The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yes, it's a gamble, especially with people that found a turntable on grandfathers attic, found out that it's worth something but have zero experience with turntables themselves.
    Some just jam it into a box and put a shipping label on it, don't even bother (or don't know) to take the dustcover, platter, counterweight off, etc...
    Not to mention transport mode for turntables with a subchassis, like Linn LP12 turntables have...

patient_ot, Dignan2000 and Claude M like this.
  2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Any coupons from Guitar Center?

3. jarrod2750

jarrod2750 Forum Resident

I joined the family and picked up a Technics 1210gr and are using an Ortofon bronze with it. I am very pleased and are glad that I made the upgrade and jump! I moved from a Pro-Ject 2xperience Classic and do not miss dealing with a belt, anti- skate weight on a fishing wire and it’s finickness. Comparing the sound of the two I feel the Technics has a much fuller sound compared to Pro-Ject missing something on the low end.

The only item I still need to get is a record clamp.

punkmusick and Dignan2000 like this.
  4. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Record clamp is usually of no need at all.

Ok, really warped vinyl but I'd leave that on shelf or out for a replacement.

Slick Willie likes this.
  5. jarrod2750

jarrod2750 Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m going to pass on the clamp. No need to add extra weight to the motor. It sounds really good out of the box,

6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Well, I don’t think it actually does much good at all on really warped vinyl. Where a clamp helps in terms of warps is slightly warped vinyl (AKA: most records) by holding it down against the mat. Some records seem to sound a little tighter and more defined with a clamp, IME. I find it’s worth the three seconds of extra time it takes to get a side ready to play.

A clamp seems to be one of those “you don’t know unless you try it” things. Also, whether I notice a sonic difference can vary day to day, record to record. I use mine on most records I play because I have it, and because I’ve never noticed it hurting anything. You can certainly play your records on your GR without one, but it’s one of those things that’s easy enough to try when you get an itch.

As for weight, if you use a clamp (like a KAB or a Michell-style) and not a weight, there’s really no extra weight on the motor. It simply holds the record down by grabbing onto the spindle.

7. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I really like my KAB clamp. It's probably just an illusion, records do seem to sound more stable (float), then again...I don't have any real evidence of sort. Probably just me. I really don't have many warped records

Big Blue likes this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s a good clamp. And when I say “slightly” warped, I include the barely-perceptible up-and-down you’ll see if you watch your tonearm closely on most records you wouldn’t even consider “warped”. That seems decreased by the clamp on some records, though it’s not really the primary purpose of the clamp.

9. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Using Audio Technica Record clamp.
    Just try turning an record on a still platter and it spins on the platter very easily. put a clamp/weight on and the platter moves with the record.
    To me that proves the worth of a Clamp/Weight.

10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

[​IMG]

Roycer and Oelewapper like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I guess that depends on the mat...and I’m not trying that with any of my records (which I prefer not scratched...). :sigh:

12. Oelewapper

I don’t think everyone quite gets that description...

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It sounds like he wants me to scratch the hell out of my records by rubbing them against the mat, right? :laugh:

Oelewapper likes this.
  14. Oelewapper

Scratching and scratching... One meant for DJ records, the other meant for Barbara Streisand records :p

The Dragon and Big Blue like this.
  15. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I agree with pretty much all of your posts Oele, but don't go dissing Babs :) ...She was awesome in (orig!) A Star is Born, Hello Dolly, etc..

My family thinks I'm nuts... ..Liking Barbara Streisand and The Ramones equally (but neither as much as Buddy Holly) :)

Oelewapper likes this.
  16. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

... and don't forget she's Barbra ... not Barbara :D

JediJoker and ODS123 like this.
  17. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I'm using the Audio-Technica record weight 600gr. Works like a charm.

goonybird likes this.
  18. Oelewapper

Lol yeah that’s autocorrect when I left the iOS keyboard language on Dutch :p

19. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

isn't a record weight like the audio technica putting unwanted pressure on the bearings?

20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Depends on the bearings ;) as well as the design of the platter and drive system as well. The technics, at least in the manual, states it can handle up to 1kg of weight from a record weight, so I'm sure as a safety precaution i would not exceed 500grams and you should be fine (the mofi thing I use is around 350g)

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would assume they designed it to work on their own direct drives which are inferior to the Technics G/GR.

22. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

If you have a Hana on your Technics GR or G, did you need a thicker mat than the standard one?

23. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

I use a thicker mat (SAEC SS-300) and it does work well with the height of the Hana in the Technics headshell. The stock G mat worked fine with the arm at its lowest setting, but it's nice to have more adjustability.

Joel S likes this.
  24. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Thank you for that. I will concidder getting one!

25. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

There is the original Technics 1200 mat which is thicker.
    SFTG 172-01
    later thinner mat is RGS 008

Joel S likes this.