The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC low, Ortofon 2M Black, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Ortofon Quintet Black, Shure VxMR (headshell adjustment needed for the cart’s mounting holes to line up), Nagaoka MP-500, Zyx Yatra (III, IIRC), Clearaudio Maestro 2 and a few others have all worked well.

I’ve also found that the standard Technics headshell provides the best compatibility with the 1200G tonearm. In my experience the stock headshells (usually available from KAB and other reputable sources) provide the best interface between a wide variety of carts and the tonearm.

I use the Feikert alignment protractor and a Musical Surroundings Fozgometer to do all cart installations.

snorker likes this.
  2. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I don't think it's clear to others what you mean...
    Lock the arm? VTA lock on the tonearm base or the locking clip on the tonearm rest?
    I don't see how the cueing lever would move without touching it?
    If you mean locking the tonearm onto the locking clip: don't do that with the tonearm lift up - it may damage the suspension/lift mechanism.

4. Robert Godridge

Thanks for your reply. I meant the clip on the tonearm rest.
    So I should have the cuing mechanism down when the tonearm is locked into it's rest?

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You really, really have to read the user manual supplied with your SL 1200GR. You're asking basic questions covered by and illustrated in the manual. Asking them here, without the benefit of images and using imprecise descriptions makes it really hard to sort out what you're trying to do. Read the user manual for such basic guidance.

snorker and recstar24 like this.
  6. Robert Godridge

Just realised that I get some subsonic rumble on this turntable even when the power is unplugged! this is with the shure v15, with a goldring g800 I get hum rather than rumble. What on earth? I had both these on my rotel rp1500 previously and thought the hum was just the deck. I will say though if I move the interconnects (the supplied ones) that also makes noise and increases or decreases the hum/rumble but it never goes away completely. To be clear, this doesn't effect the music but is definitely audible when no music is playing through headphones. Honestly, the only tt I've had with no hum was the pro-ject debut carbon which sucked in various other ways, but really, a £2000 rrp deck doing this?
    In all other respects I am delighted. I have only had it set up a few hours and I genuinely have never heard sustained notes like it...

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Please tell me you’ve followed @Agitater ’s instructions and read the manual for setup. That should include making sure ground wire is connected (which means your preamp should also have a proper ground), that your cartridge and headshell wires are properly connected and secured/colors matching, and that you’ve already diagnosed that it isn’t due to a ground loop when you have components hooked up on different outlets

8. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

With an analog source hum is very easy to find, and can be the tt, yes, on cheap tts normally.

But thousands of users in the world without hum on the 1200s can't be wrong ... check your setup as recommended.

9. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Yes.

Slick Willie likes this.
  10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Your interconnects should not run parallel to the power cord.
    I try to keep mine as far away as possible.
    Also check your shell wires and clean the shell to arm contacts.

DaleClark likes this.
  11. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Currently I have a Project Carbon DC with an ortofon OM 30 and i'm currently looking to upgrade the TT to an 1200GR. Do you guys think the upgrade is worth it? I mean, will I notice a big improvement considering that i'm gonna keep the ortofon OM 30?
    Thanks a lot :)

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yes. Night and day.

I upgraded from a Debut III to the 1200GR. They aren't even close.

The OM 30 is a good cartridge.

The Dragon and punkmusick like this.
  13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

No way to answer that as you will need the supporting gear to hear the benefit.
    But, the potential is there.
    I like mine (Music Hall 7.1), but the Carbon arm is very resonant and blurs sonics.
    Moving from the 9c Carbon to a G was educational...I suspect the GR to be somewhat similar.

14. Robert Godridge

Hia,
    earth is definitely connected propperly, but when unplugged it doesn't sound different though I haven't tried running the motor with ground wire disconnected.
    A friend who's an engineer set up the headshells for me. I'm totally blind so can't check colours.
    Everything is on the same extention.

15. Robert Godridge

I must say I was not expecting any hum, could it be the supplied interconnects?

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

gotcha! It sounds like you are in good hands, unfortunately I can’t think of why you would be getting that kind of hum/rumble.

EDIT: please excuse my insensitivity towards you’re visual impairment, if my post came off harshly. I apologize, and if I can think of anything else to help you I will chime in.

Andy Saunders and punkmusick like this.
  17. Robert Godridge

Thanks and no worries mate, takes a fair bit to offend me!
    Interestingly with the g800 I get more hum at the outer edge than near the spindle, this is the same when the power is disconnected as well.

18. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Sometimes hum is the proximity of power sources or cables.

Take more distance between the preamp and interconnects with power cables and transformers.

Then test disconnect everything and add the components one to one, starting for only the amplifier and speakers.

Even check the headshell is firmly installed on the collar.

19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Worth it? Absolutely.
    Will be a big difference? It depends

In the first answer, I include many aspects, for example:
    - it's a truly superior engineered machine
    - the Technics will support better cartridges
    - the Technics will be a tts for decades
    - the Technics will maintain the value
    - the Technics will admit many improvements because many people do gadgets and parts for them

... want more? :)

In the second answer, I include many aspects:

- the rest of the system. Your phono preamp / amplifier / speakers ... one of them (or many) can "struggle" the difference and then you read posts like "I don't hear any difference" with a tt on 1500 USD budget and a 100 USD phono preamp.

20. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

:) just an amazing piece of kit.
    [​IMG]

GyroSE, Joe Spivey, bru87tr and 6 others like this.
  21. Oelewapper

If your sound system is good enough to be able te hear the difference, then yes, definitely.
    The OM 30 is a very capable stylus.

22. Oelewapper

I also have hum, but only audible without music and on the highest volume levels.
    I have a SPL Phonos, which amplifies more than most preamps and it’s connected to my 2K watt poweramp... so I never listen on the highest setting anyways, because that would cause instant earbleed in this 3 by 4 room! ;)

Mike70 likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The motor doesn't produce hum with any cartridge (1200G). I only had hiss with MM but a low hum with MC. Improved a bit with a better arm cable that cost £90 but still there. Could be related to the headshell connection design or internal arm wiring. Not worse than other turntables I have had in the past but not up to my Orbe / SME combo so I know my phono stage is very low noise. Would suggest upgrade arm cable to one designed for phono applications, for SQ at least. The Project is a continuous cable I think which could be a factor? But Projects have other issues from motor noise etc as you mention.

24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Try tapping the interconnects a bit close to the plugs. Sometimes it works.

25. Robert Godridge

sadly not, did work with a previous tt but not this one!