The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Barry Heard

Barry Heard Well-Known Member

thanks guys, that's really useful. will look into that as options.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@Barry Heard If you can push the war chest out a little the RFC Pluto interconnect makes a spectacular upgrade- l know this as an audio friend done this and the results were not subtle.

Barry Heard likes this.
  3. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Rega use Klotz low capacitance cables
    I have the ac110 equivalent and much to my surprise I preferred this against a Chord Cobra 3 I have lying around. Price difference is markedly.
    Have yet to try the stock 1210GR cable

4. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

I talked a little about my preferences between those two in another thread, not to be taken for more than it is, and my 33PTG is ready for a tradein since the suspension is failing, but still sounds good, just rides low, I'll send it in for a trade when they have more stock available, not sure which one I'll try yet ...

AT-OC9XML or AT33PTG/II?

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Anybody have experience with this turntable cable from American Recorder Technology? Made in USA, silver solder, included ground wire, and priced right.
    RCA Cable for Turntable

6. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

capacitance per meter? i don't see that

The lowest capacitance value shielded rca cables that i remember are blue jeans and signal cable ... there must be others, of course, but that cables are very good for tts.

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

yes, they look like the ones KAB carries, the ART POP which I have owned, made by american recorder. Save some money buying from KAB, just add your own ground cable.
    Low capacitance, sounded very good, beat only by some $300 Nordost.

KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com

8. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Thanks. Better than stock?

CTA likes this.
  9. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Are you using the stock mat? Is the tonearm level with the 1042?

10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Stock mat plus a 3mm cork/rubber with a Washi paper mat between the two.
    Yes the tonearm is typically level with all the carts I use.
    It seems that since I started using aftermarket headshells, I either had to shim at the cart/hs interface or add height at the platter, and since the combo on the platter now seems to work with regards to not overdampening or other ill effects I'm leaving it.
    It mainly started with a Zupreme 10g that I really liked, then I noticed it was easy to do a 2-point grid/arc alignment (overhang @ 18.28 w' Lofgren) with it because it gives ample room to scoot the cart wherever you want for alignment schemes.
    Originally meant to use the stock hs (I have 3 now) but the only cart I have that really needed it was a higher compliance Grado Gold1 which for some reason I was still able to get a different overhang and alignment on regardless of having read that it was tuff to do with a stock hs..
    I use two carts that are aligned with the factory overhang gauge and I'm starting to warm up to that way of doing it, like any other way of doing it, it just needs to be done very accurately for good results.

Joel S likes this.
  11. Mikylor

Mikylor Active Member

Hello,
    I have a dumb question. I have never had a DD TT before and I am looking at the GR. Can I buy a cartridge already attached to the Headshell and just pop it on or do i need to adjust the whole thing together?
    Thanks
    Miky

12. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Not a dumb question at all. ..Which cartridge? I know Ortofon makes a handful of cartridges that are integrated into the headshell.

13. Mikylor

Mikylor Active Member

I am not sure yet which one, i was just wondering if i could do that. I have seen some nice Nagaoka cartridges sold from Japan already on the headshell. Just wanted to know if something like that is plug and play.

Thanks
    Miky

14. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Ortofon / Reloop concorde models have cartridge and headshell integrated.
    Also Pro-ject have one concorde model.

They're already constructed for standard technics tonearm geometry.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Audio-Technica sells VM95 and VM500-series cartridges pre-aligned in a headshell, but check the alignments against the Technics alignment jig because it may not be pre-set for the Technics-specific 52mm. Adjusting it, though, is a simple matter of loosening the screws and sliding the cartridge forward a touch, then re-tightening the bolts.

csgreene, Upstateaudio and patient_ot like this.
  16. Mikylor

Mikylor Active Member

Thanks everyone!

Miky

17. fishtailparkas

fishtailparkas Active Member

Hi guys,

I'm in a position where I need to decide whether to continue waiting for a replacement SL-1200G or demand a refund.

So, first the issue: The tonearm base moves when I turn the tonearm height adjustment ring, and after I lock the tonearm height adjustment ring, it wiggles for about five seconds (as does the tonearm base) before it finally locks into position. I had received (and returned) two examples both manufactured in 2020 and the issue is present on both.
    The importer (no authorized dealer where I live) said that he had emailed Technics Japan, which replied that this is normal.
    However, locking tonearm height adjustment ring is instantaneous on my SL-1200mk6, which makes me wonder whether the aforementioned behavior is normal or an issue stemming from subpar QC at Technics...

Any input from SL-1200G owners is much appreciated!
    (And thanks to member Classicrock for redirecting me here.)

18. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

These look fantastic on the G. They should have come with the turntable.

19. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Maybe post a v
    Is it possible to post a video?

patient_ot likes this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It could just be that something wasn't adjusted right at the factory, or they are erring on the side of not clamping down on an adjustment vs. making it too tight and breaking an expensive part. As long as the tonearm base does not move when you are ready to put on a record, I don't see the problem. Bear in mind that these threads on the VTA adjuster have lubricant on them and the behavior of how it works may change over time as you use it more vs. when it's been sitting in a warehouse or on a dealer's stockroom shelf for months.

recstar24 likes this.
  21. fishtailparkas

Here it is:

The issue happens after I’ve just locked the tonearm height adjustment ring. Apparently I remembered incorrectly. It wiggles for more than five seconds.

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

After all that does it stop moving? Once the adjustment is made there should be no reason to touch the ring. It should be locked down and left alone. The base of the arm should not move when you play records. How much force are you using to move that after locking it down? Are you sure it was completely locked and not 1/2 or 3/4 of the way locked? Just covering the bases here.

23. fishtailparkas

Yes, I am absolutely positive that the VTA adjustment ring lock is pushed all the way, as I have confirmed this time and again.
    It does stop wobbling eventually, but it still concerns me, as the VTA adjustment ring moves the tonearm base, and it is unusual for tonearm bases
    to move at all on turntables...

I should stress that this issue is present on two examples I received.
    Granted, they were only 1 serial number apart.

Awaiting more input...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  24. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If the lock is fully engaged, this should not be possible at all.
    0 movement of the ring in respect to the index.

A slight play of the tonearm assembly as a whole providing a rotation of about 1 or 2mm is normal.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It doesn't move on my 1200. Dunno why it would move on a 1200G unless something is wrong or the lock wasn't engaged properly.

Oelewapper, Classicrock and recstar24 like this.