The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

ortofon cadenza blue.

2. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I've been giving mats some thought lately and wone a couple of oscarsaudio 2mm mats from ebay. Way too fin, static and crap gets on my records. Back to my OscarsAudio Cork and Nitrile Rubber Turntable Mat *TYPE 1* 3mm mat which is genuinely good. As I've said before I use vintage cartridges (goldring and shure) wasn't such a fan of the stock mat, the music somehow didn't sound as clear, and so I'm wondering what the absolutely ideal thickness for the technics platter is, if there even is such a thing!

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There is a lot of debate on that. I think the original Tech mats were 6mm but they're no longer made and kind of expensive if you can find one NOS. KABUSA makes a poly metal and poly glass mat for 1200s that is meant to be used in conjunction with the new, thinner rubber mat. I guess KAB thought that thicker was better. I am using a 5mm Oyaide rubber mat.

4. Robert Godridge

That's interesting and I thought my 3mm mat was thick!
    How thick is the current stock gr mat, anyone know? have you tried the stock mat and what did you think if so?
    I honestly never thought mats would make all that much of a difference but there was just something different with the stock mat, not as much detail as with the cork/rubber 3mm mat I mentioned above,
    Somewhere I have an extremely thick cork mat that was made by a friend who collected gramophones as an experiment, it's probably 6mm thick, I might try it out of interest

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have not tried the stock GR mat. I bought a MK7 which only comes with a felt DJ slipmat, which I didn't try because I have always preferred thick rubber mats on turntables.

6. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

3mm

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Robert Godridge

Thanks so that means my mat is the same thickness. Went hunting for the technics mat and remembered it's on an hmv windup machine where it really heoped with the sound (yes old windups can sound good)

Randoms likes this.
  8. Hors Piste

Hors Piste New Member

Just to update on my previous posts regarding arm height/VTA. I have now acquired a suitable small level and with the Ortofon 2M black fitted the arm is level with the height adjuster set to zero - not 1 as Technics suggest for this cartridge. So I remain puzzled. I have done most of my listening up to now with this setting; perhaps I'll try it with 1 and see if I can discern any difference (70 year old ears so who knows? ).

9. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Are you using the Technics OEM headshell or another?

10. avanti1960

i have found the technics height dial relative to cartridges a coming up a little long by about 1mm as you have suggested. some cartridges i had did not even make it to level, especially with other headshells that are taller than the stock one.
    one reason why I use a 4mm thick herbies mat.

Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  11. Hors Piste

Hors Piste New Member

I'm using the Technics headshell. Of course, according to this Setting Up A Phono Cartridge the arm should perhaps be further up at the cartridge end!

12. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

That's about SRA, when setting the VTA in compliance to the SRA, the VTA varies from cartridge to cartridge or even from stylus to stylus, as not every stylus tip is mounted on the cantilever exactly the same.
    Unless you have 300k turntable or something similar, I wouldn't worry about that too much...
    Just set the VTA according to the manual (arm parallel to the record surface) and optionally work from there towards an optimum setting by doing A-B listening tests.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m considering a 4mm/285mm Herbie’s for my 1210GR, and I’m hoping it’s enough thickness (right now I have a 2mm Herbie’s from a previous turntable and a leather mat that is about 2mm stacked, so I’m expecting it to be pretty close to that). With the stock mat and a 1.5mm headshell spacer, I get the VTA dial around 0.5, so I think that should just about add up to where I want to be (and I do have the spacer, if I need it...).

I just wish they had an all-black version available. I’m not big on the whitewall tire look... though it’s perhaps not so bad with the silver-colored pieces of the 1210GR. I’ve seen pics of yours on your 1200GR, and it looks fine.

14. avanti1960

thanks. i am more than happy with the look and sound.

Big Blue likes this.
  15. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Nicely-shot GR demonstration video by Ortofon-Japan:

intensemojo and Dignan2000 like this.
  16. Robert Godridge

Does anyone know if a super heavy cart/headshell could possibly damage the GR's arm/bearings? asking because I have some quite old 78 and mono pickups I'm thinking of having repared but they are heavy!

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

yes! They have officially answered the debacle on how much you should turn the VTA lock knob

Oelewapper likes this.
  18. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Guitar Center has finally shipped my 1210gr! I can stop whinging now.

19. Fafan111

Fafan111 Member

I've had the 1200gr for a bit now but wondering what can I expect from upgrading to the 1200g?

I'm alittle not satisfied because the 1200gr sounds a bit like digital? I can't quite pinpoint what makes it so and wondering if 1200g will bring better dynamics or flow

20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If you haven’t already, you should try tweaking the torque level (easily accessibly underneath platter, refer to your manual). It comes set at the highest level stock, but some users have reported a different sound by lowering the torque level.

JediJoker and punkmusick like this.
  21. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If I’m right, the 1200GR also has an automatic mode (just like the 1200G), which was recommended for highest accuracy by Technics.

22. Fafan111

Fafan111 Member

Hmm ok I'll try that. Thanks

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If your talking DD turntables the speed stability makes them a little closer to digital in some respect. More precise and better clarity than most belt drives. I haven't compared the 1200G to the GR but it certainly has flow and dynamics though maybe a bit more forward and brighter than a good belt drive. Compared to Pioneer PLX 1000 more open and detailed presentation (actually quite a large improvement in SQ). Of course it can be fine tuned by choice of cartridge and headshell. Upgrading the interconnect supplied produces a smoother (less digital) sound. Worth doing with your GR before you make the upgrade.

JediJoker likes this.
  24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

No it doesn't. It has three fixed torque settings, min, max and medium. I used it at max. Minimum gives a more smooth presentation.

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Somewhat humorous that some equate accuracy with a digital sound.
    While the G is a worthy upgrade, it won't fix your concerns...may even make it worse.
    As mentioned above, relaxing the torque setting should solve your concerns. Just need to test to find which setting pleases you.
    With the GR there may be 3 settings?
    Hopefully you are not sensitive to W&F as that could increase.....but no more so than with a belt drive.

Big Blue likes this.