The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Unlikely I think. Depending on how heavy we are talking about you may need an auxiliary counterweight(s) to calibrate correct VTF.

Personally, if possible, I would look into setting up a separate deck for those 78 and mono pickups if they are really heavy. Swapping back and forth from those to a regular cartridge is going to be a pain, especially if setting accurate VTF is already difficult for you. Just a practical suggestion. I've seen folks buy a cheaper turntable and use that for 78 playback.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Max torque will likely make it behave more like a Hanpin DJ deck. The standard torque on Technics decks has traditionally been a little lighter.

3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It comes from factory at maximum. From max to mid I didn't notice much difference.

Challjr likes this.
  4. Classicrock

Try slowing the platter with your finger as DJs do for mixing and you will probably notice a difference.

5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I mean difference in sound. Actually, the maximum torque of the GR is about half the torque of the PLX-1000 if I'm not mistaken.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Hmmh interesting, that probably means that the GR also uses another controller...

7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I don’t think so, because the Hanpin can only turn the motor on or off.
    So for example, if it needs to run at half speed, it will turn on half the time and turn off the other half of the times (i.e. pulse width modulation), this is also what causes “hunting” (I discovered that during measurements on a Stanton ST150).
    However, the new Technics motor controllers can turn the motor at variable speed, so it can just turn the motor at half speed all of the time.
    At least, that’s what I’ve been told, but I’ve never measured it.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Fafan111

Fafan111 Member

It's not really the perfect speed that reminds me of a CD, is more like lack of swing and big dynamics? Sounds a bit polite or compressed in a way? Don't know. I have AT Art9 and allnic 1201 with it

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The majority of your sound will come from the cartridge and phono preamp, not the turntable.

10. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Rather than replacing the GR with the G, you might consider rolling a different tonearm on the GR. My dream is in a year or so to try a Funk Firm arm. "Internet opinion" seems to concede that the tone arm on the GR could stand to be upgraded, whereas the motor and platter assembly are fantastic. Just a thought, as I've not got hands on, just been doing a lot of reading.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Joakim

Joakim Member

Anyone who has switched the 1200 g stock interconnects with something else? Do you hear any difference? Is it worth looking at better cables? Cheers

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  12. Classicrock

I suggest with your cartridge and phono stage you need a higher end TT than the GR. I'm sure the G will give you more of what you are looking for but you should look at alternatives. The G is certainly on a par with Michell Orbe which is close to £4K now without arm. Both have dynamics and swing in my system. Maybe more organic bass with the belt drive but more upper mid clarity with the G. Not heard the Allnic but if the sound is still kind of CD like flat with a better TT you might try a solid state phono stage. I think the arm on the G is actually really good with a sympathetic cartridge. Not obviously inferior to my SME 309 in the context of the turntables they are mounted on. Just doesn't have such an 'expensive' feel to it.

13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I switched to Audioquest 1meter King Cobra's - really a waste as I could not detect much difference.
    The supplied cables are better than they look.

Oelewapper likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have both the GR and the GAE. Unless you just have some unscratchable itch to upgrade to a G, I'd recommend getting a better phono stage and/or cart, first.

Big Blue and punkmusick like this.
  15. Fafan111

Fafan111 Member

Are they that similar?

How's allnic 1201 compared to herron vtph2a

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have never put the same cart on each, and done a real-time A/B switch. However, the GR sounds like 90% of the GAE, for about 33% of the price. To me, at least!

Sorry, haven’t heard those.

Fafan111 likes this.
  17. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

Try a different cartridge. I suggest the Ortofon Cadenza Red.

18. Classicrock

He has a $1K cart and $2.7K phono stage. TT is cheaped out component here. Some people think GR is not much better than PLX 1000, G is certainly another level. Might prefer a really good belt drive however?

19. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

For now I'm using a lenco gl75 for 78 playback but motor rumble with that unit does my head in and there doesn't seem to be a way of fixing that.
    I've put weights on each headshell to get what I hope is something like the correct vtf emediately when swapped out, if that makes sense. Nicer not worn out 78s will be for the technics tracking at about 3.5 to 4 grams, worn out ones which need more vtf (they really do though this is debated) want a good 6 grams and a heavy arm...
    Those are just my current thoughts.

20. Classicrock

Lencos need a very heavy plinth to eliminate rumble as with any idler drive. I see plenty heavy layered wood ones for sale on Ebay or try slate.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. Robert Godridge

I don't think the above poster is the only one asking in audible terms what differences he might hear between the gr and the g. I bought the gr as a last turntable ever type of deck for my mostly classical lps and other than the irritating kind of high level of hiss you and I have spoken of here before it is amazing. What audible differences might the G offer, not that I can afford one!

22. Robert Godridge

I'm not sure that will cut it in this case. Motor off, dead silent. Motor on, emediate subsonic rumble even when not playing a record. It is the motor and nothing else, it's isolated on a wallshelf but I am conciddering a propper plinth as you say, it needs a fair bit of mass that is for sure!
    and yeah the technics 1200gr definitely beats it, but I'd be happy with either if I didn't know the other...

patient_ot likes this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It would seem so. Pretty much every restored/reworked idler I've seen has some kind of special custom plinth to go with it, often layer plywood but sometimes other materials.

24. Classicrock

This type of plinth has been recommended since the 90s when idlers such as 401 were rediscovered. Before people were dumping them as old rumblers except the Japanese who knew better. Plenty magazine and online reviews over the years. Ones I've heard treated this way don't rumble. However you should check the condition of the idler drive wheel as well.

25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I would guess most people are not optimizing their GR's with better cartridges, cables and phono pre. I know I am not in the cartridge world (AT vm540ML). To be honest, I f most kept their current under $500 cartridge and phono pre (unless it is super top of the line) and installed on the G, I doubt most would hear any real difference. Max out the GR with a great cartridge (Black level or higher) and great phono pre first. Then make the transition to where you will feel good about your upgrade. The GR will hold its value if taken care of.

timzigs and Slick Willie like this.