The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Esteban Reyes

Esteban Reyes New Member

Finally received the turntable. Dealer resolved the issue immediately. Now I am waiting for the second. The logistics are terrible.
    Apparently Technics is shipping an order to this dealer in mid September and continuing all through October. Regardless, it’s been months! Why are logistics inefficient from Covid-19 aside from layoffs?

ODS123 likes this.
  2. bbb99

bbb99 Active Member

My dealer has stated that Technics pretty much sucks from a delivery perspective.
    Great products, but unpredictable as far as order fulfillment, even on the standard products.
    They were hoping that the GAE's may be different, but it hasn't been the case.
    As they are hand built, I get it that they can only produce a few every day

3. bbb99

bbb99 Active Member

I don't think that COVID is an issue in supply between Technics and the Dealers, but may be down the supply chain a tier or three.

4. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

Yeah the warped platters and the finish issues with the 1500C. Strangely, 90% of the issues I’ve seen on YouTube are from the same guy who seems to have bought all the new Technics models just to bash them. He’s a total nut imho but nevertheless it made me hesitant to pull the trigger. How much better in terms of build quality is the GR over the 1500C?

Oelewapper likes this.
  5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Haha yes, Wayne Garner is funny :biglaugh:
    I really enjoyed watching his salty videos!

About the GR vs 1500C: Idk, but I think the 1500C is more of hipster device, since it has a built in preamp and auto cue, just like the average “lifestyle product” of a turntable has (maybe I’m just old fashioned).
    The GR is more focussed on the specific job of a turntable; accuracy over convenience and features.

punkmusick and deniall83 like this.
  6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

technics and their relationship with stores and distribution is incredibly strict especially with allotment. A local record store of mine explained how he wanted to start carrying their new line, but the kind of hoops/requirements/blood and DNA work and background check (JK) required made him unable to even consider it moving forward. The initial investment they ask in order to carry their line is significant, as it appears they are very picky about who gets to sell the new technics stuff.

If a dealer is fortunate enough to be allowed the wonder and honor of carrying them (lol), they definitely prioritize allotments to certain vendors based on reputation and sales. I was fortunate that the dealer I got my GR from was and is considered the #1 dealer in the US within the technics hierarchy, and was able to snag one of the first GR’s in the US when they started distributing.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That's really not that different from certain UK high end brands. Dealerships are deliberately limited. A lot of stories about only certain other products being allowed in store with regard to the 'terrible two' back in the day. Things have actually improved.

recstar24 likes this.
  8. Oelewapper

Yes they’re very stubborn too... people that had a warped platter and wanted a replacement had Technics people come over to measure it after some mails back and forth.
    After measuring they went into defensive mode to deny that the warp was anything to worry about.

It’s generally better to send it back to the dealer when there’s an issue, instead of dealing with the stubborn Technics support.

recstar24 likes this.
  9. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I understand the need from Technics perspective. ..I use to be an Area Sales Manager for Volkswagen of America. One of my jobs was vetting prospective dealers. To be a VW dealer it was imperative that the interested party had the working capital, marketing expertise, and positive reputation to be able to sell the ENTIRE line of vehicles - not JUST the hottest products. This was essential for the Brand to succeed.

To draw a parallel to the audio business, I'm sure there are tons of audio dealers interested in selling Technics hot-selling SL1200 line of turntables. ..And because demand is high, each would probably sell every one they get. ..But Technics needs dealers who will sell ALL of their products available for that country AND that they don't already have too many competitive brands for that segment already on display. This may include their speakers, amplifiers, headphones, lifestyle products, etc.. ..Plus the dealer needs to have the working capital to inventory a reasonable amount of product to display AND have on hand for customers to leave with. That requirement alone could disqualify a great many interested parties.

These are the realities of setting up a network of retailers.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yes, exactly this. My local hifi shop was interested in selling the new 1200s but they didn’t want to carry Technics amps, so no dice.

11. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The last Technics amplifiers got all my attention ... class D with GAN transistors technology.

12. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Speaking very generally, it’s because of lower shipping capacity. Normally, a lot of cargo gets moved on commercial passenger flights. Right now there are a lot fewer commercial passenger flights than usual. There are some extra cargo-only flights running now, but overall capacity for worldwide shipping is diminished.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

With many Boeing 747 being retired by passenger airlines there is apparent interest from carriers to convert some to cargo use. So likely cargo capacity will increase in the future probably at expense of less passenger travel. Apparently shipping cargo by sea has not been affected much by the pandemic but it takes weeks for product to arrive that way.

14. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

That would surprise me not at all. It’s probably another one of those things that would have happened in a few years anyway, but the timeline is now accelerated.

15. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure Technic's bringing back a new line of turntables over the past several years was part of a larger strategy to reinvigorate the entire brand - so selling amplifiers, speakers, and lifestyle products is probably essential for the continuance of their turntables.

It would be pretty cool if they brought back an audiophile grade Reel-to-Reel tape deck. It would almost certainly be a terrible business decision, but one that at least a few hundred people would probably enjoy. I have no particular need for one other than just wanting to relive some of the fond memories of my Dad's pioneer deck in the late 70's.

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

QC issues for the GR? I actually got the sense GR is the model that has had the least reported issues of the current-production Technics decks.

I can tell you mine arrived perfect.

However, ordering something brand new and not being able to return it makes me nervous. I’d need to be saving a LOT to take that chance, personally.

ODS123 likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I would love that as well, but almost no software to support it, unlike vinyl.

ODS123 likes this.
  18. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Are the GAE models still available? I’m still waiting to hear back from a few dealers I called.

19. Oelewapper

What software?
    R2R tapes and vinyl are analog?

20. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I agree… Plus, I like the idea of supporting local brick and mortar businesses. Or in my case, near-local.

My GR was perfect But that was after receiving two that sustained shipping damage. One of them also had a cluster of platter strobe dots that were not uniformly chromed/ polished. It was as though they were permanently smudged. As the platter turned, there was a weird visual anomaly as you look at the dots. But the platter was perfectly flat. This was just a slight cosmetic Imperfection.

Seriously though I’d prefer a tiny cosmetic imperfection like that to any other $1700 turntable that just feels totally under engineered throughout the entire table.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Oelewapper likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

That's what I call what you play on them....records/tapes, etc..

ubiknik likes this.
  22. Oelewapper

Ah yes, I don’t even know where to get media/“software” for R2R players, but I suspect that it’s even more expensive then records are nowadays.
    R2R is definitely on a comeback though; I’ve heard that Thorens has even released a fully re-engineered R2R deck last year.

Slick Willie likes this.
  23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Technics is probably more than capable of making a high end digital recorder / player.

Big Blue likes this.
  24. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

That's it, I've finally placed an order for a 1200GR. I have no idea when I'll get it, it's like Technics makes 'em on order. Vendor said, could be next week, or in two weeks, or in three weeks. Same problem with the other Technics TTs, they seem to be pretty hard to get.

Big Blue, punkmusick and ODS123 like this.
  25. highqualityrecords

highqualityrecords Well-Known Member

Where are people finding the best prices regarding the Mk7 and the 1210GR these days? I know the availability is low currently, but dont mind waiting.