The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

h
    Yes, as you say. I have carts that are 7hz or even lower and don't believe I'm experiencing playback issues but then I'm not sure if they presented themselves I'd think ah, that's a resonance issue.

2. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

Absolutely no playback issues, it sounds amazing, it's meticulously set up. Like I said, the only thing is that on some records with subpar pressing quality the outer groove rumble is a bit accentuated. I mean it's nothing crazy and by the second or third track it's gone and it is never audible, it's just that now that I know that the RF is just below the optimal range I get the feeling that if it were on the money, it might not even be noticeable. But I'll let it be. On most records there is little to no rumble even in the outer grooves. Fun times on the OCD train. Time to get off.

3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

:righton:

goonybird likes this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Perhaps, your system is now able to reveal the rumble that is built on the record.

5. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Just bunged on an old Ortofon VMS20E 5g Compliance 25 theory resonance 6hz
    Appears fine soundwise and visually. Rides warps perfectly, I seem to remember arms&carts in certain combinations would visibly be unstable. May have to play a bit more with HFN lps
    before succumbing to the Art9

6. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I know it's old and I know I say it all the time and and and, but
    since you like goldrings, do try a g800 at some point, E and super E are best but just the conical g800 is amazing, it really likes vocals and orchestras and has a lot of bass! and that's just the conical... and they're so cheap lol

7. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Nothing of concern that I can see.

8. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

KAB Damper on SL1200G
    Emailed KABusa to see if I could adapt my existing KAB TD-1200 to fit the SL1200G.
    Quote "Sorry no, you cannot simply modify it, there are too many differences"
    Really? I am not so sure. the arm base it fits to is a bit wider, but other than that I don't see an issue.
    Photos of both don't look that different
    So today have stripped horrible black paint off mine, Need to refinish coarse area on end of trough. Will be either polished or sprayed aluminium.
    Intention its to widen the mounting gap and go from there.
    Will update progress. And what is there to lose - as no one wanted it on ebay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Looks nice! Not sure you can get it to fit though...the base is different so it won’t fit the curvature of the newer models.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

What differences did you with vs without the KAB damper?

11. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

I am incredibly satisfied with my new TT setup to say the least, it just does things exactly right, but there is one aspect that I just need to emphasise as it is not something that one usually associates with analogue setups. The amount of detail I'm pulling out of the grooves with my current setup is outright crazy, and this incredibly detailed presentation is effortless and non-obtrusive. I've heard high-end digital setups that had similar amount of detail but I don't remember them having such ease, except maybe for the MSB kit, but I don't have vast experience with high-end DACs. Granted my digital front is not optimised, I don't have a proper streamer for example, it's a Macbook (Audirvana) to Chord 2Qute via an Acoustic Revive USB cable with split signal and power line and that's it, but still the difference between my analogue and my digital setup with regard to the amount of detail and the way it is presented is mind-blowing, and the Chord is quite a good unit I think. Not even speaking about the rest of the aspects of the performance where the gap is just as large.
    TT setup is:
    1200G, stock HS with Jelco SW-100 HS-wires, KAB Damper, sitting on a Gingko Cloud 11
    Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES
    Audio Sensibility Signature phono cable
    Graham Slee Accession MC + Enigma PSU, sitting on a Butcher Block Acoustics maple platform sitting on Isoacoustics Oreas.

12. Oelewapper

Woah that’s a lot of vibration damping under your TT!
    The 1200G is very solid on itself already; I think yours could effortlessly play records during an earthquake ;)

recstar24, Big Blue and Slick Willie like this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Hey, if I had a platform like that around already from a previous setup, I’d have a hard time not using it. I wouldn’t think it could hurt!

Oelewapper likes this.
  14. Oelewapper

Yes, when it comes to the TT plinth, there’s no such thing as overdamping.

Big Blue likes this.
  15. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

KAB trough today. reove some metal with a vice and files. Gap increased from 12mm to 15.5mm. Removed from both sides equally, to ensure tough is in correct position.
    Test fitted and is fine. Damping paddle tracks centreline of trough. No interfernce to arm or cueing device.
    Put a piece of camera blackout foam to protect arm from damage.
    Only issue seems the damping paddle is very close to the bottom of the trough, and needs shortening 1mm or so.
    Need to etch prime trough and respay aluminium.
    Easy job and saved buying a TD1000.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Oelewapper

Very nice.
    Using metric units: craftsmanship approved! :righton:

punkmusick likes this.
  17. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Does the GR have an electronic muting circuit activated by the cueing lifter like on the old 1500mk2 that mutes the noise the needle makes when it is set down or lifted off the record?

18. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

I don't recall any 1200/1210 Mk2-mk7 GR G GAE having a muting relay.

Joel S likes this.
  19. Oelewapper

Nope.
    The wire coming from the tonearm SME connector goes straight to the RCA outputs.

punkmusick and Joel S like this.
  20. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Last post as finished spraying KAB Damper. just need to add some silicone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Amen

22. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So my father is thinking about getting rid of his Denon dp-60L and getting either a 1500C or a 1200GR. Anyone know of any deals? Preowned 1200GR? Would it be worth having him get the KAB 1500C or the 1200GR?

23. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Twinsfan, I looked for about a year for a used GR but none found. As luck would have it, one week after I received a new GR, a 1200gr appeared locally on craig's list. I wouldn't buy a used TT unless I can examine it for myself in person, so no ebay. People don't know how to properly pack something as delicate as a TT. Just my 2 cents.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

I've probably sold more than 20 TTs on eBay to the other side of the pond (air mail).
    Only two had their dustcovers shattered.
    Never had any other shipment issues on eBay, except incorrect address when the buyer didn't kept their shipping address up to date in PayPal.

Claude M and Twinsfan007 like this.
  25. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Ok, I should have said "some people", so present company excluded! It's a crap shoot on ebay, even people with great feedback make mistakes packing things. Maybe I was unlucky and received things broken.