The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I think the metal cones are especially good at damping lower frequency vibrations, but less effective at damping higher frequencies, since reducing contact surface generally is less effective for shorter wavelengths.

2. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Now I am interested in the SUR-1000 introduced in the video. Actively cancelling distortion. Now there is a concept for high fidelity!

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm using sorbothane with the Orbe as the TT has metal spike feet. So combo of both with bamboo between

Oelewapper likes this.
  4. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Ikea Aptitlig board also seems to be a good idea, thank you! Should this go under the plywood which is attatched to the wall or under the turntable?
    I have now got it so that with the goldring g800 on a still record it does not feed back through my sub, only with the shure v15 that has a higher output does it still feed back through the sub, although since I have to have the sub cranked and the volume 98% up this isn't as ergent as I thought. Lenco also feeds back though it's at a higher frequency.

5. Classicrock

Under the turntable. I think with Technics having compliant feet I suggest cones supporting the board. BTW it's the Aptitlig butchers block which is £17 that is TT size and has the layered bamboo construction.

6. Robert Godridge

Since getting their technics 1200GR's has anyone else noticed how rare a well centred record is? Even my 33rpm bbc test tones record is slitely off at least I hear what sounds like wow. I very much doubt it's my turntable and I bought it for low wf, so I'm blaming the records... Perhaps it is because the deck is so stable I'm noticing everything else...

patient_ot likes this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Lyra Delos in the house!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cart was pretty easy to setup, aided in part by threaded mounting holes (AT, get with the program!), and the 1200’s relative ease in setting up carts in general. VTF set at 1.75, currently have VTA dial at 1 as my digital calipers put the height from top of cart to bottom of stylus right at 18mm, but will continue to listen and adjust as needed. AS set at 1.5, could probably even dial that down a little lower as I’ve noticed the techs AS is pretty sensitive.

Ease of cart setup was countered by old school pass aleph ono requiring lifting out of rack to open top in order to access internal jumper settings for MC loading and gain :realmad: I swear next phono stage will require external dials and switches to change loading, thank god im not a cart roller.

Andy Saunders, jpelg, DPM and 8 others like this.
  8. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Sooo.... I placed my order for one of the 300 US-bound Ltd Ed. SL-1210 gae's. My dealer (an authorized Technics dealer) says they are certain I will get one but also says they don't have any idea when it will come in.

Any one here have any insights into how much time it will take for Technics to get these into their dealers' hands?

9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

depends on your dealer. The dealer I got my GR from, Robert Zohn of Value electronics in NY, is considered the #1 dealer/seller in NA within the technics/panasonic hierarchy. He was the first I believe to get a GR allocation in NA and I was lucky enough to get in on that first initial shipment.

10. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Thanks

I have a GR now and it was pretty easy to get; I ordered it from Guitar Center shortly after it was launched. ..The 1210 GAE looks to be more challenging. ..Just 300 for the US.

..Anyone else know more about ETA's?

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Didn't @snorker already get his and post pictures above? So some have been delivered already.

snorker likes this.
  12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I did indeed. I preordered the day they announced it, so I must have been one of the first in the US to get one. I ordered from Hifi Heaven.

patient_ot and recstar24 like this.
  13. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Last time I check Alma audio in San Diego had them in stock. Try contacting them and I'm sure they will mail it to you.

Technics SL-1210GAE 55th Anniversary Limited Edition Turntable

snorker likes this.
  14. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Well... that is a thought. ..But I'd like to give my local(ish) dealer the business. And, I'd like to see the box before paying. ..I had to return TWO GR's because of damage. Guitar Center refused to double box - that is, until I shipped two back at their expense.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  15. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

@recstar24 - thanks for the photos, it makes it fun to check the gear out. That cart looks great on the top half, but it looks like a bit of tape wrapped under at the bottom there. Is that part of the product design?

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

ha yes that “tape” is part of the design. I actually was wondering the same thing, but the really nice instruction manual that comes with the cart explains it’s Japanese washi paper, and it’s purpose is to protect the coils from dust/dirt.

dcarwin likes this.
  17. Robert Godridge

I have just read to my shock that the pioneer plx1000's wow and flutter is 0.01 whereas the technics 1200gr is 0.025!
    Am I getting this rite? because that would be a disapointment for me if the pioneer is even technically better!

18. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Found this from another forum.

"Pioneer doesn’t use the term “weighted”, or any other normal industry jargon for measuring wow and flutter.

Here's Technic MK-2 spec:

[​IMG]

Pioneer PLX-1000:

[​IMG]

19. Robert Godridge

W
    hat do the images say? totaly blind so can't read them. Wonder what technics 1200gr is unweighted then but you're rite it's 0.025 weighted isn't it?

20. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Oh! Come on ... anyone knows the specified wow & flutter for Rega turntables?
    I never finded ... strange that Rega don't say nothing about it if the value is awesome ...
    And Rega have a legion fans making praise, and it's not a bad turntable, of course.
    Do you believe that pioneer specified value for a 1200 copy? So, I ends like I began ... come on!

21. Classicrock

Manufacturers specs don't mean that much. Notable how much more tork the Pioneer has. Better to decide by listening. In practice not much between the two but the Technics has a better designed and more sophisticated digital control system and easier to replace parts ( in theory). The Pioneer is a lot heavier and ironically preferable for DJ use in a club environment. The arm on the Pioneer works fine if you get a good one. Not seen any recent reports on the bearing problem.

22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The G/GAE also list 0.025 WRMS (JIS C5521). These turntables have the least audible wow, flutter and pitch issues of any I’ve heard, which was the initial impetus for me to trade in my Clearaudio Concept towards the G back in 2017.

The Pioneer isn’t heavier than the GAE/G, but from what I saw in a YouTube tear-down, it’s only heavier than the GR because there’s more weight in the top plate, not in the rubber base portion which contains all the deadening and is superior on the GR.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. Classicrock

I was referring to Mk7 which is lighter and closer in price. Didn't realise the GR was lighter. Pioneer feels almost as heavy as the G come to think of it. Neither mk 7 or Pioneer have a rubber base.

24. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@recstar24 Congrats on the Delos- how is she sounding?:edthumbs:

25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The G is 39.7 lbs, GR is 25.35 lbs, Mk7 is 21.2 lbs. Pioneer PLX 1000 is 32.19 lbs. Again, even in the Mk7 the base is heavier despite the overall weight being less than the Pioneer.