The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

AFAIK, that applies to all parts of the world.

2. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Many times I hear talk about "bright" when it really means "flat", because they like the "smile equalization" shape in sound.

And it's ok, we can't discuss what you like / dislike. But the goal for a hifi component generally it's to be true to the recording, not to add some "colour" to the sound. When we want to modify the tonal balance in the recording we have a specific component for that: equalizer. The master sound engineering, the artist and the producer already left the recording with determined tonal balance ... if you like it in other way, you need to equalize again. I think many times some audio listeners never heard real unplugged instruments ... a battery doesn't sound as a kick in the chest, it's much more dry and fast and a strong trumpet attack it's everything apart from "warm" ... and maybe that's what you have in the recording.

It's a kind of no sense to not include equalization because it's an heresy and then search for components to colour the sound the way you like.

3. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

the automatic corrector it's a mess ... I mean drums :D

4. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

It’s the same in England. You could pick up a 1200G for £2200 a couple of years ago but theyre £3500 now!

The GR was down to £1000 here at one point.

5. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I got my GR off Ebay for just over £800 at auction. I think it was an open box item all the packaging was there untouched, still don't know exactly what the deal was as the seller had g's and gr's and was auctioning them off at 99p starts!

Hardcore likes this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yeah the low ohm match concerns me. I might go back to looking at the Dynavectors.

Oelewapper likes this.
  7. Oelewapper

Hopefully not stolen goods.

MikeJedi likes this.
  8. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Hopefully not. they did have other panasonic items too, kind of odd! I wondered if it was a shop that had overstocks, it was at the very start of lockdown.

9. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Another term that I struggle to understand is "listening fatigue" You'll read opinions about speakers where someone will write "I loved how they sounded but after a while they caused listening fatigue. ..So I sold them!"

Their criticism reveals a clear misunderstanding about REAL music - which is REAL music can and will cause listening fatigue if listened to long enough or loud enough. If you want your speakers to faithfully reproduce real music, they will have to be capable of causing listening fatique.

Even in a live, unamplified setting horns, flutes, drums, strings (just to name a few), even when played by skilled musicians, can begin to grate on ones nerves if heard from too close or too long.

Humans evolved hearing nothing louder than the wind, waves, streams, and the very infrequent thunder crack (which is over quickly).. Hearing the Rolling Stones, or even Chet Baker, for 90 minutes at just 85-90 db is not something we are naturally built for.

So if someone's speakers NEVER cause listening fatigue then they are not very accurate or musical.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Mike70 likes this.
  10. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Perfect! :righton:

11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Well I found out today that my step siblings apparently threw out or donated my Dads old Dual 1009 which needed some work .. and then claiming they never saw it. They just got rid of it and donated boxes without looking . Dumb. Makes me upset. But somewhat bittersweet I am getting my new Technics TT tomorrow. I miss Dad he taught me so much. I just wanted it so bad and really wanted to set it up as a nice vintage piece. But it just sux. I am glad I was able to at least salvage the Akai R2R and TEAC cassette deck and of course the Klipsch.

todd141 likes this.
  12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Dynavector 20x2 L. Recommended load greater than 30 ohms. Good
    Output voltage .30 Good

Yamaha 2200 MC Impedence 50 ohms
    Yamaha 2200 MC gain 62 dB

maybe this might be a really good match ? Looks like it might

13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Dynavector 10x5 mkii seems to be a decent match as well

And even the Audio Technica VM760 SLC MM cart. Although would be a bit worried about the brightness on these like the other ATs however some of the reviews say these are not as bright as the older ATs and it gets superb reviews. ......

14. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Or we don’t have it turned up that loud.

patient_ot, SeeDeeFirth and ODS123 like this.
  15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

If I rehearse without earplugs I have listening fatigue very quickly... Even if I practice drums by myself. A 20" crash cymbal at an arm's length from your ear can be very fatiguing.

Big Blue, patient_ot, Mike70 and 2 others like this.
  16. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Or we just really love the music we are listening to lol...

17. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I always understood 'listening fatigue' to refer more to the 'fatiguing' effects of sibilance, shrill highs, etc on the ears, not just physical fatigue from extended listening. It's a subjective term thrown around quite frequently in headphone reviews.

punkmusick likes this.
  18. 16hz lover

16hz lover Forum Resident

There was a standard 1200 model on the classifieds for $50.00 last night.

19. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Sibilance and shrill highs very much exist in real music… So any speaker or headphones that aims to reduce them is therefore less musical. That is my point.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  20. Oelewapper

"musical sound" is a bit vague IMO since distortion can be musical as well, I would rather call it accurate - accurate to the original recording.

Mike70 and SeeDeeFirth like this.
  21. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I actually thought about editing my comment to say exactly that :) yes, accurate! Real music has shrill highs and sibilance so accurate speakers will faithfully convey this.

Mike70, Oelewapper and SeeDeeFirth like this.
  22. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

That's why I mentioned that hifi means to be faithful to the recording.

If you don't like it, equalize it. I personally prefer flat sounding components (specially in transducers components) and parametric equalization to search for the saint grial sounding components.

Sterling1 and SeeDeeFirth like this.
  23. Oelewapper

Accuracy and equalization are not mutually exclusive.
    Inaccuracy in reproduction can be compensated for by means of an EQ.
    I agree that HiFi is about sound accuracy, however high-end is not - even though many people see high-end as a sub category of HiFi.
    IMO, high-end is about great sound. And sometimes that's achieved by altering it, such as adding warmth (even harmonics) by the use of tubes.

24. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Ok. But "great sound" it's much more subjective than faithful to the recording concept.

Maybe I'm biased because I don't believe in high end, for me it's only a very fancy layer over the hifi component.

In the end it's only another "equalization", we don't have bat ears ... over some limit, quality it's inherently the same and you're only doing another equalization, not really improving the quality in what you hear.

Sterling1 and Oelewapper like this.
  25. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Please don’t do that. Use earplugs. Trust me on this one. I’m lucky I only gave myself tinnitus and didn’t actually suffer any hearing loss practicing without earplugs.
    Same. And to refer to your previous comment, I have a fondness for a bunch of poorly-recorded UK and US hardcore records from the ‘80s that have an insane amount of sibilance and shrill highs, especially on the guitars. I love that stuff, but I can’t listen to it too loud for too long or my ears hurt.

Pali Gap, Hardcore and punkmusick like this.