The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

These "reviewers" are basically stealth salesmen and paid shills. If they don't push crap you don't need, the gravy train of free product, review samples, affiliate linking income, etc. all comes to a grinding halt.

2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Your statement there reminds me that I read an 'audiophileman' review one time that gushed on and on about the LSD (Little Super Deck) by Funk Firm, how great the arm was, etc.
    Long story short is that Funk Firm should stick to what they know: mats.
    I ordered a LSD and it was a train wreck of quality issues piled into a box.
    I sent it back to England almost immediately because it was obvious that it was going to make more noise with motor rumblings than records.

I think with a good 1200 that the main tweaks are beneficial, like feet that add a higher degree of isolation and the arm damper that tames imperfect arm to cart matches.

3. malagacoolers

malagacoolers Forum Resident

I haven’t read through the massive backlog of discussion, but has anyone here actually purchased the 1200G or the 1200GR for that matter, and felt they needed to make significant (and expensive) improvements to improve the quality of its performance?

I’ve had my eye on one of these two tables for my next and final frontier upgrade, so this review is just driving me crazy right now lol!

4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

At least with the users here that i follow and have had some nice conversations with, none of us have really expressed a ridiculous desire to upgrade the table to the point of changing the darn thing. Many of us, myself included, are inherent tweakers that like to adjust and tailor certain things, but I know in my situation, I’d still be happy as a clam with my stock GR.

on my own deck, the things I’ve implemented - mofi record weight, KAB damper, new ICs - have helped the sound in subtle ways, but I would not say they are required for solid enjoyment.

Sterling1 and Dignan2000 like this.
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Like I said, my experience with the Audiopile man was that he is not an honest straight shooting reviewer, I would ignore whatever he writes, period.
    Either a G or GR really doesn't need anything, I think @ODS123 likes his G straight out of the box and doesn't think any tweaking or add ons are necessary -and that is absolutely true.
    You want to avoid upgraditis than get a G and be happy, you want to not spend that much but pretty much get the same result, then get a GR.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just forget that review.

7. malagacoolers

What interconnects did you end up going with? I’m not a cable denier, but I definitely don’t believe in paying an astronomically high price point for them.

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

same! I’ve always been a fan of Blue Jeans Cable, as they use quality wire from Belden, have published specs, and really aim for design aspects that at least have measurable performance improvements. My go to for TT to phono has always been the LC-1, but I recently upgraded to their BAV line that’s a sub section of their iconoclast series for a relatively reasonable cost.

Halloween_Jack and MusicNBeer like this.
  9. malagacoolers

Will definitely look into this brand. Thanks for the tip!

10. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yeah first he complains that it's like a starter kit, but at the end he gives it a high score (an 8 out of 10 from Paul Rigby is uncommon).

The only things I did were different feet, since I live in a house with wooden suspended floors and adding a KAB TD-1000 damper, to accomodate a wider variety of cartridges.
    Some people felt the need to add a thicker mat because they use a low cartridge and couldn't achieve the right VTA because of that.

All small tweaks though.
    I haven't heard of anyone who bought more intrusive upgrades like the external power supply.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  11. malagacoolers

I don’t see anything wrong with little tweaks like that. I was so just so offended at the idea of a $4000 turntable being only a starter kit for what you really need. My mind exploded! Like, how insulting to Technics and turntable consumers as a whole.

12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Just skimmed that review. Guys like him are why I don't pay any attention to audio reviewers. Most of them are full of ****.

13. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I bought a GR in November of 2019. I use the stock cables, feet, mat, etc. I run an AT95ML which took less than 15 minutes to get aligned precisely. I have no KAB gimmicks or stuff from other manufacturers/sellers and run the GR straight into my Yamaha's phono stage. If you people could hear what I hear, you'd understand why I don't buy into the audiophool garbage that so many fall for.

Wngnt90 and Sterling1 like this.
  14. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Pfft... you're probably using tone controls too. Do you even have audiophile power cables?

Andy Saunders likes this.
  15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

;)

16. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I purchased a mat to help with VTA. I was tail up slightly even with the arm at the lowest level, and I didn't want to shim.

I also purchased the KAB damper. That's no gimmick. It more than makes up for the cost on warped records, records with skips, and with anti-skate fiddling. I'm glad I had this option.

None of this stuff was "needed," but they all helped.

PS - I don't have stock cables anywhere in the system, but that's on me, not because the gear "needed" stuff.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You are way out with amounts. He is sort of right and also wrong. No the TT performs fine out of the box but his suggestions are valid to improve the sound. I replaced the interconnect with a dedicated for phono cable (£100), Changed the mat (£83) and bought a record stabliser ($42). Only the first I would say is a must. Not tried changing the power cable but will make a shielded one myself eventually to verify if there is any improvement. Since I got the TT at £300 below list I'm still under the £3K list price.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  18. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

I purchased one SL-1200G. I already had an SL-1000mkII. After I found just exactly how great the 1200G actually was, I purchased a second one. Having two 1200Gs actually made more sense to me than having one table with two arms. The only upgrades I have done is to add the KAB dampers to both tables and upgraded cables. I need to stress that there is absolutely NO NEED to upgrade anything on a stock 1200G. Especially the power supply or the arm. The arm is fantastic. The power supply is fine as-is and well isolated from the pickup. A 1200G is an excellent foundation for a high end vinyl playback system. Paired with a top grade LOMC cartridge and phono stage it is an impressive combination. If you are still sitting on the fence - jump! The water is warm!

19. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

Which cable did you choose?

20. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I've been debating between the 1210GR and P2 and saving the $1,000. Do you feel the GR was a worthy upgrade for the money? Thanks.

21. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Do you feel the same way about the stock cables? Are they also perfectly fine as-is?

22. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

In my opinion, to estimate if a higher quality component worth it or not, we need to check the most important piece in the system: speakers.

Speakers have the higher distortion / noise ratio, the higher impact in sound and all of this affected by room acoustics. It's the tap at the end of the pumbling ... with the tap at 25% ... It's worthless to have better flow.

If you have good quality speakers, the 1200GR must be an improvement (not night and day). If you have ultra refined speakers (4k + price tag), the difference can be much important.

The same with cables, at some situations ... as an example, many people have a cable mess in the rack. Interference can be audible as a less detailed background, less defined soundstage with generic cables. I don't believe in expensive fancy cables, but in good cables in some situations ... yes, of course.

But, if you listen with a little egg shape mp3 player, no, cables will not help in any way surely.

23. Rocat

Rocat Do you realise, this world is totally fugazi.

I really wouldn't know, I'm afraid. I couldn't do any head to head comparison: the Rega P2 went straight to my study rig, and a Carbon cartridge is in use.

I like the Rega P2: the sound is wide and well defined, bass is there, focus also, good PRAT. But: I have very little experience with components and tests between different models, and I'm not an audiophile, I'm afraid, so my impressions could be very wrong.

When I got the P2, I had not fully understood the lack of an adjustable antiskating: this could or could not be a deal breaker for some buyers (applying the many walkarounds available would perhaps void the warranty, here in Italy).

I tried, quite briefly, the Elys 2 on the P2: it sounded better: a sound perhaps wider and higher (talking about dimensions in space, here...), but I'm not sure it was really worth the cost. Should I decide to keep the P2, I will probably use fresh Carbons on it, I feel it sounds really good out of the box.

The 1210Gr: it is great. Easy to setup, it's a rock. Great engineering and great materials. Sound is really, really good, and your mind is at peace about the spinning speed (very important, IMO); hundreds (?) of reviews say it is a good product...But: I paid it three times the P2!
    You can get a beautiful P6 and still pay it less than the 1210Gr...So, I guess it's a really personal choice.

What amazes me: the two radically different building approaches by Technics and Rega, both leading to two great machines...

Sorry about the long answer!

Joel S likes this.
  24. malagacoolers

Do you mind throwing out a handful of LOMC cartridge recommendations that would sincerely compliment the 1200G?

25. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Thank you for the long answer. I appreciate your feedback very much. BTW, as of Fall 2020, the new P2 has adjustable antiskate.

Rocat likes this.