The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think the issue is for MC it is 50 ohm which doesn't suit that many current designs. I have found that the 'unnecessary' external component and leads performs better than most internal stages. I'm sure there are a few that compete but most amps don't even have one or include a cheaply designed add on.

Dischord, Nephrodoc and Big Blue like this.
  2. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

While I am waiting for my new SL1200GR and Dynavector cart to arrive. Out of curiosity how good are the power cord and interconnects that come with the table ? The power cord looks quite beefy and even the interconnects look a bit thicker than what I Have seen included with most stuff nowadays. (There are exceptions of course ! Like my Oppo 105D and 205 both have beefy power cables). Yes I know I can get better aftermarket cables for sure , ! but if I want to save a little money for a bit before I upgrade. Moving into the new home gotta get some other things first. I was happy to have gotten this great piece and some other gear!! Lol! Thanks peeps! let me know what you think or if anyone has been using the stock cables and/or made any brief comparisons ...

:) appreciate it fellow Technics fans !!
    This will be my 2nd Technics since 2007 (MK5 for my living room) this one is for my upcoming loft system.

3. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

They are just fine. They are the same power cord and interconnects Technics ships with their pricier G and GAE tables.

Nephrodoc, MikeJedi and Gabe Walters like this.
  4. Classicrock

I would replace the interconnect, but you likely will have to spend £100 to improve ( I am using a purpose made tonearm cable from Audioquest). Mainly not happy with the phono plugs which are similar to those that used to appear on thin free cables that came with components. The cable though quite thick looks similar to many generic Chinese sourced brands such as 'Prime Wire'. As for power cable it's about the same quality that comes with most (expensive) amps. Some suggest a shielded cable reduces noise but yet to try being a mains cable sceptic.

bru87tr likes this.
  5. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

New LP storage unit. ..The unit on left is about 1yr old, just added unit on right. ..Love fwd facing storage racks. ...Makes perusing library so much easier.

Divider Records |

Beautifully built! ..Very functional.

[​IMG]

6. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Doubt anyone will notice a difference (bar their lighter wallet)
    Interconnect need to be low capacity as short as possible.
    Regarding mains lead, people seem to forget the hundreds of meter inside wall and their influence vs 1.5 mtr snake oil.

7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Near field emission is the point of power cables, fancier ones have shielding to keep it inside.
    But that shouldn’t cost more than 20 bucks.
    The best thing against mains hum is proper cable routing, so that power cables aren’t near phono cables.
    No cable can beat good cable routing, but many people are too lazy to do that and just throwing some money at it is way easier :p

MikeJedi, patient_ot and ubiknik like this.
  8. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

As always you make good point Ole.. ..I would also add (others will disagree of course) that another hedge against hum is to use the internal phono pre-amp of the pre-amp or integrated amp if one is provided. Fewer grounding points and 2 fewer interconnects. My quietest setups have always been when using the phone pre-amp built into the pre/int. amp.

..I find hum to be particularly objectionable and will do almost anything to avoid it.

csgreene likes this.
  9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I do exactly that for similar reasons.

10. Oelewapper

Well, I think that’s a valid point for a preamp built in a turntable, since you get rid of exposed phono cables with low voltage signals that are prone to hum.
    But with a phono preamp built into the amplifier, you’re still running the low level phono signal through a cable and only get rid of the line level signal that would otherwise go from the phono preamp to the amplifier.
    Those line level signals are significantly less susceptible to mains hum... so much less that it’s IMO not really a significant advantage to get rid of that cable.

Edit:
    I agree when it comes to grounding issues, up to a certain point.
    To prevent ground loops, a built in phono preamp in an amplifier could be a reliable solution.
    But only if the amplifier has a dedicated signal ground on the PCB or a phono ground connection to the case without the same case being connected to PE (the GR/G already has its signal ground to PE, so that would create two points going to PE).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Big Blue and ODS123 like this.
  11. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

The stock RCAs were measured by someone on here and proved to be excellent quality. Design wise they’re consistent with the Technics cables of the past with the red and white plugs. I bought different cables but in retrospect probably shouldn’t have bothered.

MikeJedi, bru87tr and ODS123 like this.
  12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

What would you guys think is the best and safest weight to purchase for my new 1200GR? I probably won’t get one right away. I use a KAB Supergrip II on the MK5 with no issues. But looking to get something a little more substantial on the new one but I know I have heard horror stories about using weights too so I would assume something that works well but maybe a little more substantial than the KAB ... ? And safe to use :).. thanks :)

13. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Well, you can use a clamp, i think it's a safest method because it's not based on weight.
    The one I always hear as good for the Technics is the Michell Engineering ... you need to buy the appropriate model.

MikeJedi likes this.
  14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yes maybe that’s what I was aiming for! A clamp. Probably not a weight. I am way too OCD for a weight. I don’t want to potentially jack up my new table ! Thank you for helping me clarify ! :)

15. Oelewapper

The manual specifies 1kg weight max.
    So that should be safe.

MikeJedi likes this.
  16. Classicrock

Measurement and sound isn't the same. And those plugs stink. Of course you have to replace with something that allows more information to get through which may well cost a bit. I think Technics do expect buyers to change these cables. They are a standard phono interconnect for high levels and certainly not optimised for low output MC cartridges.

17. Classicrock

Audio Technica AT 618. (21oz / 600 gram)

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. Hardcore

Well that’s just your opinion, I like red and white plugs personally that’s what I’ve had on equipment since I was a kid.

todd141 and csgreene like this.
  19. Classicrock

Yes they are the same plugs that came with skinny free cables in the box with Japanese equipment going back 50 years or more. Before anyone started discussing cables make a difference. Value = 0.01p !

20. Hardcore

That .01p more than your patronising responses are worth.

csgreene likes this.
  21. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

So if not through the use of measurements, how should Technics design and engineer their cabling? By sound? ..How would they do this?

And the plugs are just fine. There is nothing to be gained sonically by dressing up the plugs. ..If people wish to buy nicer cables, that is fine of course. But I don't think there is an engineering, evidenced-based reason for doing so. ..It would be more of a pride-of-ownership kinda thing. ..And there's no shame in that.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    csgreene and Hardcore like this.
  22. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Technics didn’t design the cables. They are an off-the-shelf OEM cable that costs next to nothing and was only included so people could use the table right out of the box. In no way, shape or form did Technics put any R&D towards them. They simply included the cheapest cable that worked. Just like the cables that came with VCRs in the 80s and 90s. They are not special at all. A no amount of wishing they were will change that.

Big Blue likes this.
  23. Hardcore

No ones implying they are special, merely stating that they’re perfectly capable of the job at hand. Owners are free to upgrade if they wish!

24. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The person I quoted made the assumption that Technics specifically designed the cables for their new turntables. I was simply pointing out that that is not true.

25. Hardcore

My apologies. I only wanted to let MikeJedi know that the stock cables do the job just fine but things went left somewhat.