The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

How so?

Big Blue likes this.
  2. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Hi I remember the 900igc is very high compliance so might need a lighter headshell, years ago borrowed one and it wobbled all over the place even in a Hadcock 228. More SME 3009 mk3?

3. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

I had to wait 6 weeks for my 1200G. I don't think that's terrible, although I also got a little impatient at the end..

Big Blue likes this.
  4. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

If this happens soon after playing a record, 20 mins or less let's say, I'd wonder if it's your cartridge/stylus resettling or whatever. I have had this a couple of times always with one specific cartridge, it's like the stylus has to reseat itself after playing a record...
    They weren't bangs, they were slite pops.
    I think I may have experienced this once or twice with other carts now I think about it though. Definitely check what's plugged in near by. I get so much more noise when the extention with computer and powerline internet adapter switched on than when it's off that I now only listen to records with all that off...

5. Robert Godridge

It took 3 grams or so of added weight to even make the arm ballance with this cartridge! It's probably a terrible match for this arm and it's likely going to end up in the audiotechnica at1007, but I have never heard any cartridge sound so realistic especially with piano music. My wife said she could have an educated guess at the type of piano being played from down stairs which she has never been able to do before (she has played more piano in her life than I have). This cartridge is the best I have ever heard for chamber music, violins and such too. It is in fact so good that I got several piano lps that were destinned for the charity shop due to what I thought was them sounding rubbish and they're now back on my shelf! However, it needs mint condition discs. Crackles are very painfully obvious with this cartridge...
    All this and it's not even in a propperly matched arm yet.

6. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

How many years you'll use the turntable? Some people (like i) have had technics turntables for 40 years ... and it's working perfectly today.
    Do you think it's not worth it to wait some weeks for a superior product against an oem hanpin (pioneer), also considering ... this special year?

your money, my friend ... at least you bought the mk7.

7. Robert Godridge

I'd imagine the mk7 would outlive quite a lot of us as well, dj decks are meant for pretty ruggid use...

8. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Oh yes ... but I think the 1200GR it's a superior product. A definitive turntable for many people.

9. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I agree with you, my previous TT was a SL-1700 from 1977 and it still works. Speed is not always accurate, but the platter spins. So I expect this to serve me into my 80s, by which time I doubt I'll still use it.
    I was always on the fence about the GR. Even though I got 15% off, it still was almost €1300, which is an awful lot for a turntable in my opinion (which may differ from yours, of course). So, not wanting to get a Technics knock-off, I went for the MK7 with a 5% discount and that's OK. I may change the mat (I'm using the thick 1700 rubber mat) and the cables, but I think I'm done.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Well, turntables are totally mechanical devices ... good ones aren't cheap. Also it depends on what cartridge do you think to use ... a more refined cartridge needs a better context to really works at full potential.

Cheap or expensive price tag are always relative in audio ... but, i don't think the mk7 it's a "cheap turntable". Surely will bring you many years of enjoyment.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The consensus appears to be as a DJ turntable the Mk 7 is overpriced while the GR though more expensive is better value. The plinth of the Mk7 is actually too prone to feedback but probably fine in a domestic situation. My view if you are not going to upgrade again buy the GR or even the G if you can afford it. Unfortunately 1000 Euros is now what I consider the minimum for a really acceptable TT, given hi-fi pricing in general, how much more revealing systems are today and the current standard of competing digital playback. More scope for future upgrades in cartridge. Also have you considered the quality of the phono stage? More important than cartridge and even TT once these are at a decent standard. You will have to buy a decent mat for the mk7 as it only comes with a slipmat bringing the cost even closer to the GR. The Mk7 was designed primarily for DJ use while the GR is an 'audiophile' table in spite of it's looks. In the UK you actually can obtain either a GR or G in close proximity or in a couple days with online ordering. Maybe our retailers have slurped up the EU supplies or just have the foresight to order plenty stock upfront and bear the cost? Also generally I don't see UK sellers of Technics decks selling the whole Technics range or even a significant part of it as has been suggested happens in some markets. Actually when I heard the GR when released I was bit underwhelmed by it playing in an expensive all Technics setup.

12. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Apologies if mentioned before but what are the difference between MK7 and 1200GR ?

13. patient_ot and punkmusick like this.
  14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I wonder if the 1210 GAEs Limited editions are sold out

15. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

There is at least one piece in stock that I know of here in Switzerland

16. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

you could get a second counterweight and lighten it? The 900IGC in its day was a top of the line cartridge. I keep going to my Goldring 1020GX or similar Reson Reca. They just work in the technics. Listening today comparing each cartridge and will now sell Denon 103R, Decca has already gone.

17. Robert Godridge

Here's another daft question...
    I have one cartridge that hums toward the spindle. It's just the one so I'm not worried about it, it's an oldish car
    wow it sounds like I need a 1020! goldring have never let me down, the g800 still blows me away on some music even ust the boring conical is the best I've ever heard for rock and some early stereo classical lps.

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would recommend the 1042 but it has become expensive. Once was obtainable for £90 in the early 1990s. I do see them discounted quite a bit from some sellers.

19. Robert Godridge

Ha oops I forgot to delete my half finished post!
    I mentioned the 1042 before and was a little put off by comments here. If I find one cheapish I'll have to try it, but from what I've heard the earlier ones could be better...

20. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

If a turntable arrived with a broken dust cover, I would not hesitate to return it immediately. This is a sure indication of very rough handling that could result in other issues that may not be immediately apparent. There have been several documented instances of Technics quality control not being what it should be. Several of those instances have resulted in Technics customer service who attempted to split hairs with runout measurements to justify not replacing out of tolerance platters. However, this seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I would recommend that if anyone recieves a Technics product that you are not delighted with, return it immediately to the seller and get another one. Let the seller deal with Technics and initial quality issues.

Big Blue likes this.
  21. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

Easily done in the US, not so easy in other countries. I spent several weeks fighting and dealing with PayPal claims to get my GR replaced/refunded for genuine issues. A stressful experience that I am not willing to go through again.

22. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Did you purchase the table from an overseas company as you were proposing or through a local dealer in Australia?

23. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

Australia. Don't really want to elaborate tbh. Just keen to move on. Still searching for a new TT.

SpudOz likes this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Even if I could know for certain the broken dustcover was the only thing wrong, I would still return it. The $1700 MSRP should get me a turntable with nothing broken.

The Dragon and CTA like this.
  25. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. I really hate to see when customers, who have paid for expensive (or cheaper) equipment, get taken for a rough ride. I also didn't get the bashing this other guy got in one of the other threads who had gone online to get some publicity about his Luxman amp with a pretty botched up finish. Like...excuse me? Clearly he was right as he posted photos of the same kit with perfect finish, but they made him go through quite an ordeal before he could get his money's worth. It is okay if you are willing to put up with subpar quality in exchange for big money, but it is also perfectly okay if I am not, I guess...

Big Blue likes this.