The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Thanks - I'll look into the Rega! Ideally a new set of bookshelf speakers and an amp (attracted to hybrids, and if budget allows I wouldn't mind a phono stage + hybrid instead of an integrated). Budget around $5K, which I suppose would open up some options if I buy used, which I'm not necessarily opposed to doing. And I've loved the Triangles - I've had them for at least 10 years, but they're lacking in bottom end as my taste in music has shifted some I'm finding them to be a little on the bright side.

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Those are nearly opposite ends of the SoundSmith spectrum, though, no?

3. Mobs

Mobs Forum Resident

Not complete opposites. I was able to get mine when they were 1/2 price on Elusive a little over a year ago. Just wanted to point out that SoundSmith played nicely with the SL1200G.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ah, sure!

I’ll say I’m almost tempted by the $500 price tag, myself (it’s discounted because it’s the old series), but I have a hard time paying even that much for an elliptical stylus, regardless of how good the cartridge may be otherwise.

I would expect your Sussurro is fantastic!

Mobs likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A German mag did a lab test of the old Carmen. For such a highly regarded maker, the test results are disappointing. Tracking crapped out at 70um and there is a bit of a noticeable dip in the response. This would be bad enough for me to avoid it but what puts a nail in the coffin is a member here had one awhile back and said it didn't track better than a $100 cart. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I guess it's okay if you listen to a lot of tame records.

Resonance was 8.5Hz on an 11g arm, so fairly compliant.

I should mention that the old Zephyr did a bit better, but still had the FR dip, which I guess is either due to the fact that it needs some loading optimization or that's a tuned response curve. The mag tested at 210pf for total capacitance.

Big Blue likes this.
  6. Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith Active Member

Do the SL-1200 G feet fit the old models SL-1200 MK2-6?

7. The screw thread will be the same for both, so I can't see why not.

Mr. Smith likes this.
  8. Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith Active Member

Thanks for the quick response! I also want to ask about the compatibility of the SL-1200 G/GR tonearm with the old SL-1200 MK2-6 models. Brand new tonearms for the original models are selling for ludicrous prices and lack any kind of warranty or guarantee. From what I understand the new tonearms will fit older models but are only sold complete with the entire tonearm enclosure.

9. The effective length and overhang specs are the same for the Mk2 and the G, but as far as total compatibility I'd be inclined to contact Technics for clarification.

Big Blue, patient_ot and Mr. Smith like this.
  10. Barry Heard

Barry Heard Well-Known Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on a gr and the dealer has offered discounts on the following cartridges if I buy as a bundle with the gr.

Just wondering which to go for, wanting something sightly warmer than neutral, smooth sounding but also dynamic (if possible).

Goldring 1042 (the frontrunner as I currently have a goldring e3 on my mk2 which I like,but I've heard the 1042 can be a bit of a bastard to fit and get right)

-goldring 2500

-AT vm540ml / 740ml / 750sh (I've heard AT's can be a bit on the bright side but get great reviews.

- ortofon 2m black / 2m bronze

Any pointers would be welcomed.

Cheers

11. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I think the Ortofons will be a better match for the Technics arm than the AT's. I have a 540 on my MK7 with the supplied headshell and I get a 7.5Hz hum, slightly out of the preferred 8-12Hz zone.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Your Goldring E3 is simply a rebadged and rebodied (extra plastic) old style AT95 generator FYI.

The only carts Goldring actually makes are the 1000 series and the MC carts.

The 1042 is considered a classic in many circles but I didn't love it, and ended up selling mine.

None of the particular AT models you listed nor the Ortofons will give you a "warm side of neutral" sound out of the box. Just about any cart can be adjusted with creative loading loading though.

Barry Heard likes this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

had a 2M black on my GR for a while and it sounded very good.

Roycer likes this.
  14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Very happy 2M Black here as well, but I tend to lean towards analytical.

Heckto35 and Roycer like this.
  15. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

If you want a warm sound, AT or Ortofon aren't the best stuff. Detail and dynamics in spades, also a present and alive sound ... Yes.

Grado it's really warm ... but lesser in all the other aspects mentioned with AT or Ortofon.

From the AT 700s series, the warmer cartridge is the 750sh, the 740 and 760 stylus are more detailed.

Heckto35 likes this.
  16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

This is the description of a good Nagaoka

Barry Heard likes this.
  17. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

A description reserved just for your MP500, or do you think it extends further down the line?

18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That GR 2500 would be one I would want to try as it's a MI, I heard a 2400 and it was really nice. The only problem with the 2500 and the 1042 is the high compliance, and it's high enough to move on to something else that is more in line with what will be happier on that arm.
    I imagine the dealer you are going through only carries certain brands, so since the idea is to get a deal, you really can't go wrong with any of the ML or SH models in the AT line, I have the lowly vm95ml and while not exceedingly warm, I would say it is very much becoming very well rounded in a good way.
    I've had two 1042s and they can sound more than excellent when set up right on a lighter arm than the 1200, and I would say honestly that the vm95ml on the 1200 arm is right in line with that quality, which I didn't expect.
    Tracking wise it surpasses the 1042, and it is blooming now into having deeper bass and a more open soundstage (I have close to 60+/- hrs on it.
    For me I would go for the AT ML of your choice and enjoy the ride of finding out what that type of tip can do, or maybe the Ortofon Bronze is good, but it's compliance seems a bit high as well, for a 12g arm.
    The only tip to offer is that the ml and sh are fairly similar with some saying the sh is a warmer sound and some saying not so much, the ml will last the longest and treat your records the best.
    You gotta try one...

Heckto35 and Barry Heard like this.
  19. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  20. Barry Heard

Barry Heard Well-Known Member

Appreciate the advice and tips. When I say 'warm', I probably mean a fulllish sound not being too thin/ lean and the highs not being 'shrill'.

I still very much appreciate a detailed, open & dynamic sound. Unfortunately the dealer doesnt carry nagoaka, but at some point down the line I'd like to get a mp200.

It sounds like that the AT's could be the one, as the E3 I currently have is a rebadged AT and I quite like it.

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The problem I see with Nagaoka (anyone under the mp500) it's the stylus and the price ... .4 x .7 elliptical ... compare that with a shibata or microline. The stylus it's the more expensive component in a cartridge and you're getting an unrefined stylus with a maximum 500 hours lifespan (without degrading the sound), compared with a microline or shibata with 1k hours lifespan, 0% IGD with much better groove contact ... and you're paying more.

Someone noted that AT it's the bigger seller in cartridges and maybe the economy allows they can offer better stylus profiles with better prices. The fact is that after I test a microline stylus in my tt (and you're sensible to distortion or losing quality in the last track) ... there's no regrets. I have had many ellipticals (Ortofon, Shure, Grado ...) and the AT microline it's spectacular. I don't find it "bright" (maybe older versions are, i don't know), it's neutral, dynamic, alive ... not dull / boring (sometimes I hear that when others says "warm", like Grado).

Choose with your wallet ... vm95, vm540 or vm740. Later you can test the shibata stylus, also a great tracker and a little more warm.

Heckto35, recstar24 and Barry Heard like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The At95SH certainly fits the 'fullish' sound given a few hours run in. For MC the AT33 series do similar but dig out a bit more detail. In my experience with AT the ML tips give less full bass and are a bit thinner while elliptical and shibata tips give better bass and fuller sound, the later extracting more music. None are 'warm' but that usually means muddy and smoothing over detail. Properly loaded they are not 'bright' either.

23. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Good question Davey, I have no direct experience. From what I read, others get a lot of love too, and slightly warm, smooth and dynamic kind of describes what it seems to be a Nagaoka signature sound.

24. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  25. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Don't get the Goldring 2500 I had one in a Technics sl1200 until I got a Nos Goldring 1020Gx no competion.
    I continue to belive the Goldring 10xx series with the thecnics is a match made in heaven.
    an then I went moving coil......

ubiknik likes this.