Gdovin's comments on Tweaker's Asylum!

I spent $3.00 on 12 superballs (25 cents each) from a gumball type machine outside my local WalMart. Cruising through the Home Depot, I picked up 12 3/4 inch washers to hold them steady. The inside hole of the washers are deep enough so that they hold the superball without letting the superball touch the shelf.

I have not tried to glue the superballs and washers with contact cement yet. I refuse to glue them directly to my components! I have superball feet for the pre, amp and CD player.

I have the flexy DIY shelves which were a great improvement over what I had previously (wood racks).

This trick is another leap forward. A lot more detail, etc! Amazing!

The only weird thing is that the components "bounce" a bit when you turn off the CDP. No biggie.

http://db.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=tweaks&m=71904

If you have no isolation devices on your system, you should give these a try! And it's soooo cheap!

Have fun! :)

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Gary - sounds interesting (and cheap :) ) - but what on earth are superballs, gumballs (we don't have Walmart either)

All the best a most intrigued - Andrew

3. Gary

A superball is a very high bouncing ball. I've seen them in 1 inch round balls to 2.5 inch round balls. It is solid all the way through and comes in lots of colour combinations. In the olden days, they were black.

They were cool because if you whipped them at the ground they'd go waaaay over your head. (Whipped = North American for "throw hard"). If you drop them on the ground, they'd come back pretty close to your hand. If you used gentle wrist action, they'd bounce back to your hand, no problem. But if the ball hit a rock or piece of uneven pavement, look out! Off it flew and you were running willy-nilly down the road after it! (willy-nilly = English for frantic chasing) :D

A gumball is chewing gum formed in a round ball with a shell. It's hollow and edible. Does not bounce at all!

Superballs are a toy ball and are not edible! ;)

A gumball machine is a machine that you drop a quarter or dollar coin into, and by turning a handle, it dispenses a round object or small amount of candy. Like superballs, gumballs, smarties, etc.

Easy, huh? Perhaps you should be aware that 70% of our food is sugar based. Sugar is more plentiful than water. ;)

Just kidding about that last part.....

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

When I was a tot in the '60s they were all black, bigger than they are today and called "Whammo! Superball!". Came in a blister pack with cardboard top, IIRC. Fun to play with, but eventually some of us idiots came up with the idea we could use them for baseballs instead of wiffle balls.

Well...you can guess the rest. We broke several windows and caught all kinds of hell(nice thing about being a loose gang of kids on a housing block: unless there was a genuine eyewitness, no way to prove WHO hit the ball, only that most of us were there when it happened:rolleyes: . Superballs were soon banned from the Navy housing project, and, well...we kept our superballs to ourselves. Just heavily compressed rubber, now diminished today as candy bars, Fig Newtons and Chips Ahoy! cookies look like dimes compared to the fifty-cent pieces of yesteryear. But they STILL BOUNCE, bless 'em. Problem is, I dont' care anymore. These days, the only bounce I'm grateful for is that I still have a little 'pep' some mornings.

ED:cool:

5. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Those super balls were deemed dangerous to the public welfare and were outlawed by Ralph Nader. Just kidding!

What could you really do with those super balls anyhow? Somebody made
    millions on them. I'm glad that after 35 years some audiophile was able to
    discovered a use for them. I think I try that one myself.

Andrew - did they at least have Slinkys in the UK?

6. aashton

Oh yes after the bouncy balls were banned they made Slinkys compulsory - about the same time they banned knockers as well (two hard plastic balls on a string that you knocked together but tended to shatter, fly off and kill people).

Toys today just aren't the same - they've taken all the risk out of playing ;)

All the best - Andrew

7. Gary Freed

It didn't take much to entertain our generation.

Bottle caps was a favorite game of mine.

I don't know what some kids would do today without a TV set and a Sony Play Station.

8. Gary

Apparently there has been a 25% increase in the average IQ because of playstations, computers, the internet, etc.

BTW they still make the "original" Whamo Superball. $4.99.

Not bad. I should probably get one.... for what reason, I don't know. I DO have a baseball bat, though. ;)

9. Gary Freed

As a result of Playstation games, the Airlines and the Military have little problem finding new recruits for air pilot training school...:laugh: :)

10. aashton

Gary - from the Statistic Audit Encyclopaedia I have been reading since Santa delivered it me a few days ago - in 1735 the average IQ was around the 100 mark and by co-incidence the same value was recorded in 1946, 1967 and 2001 :eek: Actuaries have also predicted that the same score will be registered again in 2067 on the centenary of the 1967 audit ;)

All the best - Andrew

11. Gary

Interesting year, 1967! It is famous for being Canadashire's Centennial! I remember visiting the Centennial Train that travelled through Canadashire as a young laddie.

Personally, I can't wait for the 2067 celebrations! :) It should be pretty spectacular!

12. Gary Freed

Hi Gary,

I visited EXPO '67 in Montreal. I still have memorablia that I bought there.
    One of the best times I ever had.

What was Canadashire's Centennial?

13. Gary

The Centennial is simply 100 years of being a nation! Expo '67 was to celebrate the 100 years (that's how we viewed it, anyway!) Our charter (The Dominion of Canada) was granted in 1867 to become independant of England. We created our own flag at that point, too. The old Canadian flag was red with our coat of arms on it. The Queen is still formal head of state with the Governor General being her representative here in Canada.

You guys had your bi-centennial recently, didn't you?

When war was declared in 1914, Canada was automatically in it. Some say that the battles that Canadian troops fought in WW1 helped us be reconized on the world stage. In WW2, we actually waited a few days before declaring war, thus asserting our independance.

Sorry for the history lesson! I believe superballs were in plentiful supply in 1967!

http://naid.sppsr.ucla.edu/expo67/

14. Gary Freed

Gary,

Thanks for the link to the '67 Expo site and for the Canadshire's Centennial
    backround info. I remember the Metro ride underneath the St. Lawrence River. I became a bit concerned about riding in a train underneath the water.:laugh: :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.