The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

If it’s a gray market piece that could be why it has issues. I agree Return it ASAP!

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  2. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

And the ding suggests it isn't a Technics QC issue, but rather the table was damaged then re-boxed and sold as brand new.

3. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

They are a real brick and mortar dealer. They will take my return. It's just a bit of a hassle, that's all.

MikeJedi likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Camera is moving too much to tell if it's warped, but I wouldn't accept a ding. That sounds like b stock stuff.
    Also, prob best to buy from an authorized dealer, you never know where that table came from.

5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Good to hear. Many gray market dealers have storefronts (like certain camera dealers).

MikeJedi likes this.
  6. PoetryOnPlastic

My friend put me in touch with a dealer who saw my video. He says the bearing itself is bent. Yeah this is leaving asap.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

For what is worth even Technics promo video on making the 12ooG shows slight platter wobble at 2:26

I guess they assume if its not giving the record an audible bounce its within tolerance. My new GR has a slight wobble that i'm okay with, not noticeable unless I really look for it at eye level with the platter. I am not playing the platter lottery game so its staying with me.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    punkmusick likes this.
  8. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

What matters is the record surface of the platter itself - don't fixate on whether or not the dots or the top/bottom trim line of the platter are moving slightly upward and downward. ..It's the levelness of the record surface that ONLY matters.

Technics created a monster by providing strobe dots on their platters. Imagine the challenge of precisely milling (or casting, same difference) hundreds of strobe dots onto a platter THEN provide a strobe light which does a perfect job of illuminating ANY imperfection as as to their size, spacing, polish, etc..

Trust me... A strobe platter from ANY of Technics competitors, at same up to 4x the price, would show just as much strobe dot movement.

snorker likes this.
  9. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

If you have an iPhone open the bubble level app , set it on the platter, and rotate by hand.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

My Technics SL1200mk2 has no wobble (at least from what I can see) it was manufactured in 2007. .. there shouldn’t be any for such a precision piece imo.. I fail to believe Technics would accept that much wobble ...

Andy Saunders likes this.
  11. PoetryOnPlastic

unfortunately it is making the tonearm bob up and down. It’s such a shame, because it does sound excellent, much better than my Scout, but I’m not willing to deal with the future complications a defect/damaged part like this will bring. I’ll just wait until the real dealers get the restock. Malaysia or not, if I can get a defect/damage free table that sounds this good, I don’t care where it’s assembled.

12. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

How is it that other manufacturers, including big names like Audio Technica and Pioneer, manage to "get away" with copying the design of the SL 1200?

13. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Good decision. ..But don't give up on getting one in the near term, just limit your search to Authorized dealers. ..If it were me I'd go to the Technics website and just work my way down their list of Authorized dealers. Some of them claim to have new 1200G's in stock.

As for you deck, I wonder what will become of it. Hopefully the dealer won't just rebox it and resell it without getting the issue addressed.

14. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Patents expire.

ODS123 and nomad709 like this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think this indicates it was dropped, and may have been repackaged. Wonder where these 'unofficial' sellers could be getting these from. Interestingly in UK it does not appear that sellers have to stock (all) other Technics products. Most of the hi-fi chains have these online and in some stores.

Big Blue likes this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They only copy the look. Not the same design under the skin (actually Super OEMs are considerably different if you look at the electronics). It may be that the top plate layout never had a patent. Technics never had exclusive rights on DD technology or 'S' shaped tonearms.

Big Blue likes this.
  17. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

They copy the motor design, almost exactly. Punkmusick is right it they started when the patents expired. The electronics are very different to the original SLs though.

Reloop
    [​IMG]

Technics
    [​IMG]

punkmusick and patient_ot like this.
  18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the camera is too wobly to get a good read on platter movement.

punkmusick and Ingenieur like this.
  19. PoetryOnPlastic

Tripod recording

avanti1960, formu_la and Slick Willie like this.
  20. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Yes, it's pretty clearly moving up and down. Don't let the dealer talk you into letting them repair it. You deserve a perfect table right out of the box.

21. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Did you try loosening the 3 platter bolts and retightening or torquing them evenly?

22. PoetryOnPlastic

I did that twice, no luck

Ingenieur likes this.
  23. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

In the case of the Pioneer, it also helped that Technics left the market. When the PLX-1000 was released Technics was out.

Big Blue and Hardcore like this.
  24. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I remember they were pretty controversial at first as they were obvious rip offs, especially as 1200s were still in production. The Stanton ones were the first that I remember.

Now you have Thorens putting that motor in an £8000 turntable!

Big Blue and Oelewapper like this.
  25. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yep, the Thorens TD-124 has a Hanpin motor, but I suppose they've designed the controller themselves.
    And its tonearm is almost a copy of a EMT tonearm.

Danmar and Hardcore like this.