The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

The start button on my GR is 'loose', has some freedom of movement, I think it's built that way. I imagine the switch is made by a contractor and it's the exact same switch no matter where it's made.
    'jap'?
    Not cool

ODS123 and Dischord like this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

The start button on my 1200G is like an exact replica of the ones I had on my MK2, MK4 and M5G...
    Same for the speed selection buttons, other than the LED color (and the MK4 having 3).

Ingenieur likes this.
  3. Ingenieur

Bottom of switch assembly
    switch
    Push button
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ingenieur

Switch is made in Japan by Omron and shipped the Malaysia

[​IMG]

5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Are you sure those are 1200G/GR parts?
    The PCB looks like the one used in the legacy 1200s because of the wavy traces (typical for hand drawn traces used back in the days - PC drawn are generally straight unless it’s for HF applications).
    And the black connector looks like the ones used until mid 90s.

6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, for some reason, there are people who take issue with some of us utilizing features that are part of the appeal of this design (what would the purpose of interchangeable headshells be if not to, you know, change headshells?). I would do exactly what you explain in that situation, too. Why not, right?

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yes, also the fact that it’s not mentioned in the manual. I don’t think Technics means for it to be done, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

As far as I can tell, there is one lone source for that 9 gram figure, and that source doesn’t cite its source or explain how that was measured. Since the GR arm wand doesn’t seem substantially different from a mk2 arm wand, most people assume it’s 12 grams, which was the published spec for the mk2 arm. I’d imagine the G could be different because it’s a different metal. But, no, I haven’t seen anybody give a definitive answer.

If someone was to choose a cartridge assuming 12 grams is right and then measures the resonance only to find it needs weight added, that’s easy enough to accomplish with a different headshell. Hard to go the other direction, though, if assuming it’s 9 grams and finding things are too heavy. So I think the safe side may be to assume 12? Maybe?

9. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

The resonance tests I did a few weeks back lead me to believe that it’s closer to 9 than 12. Using a calculator, I should get about 8Hz resonance with an Ortofon 2M Red if it’s 12g, but I measured 9.04Hz, which I would expect if it was 9 or 10g. I haven’t measured the arm or done extensive testing, so I’m not making any declarations. But it wouldn’t surprise me if the effective mass is less than 12g.

nomad709 and Big Blue like this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

But if you really measured 9 Hz resonance frequency and think the Ortofon lateral compliance spec is accurate, that would imply the tonearm effective mass is about 7.5 grams, which seems pretty unlikely.

You said a few pages back that you tested the VM540ML, do you know what frequency that measured on the arm? We've seen recent test results of the resonance on the old SL-1200 arm.

It's obviously hard to try and calculate the tonearm effective mass from a resonance test since there aren't many precise known values to use in the equation, so if you already have the arm and cartridge, more meaningful to just check and see that it is OK. Sometimes we get a little carried away with running the numbers :)

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Big Blue likes this.
  11. Ingenieur

How in the heck do you measure an arms resonant frequency?

12. JohnQVD

According to my notes, 8.79 Hz. On the stock headshell, of course. I also measured it on a Jelco headshell that’s a good but heavier then the stock and it was under 7Hz.

Davey likes this.
  13. Davey

In the review measurements of the VM540ML with the stock SL-1200 Mk6 they measured the resonance around 7.5 Hz, which leads to the reasonable compliance number of 23 cu. Your measurement again puts the tonearm effective mass in the unlikely 7 gram range.

14. JohnQVD

Maybe RX is on crack. What do you use for analysis? I can try again with something else.

15. Davey

Audio Interface

Just record a few seconds of audio or silence between tracks, or even just set the needle on the record without it turning, or record during cueing, and look at the spectrum, should be pretty obvious unless well damped or filtered out in the preamp ... I think below was just an environment test when I just had the needle on the record without it playing to check the background vibrations - there was some construction noise in the neighborhood, that's what some of the 30Hz noise is from, and some 60Hz AC components ... this was my old tonearm with around 13 grams mass and the AT-OC9XML, which is fairly high compliance, so resonance is pretty low at around 7-8 Hz. It's lower when the record is playing, down a little below 7 Hz.

[​IMG]

patient_ot and Ingenieur like this.
  16. Ingenieur

When I calculate eff mass for the GR I come up ~18- 20 gm with my cartridge

I estimated arm/headshell/cartridge like this.
    Arm zeroed
    CW 100 gm + tube ~ 120 gm
    d to CoM CW ~ 4.5 cm
    d pivot to stylus 23 cm
    4.5 / 23 x 120 = 23 gm

eff mass = (100 x 4.5^2)/(23^2) + (2 x 23 / 3)
    = 3.8 + 15.3 ~ 19 gm

[​IMG]

17. Davey

I'm sure most people realize, but I should probably still mention in case it's not clear, the spectrum above is captured after the phono preamp so shows the RIAA equalization applied, and hence the 6dB/octave rise below 500 Hz, and the 6dB fall above 2 KHz. It doesn't really make sense in this context since the record isn't playing so there is no signal that needs RIAA equalization, but that's my normal audio capture chain from the turntable. It does show why you need to be careful with controlling the tonearm resonance because the effects can be greatly exaggerated due to the phono RIAA equalization applied, which does stop rising when the signal is below 50 Hz, but that is still a lot of bass boost being applied to the resonance signal from the cartridge.

patient_ot and Ingenieur like this.
  18. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

That all start buttons on SL12x0's have a degree of play is a point of fact; as to whether it's "wobbly" is a subjective judgment.

Ingenieur likes this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think I’d have to be real picky to notice anything I’d call “play” in the start button on mine. I don’t think there is any more play than the buttons on any other piece of electronics gear I own... it seems to function just how any other button functions, right? :confused:

nomad709 likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

As with any 1200, you can feel some springiness in the, well, spring, before the switch engages. Is that what he’s talking about? Does he appear to have any prior 1200 experience?

21. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Quite possible he is talking about Power On switch, which is a turning thing, not a button.

22. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

I agree, these are mass produced assembled electronic products some play in buttons especially some as big as the start/stop button is expected. I understand these tables are not cheap and perfection is expected but nick picking over trivial things that don't affect functionality is imo not worth it especially if you're after the technics DD sound.

23. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Strange

The start/stop button on my GR is all in caps.

dcarwin and Big Blue like this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I guess I’m just not sure what else I should be expecting from that button. It seems completely fine to me.

25. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Managed to partially setup up this GR beauty yesterday. Very impressed with the premium packaging and finish. This is not a cheap dj turntable. Feels and looks like pure quality! It was made in Japan according to the box.

[​IMG]

Dignan2000, Kostas, Joel S and 8 others like this.