The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

do you think changing the interconnects would help?
    Another thing I just realised the hum is only out of the right channel.

2. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

I've had great results with Zu Audio Phono Cables on ebay. I also have the TT connected to Emotiva CMX-2 DC-offset conditioner. The 1200 is dead quiet, even at 12'oclock.

3. Robert Godridge

rite, so after a great deal of messing about today I conclude that
    there is no hum with the shure v15, just subsonic rumble. The same sort of rumble is present on my lenco gl75 only when the motor is on, there is no difference with the technics with the motor on or off or where the tonearm is that I've noticed.
    With the goldring, the sub is still just as loud but overpowered by a right channel 50hz hum. This is quiet enough that it doesn't really matter when a record is spinning but it's annoying and makes me wonder if there's something going on with the cartridge/headshell

Also, my cartridges that track between 1 and 2 grams need the large weight on the back of the arm to be cranked to pretty much maximum! is this normal? is my arm set up incorrectly? it is was it was in the box I did not change it's height etc.

4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

To begin, did you balance the tonearm first per the manual? Once it is balanced you must turn the inner ring to "0" then you must not turn the inner ring, but only the outer larger portion to dial-in the correct tracking weight. Sorry if this is too rudimentary...I'm not sure about your level of experience.

EDIT: I just noticed your previous post about your blindness, so this may not help you! Maybe your engineer friend can help you further (maintaining appropriate social distance).

5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Indeed! FYI, you should keep the tonearm lift in the "down" position when locked into the armrest.

Big Blue and intensemojo like this.
  6. Fafan111

Fafan111 Member

Why is that

7. Robert Godridge

UNfortunately my friend relies on public transport so won't be able to visit til this is over!

My dad who knows little about audio stuff set it up. What should be done to correct this? is it doing damage as is? I have heard no mistracking even on test records which I hate to use by the way!

8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The lock is pushing the arm down into the armrest even though you've got the lever up. It's creating undue pressure on the mechanism.

Big Blue, bru87tr, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It may be right, I’m just not sure. You’d need someone to just follow the procedure in the manual.

10. Robert Godridge

can you outline this a little for me? since it is heavily reliant on diagrams which I can't see!
    What is the ring below the large weight for, is it height adjustment?

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, the ring around the circumference of the base of the tonearm assembly is to adjust the height. It is locked by a small thumb lever on the right side. Slide the lever counter-clockwise towards the rear of the unit to unlock, move the ring to the desired height when the tonearm is essentially parallel to the record when it is down and in place on the record, and then lock it back in place by sliding the little lever clockwise towards the front of the unit until you feel some resistance.

To adjust tracking weight: On the tonearm there is a counterweight screwed on the back end. It has a dial towards the front of the counterweight that can move independently of the counterweight itself. That is how you calibrate the arm to "0" tracking weight when balanced so that it "floats". Then you move the main counterweight without touching that inner dial again to the desired tracking force, e.g. 1.5 grams.

Here's a link to a pdf of the instruction manual: Technics SL-1200GR manual. Perhaps you can use software to read it. I can't imagine any of this would be very easy without sight! Hopefully you can figure it out close enough.

12. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Truth. Return it if you are not happy. It will bother you from now on if you don't. I have personal experience with Technics SL-1200G warranty service. In fact, it was with a GAE special edition. I really hated to return it. I had to replace it with a new standard 1200G. I have not regretted the decision. In fact, I now own two 1200Gs. I hope I never have a need for warranty service as these are my end game turntables. The performance level these turntables are capable of is nothing short of astounding when set up correctly. I have been listening to more vinyl lately and they still continue to amaze me.

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

Lever down

bru87tr and snorker like this.
  14. Robert Godridge

thanks for that I'll fiddle with it later,
    it does seem odd that the large weight will only go up to less than 2 grams with my shure v115. It's in a light-ish headshell but really? and 2ish with a goldring g800 in a heavier shell. Even with what you've said I don't see how this can be altered/how the arm can be made heavier, both weights are attatched

15. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You’ve got it reversed. The weights attached to the tail of the tonearm act as counterweights. That means lighter cartridges and headshells require less rather than more counterweight.

Sterling1 likes this.
  16. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The counterweight must be near as possible from the pivot, obviously after setting the right weight on the cartridge. Any tonearm have a "best" cartridge + headshell weight range and when the counterwight begin to stay far from the pivot some problems relative to compliance and dumping can rise.

The auxiliary weights can help, because they send the counterweight again near the pivot, but as a "general law" don't use a headshell with more than 10 grams and or cartridges with more than 8 grams.

17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You should take the small weight off.

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

The buzz problem could be somewhere else in the chain, say, at the inputs of the phono preamp or amp.

19. Robert Godridge

dum
    ping: what on earth is that?

20. Robert Godridge

I'll try taking that weight off. To be clear I don't hear any mistracking though. I'm not sure recommended weights on 40/50 year old cartridges like the goldring mean much any more due to the stiff old stylie....
    What is interesting is I found one of those rubbish ortofon dj cartridges in a box of stuff, with that attatched no hum, some subsonic rumble but those are very loud carts...

21. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

???

That ... what?

22. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

sorry, I believe that was just a typo...

"problems relative to compliance and dumping can arise."

"damping"
    was the intended word...

23. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Ok, the stylus vibrate. But there are vibrations that comes from the tt, the mat, the record ... and are captured by the stylus. There are others that goes from the cartridge suspension to the tonearm ... and can be reinforced, depending on the compliance of the cartridge (something like the "springiness" of the cartridge) and the tonearm effective mass.

The position of the counterweight helps (when is near the pivot) ... or not, when you use a cartridge / headshell outside the recommended weight range for the tonearm.

Another method to help prevent bad vibrations is ... using dumper methods, as the known fluid damper, like the Kabusa damper for the 1200s.

Maybe I explained better now.

24. Robert Godridge

yes that now makes sense, thanks!

25. Robert Godridge

Rite, so here's th latest:
    different g800 cartridge, different headshell. Hum now only audible through headphones and with an ear rite to the speaker. It gets better on the outer grooves of records, not that this is at all audible when there's music playing. My beloved gl75 does not hum at all but it rumbles a fair bit. Technics doesn't rumble, when sub turned up full there is some subsonic sound but it just sounds like the 50hz hum coming through the sub, so subharmonics of it if there is such a thing? whereas the lenco really rumbles.
    Basicly, normal listening is great with the technics. I might choose to clear up the 50hz mains noise when doing needledrops (will this effect the musical frequencies?) but while my ocd keeps going on about this hum I can hardly hear listening is a real pleasure with this deck, potential buyers don't be put off by me!