The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

AFAIK, the MK7, GR, 1500C and 100C all have the same motor, but differ in PCB color.

2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Since when has thinking, problem solving, research, etc. become 'difficult' rather than interesting or challenging? Or even fun?

If I can share my limited knowledge I will, because I have greatly benefitted from that of others, here and everywhere. I had a mentor who taught me you want the people you work for, with and whom work for you to be smarter than you. And you want to help them get there. I know, a low bar set, but a bar none the less.

People hoard knowledge, out of insecurity, job security, fear of ridicule, being wrong, etc.
    The people you can't trust, ladder climbers, back biters, etc., typically won't do the work to learn, the ones you can trust, will.
    Self regulating, lol

A thing I love about engineering: it countenances no BS, it will be exposed, all work is peer reviewed, several times during the process. Things slip thru, but not gross BS.

rant over :biglaugh:

recstar24 and Big Blue like this.
  3. Ingenieur

How in the heck do you know so much about this stuff!? Ckt. board color! Lol

Technics engineer?
    :evil:

4. Oelewapper

Nah. Comparing explodes views and watching videos :p

Ingenieur likes this.
  5. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I’m sure I saw all three side by side in a video, where they’d been removed from the turntables. I’ll try and find it.

6. Ingenieur

Is the encoder used in a PID feedback control loop or for setting the pitch control?

7. Oelewapper

Probably one of MF or John Darko vids at a HiFi conference.
    Highend munich or munchen probably.

8. Ingenieur

Wow
    That patent is for the position sensor only!

The present invention is available for detection of a rotation angle of an output shaft of an internal combustion engine, an electric motor, and others.

9. Hardcore

Edit-

Here you can see them all!

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Oelewapper and Ingenieur like this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m also not sure what the point of this thread or even this forum is if not to discuss things like this. I don’t see a ton of value in a bunch of posts that are just “this turntable is good” or “this amp sounds like garbage” without any discussion of why.

recstar24, punkmusick and Ingenieur like this.
  11. Ingenieur

I've read your posts, and imo you know, lol:
    Seek knowledge
    Share knowledge
    Have fun doing so

If I choose to waste my time delving into something, who cares? It's my time, if you don't want to waste yours, skip over it.
    I try to at least scan everything, if interested, dive into it.

recstar24 and Big Blue like this.
  12. JP

JP Forum Resident

Ah, I read your comment differently as the topic was speed control.

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

No idea, someone more knowledgeable should jump in.

So you think this is it, as used in the GR/MK7?

14. Oelewapper

Lol yeah I already suspected that we were on a different wavelength, but didn't know for sure :p

15. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Is the 1500C just a 1200GR without the pitch control? Or are there other differences? Is the tonearm the same on these two models?
    (FWIW, I did look through this thread a bit, but not all 300+ pages.)

Asking as I start to do homework on the new Technics line. The GR looks like where I'll probably land, but would not be averse to putting cost difference between these two models into a better cart.

Background: Had a Technics SL1700 back in the day, was out of the vinyl game for at least 20 years, then used a 1200MKI with an upgraded MKII tonearm from about 2012-2017. Picked up a Marantz TT15s1 around that time, which I've been pretty happy with. But I really miss the ability to easily swap different carts in. So...looking to return to the Technics fold, or at least something with a tonearm that allows this. (I also looked at the Polytable.)

It seems I'll have plenty of time to research my options as Technics tt's seem to be generally out of stock right now.

16. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I think it's time to plan for a replacement for my old Hana SL- it's been a good run of a few years, but it must be getting on towards the end of its effective life . . .
    I'm clueless about compliance specs for carts, so reaching out the thread here for some recommendations on what to try out next- I've got the 1210gr, and I'm currently using a bob's devices sky20 SUT, which I'd also like to continue using with the new cart.
    What LOMC's in the $500-$2000 price range would people recommend that would be a good match for the 1210's tonearm and my SUT?

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No. Check the Technics website, they have all the differences clearly laid out.

csgreene and punkmusick like this.
  18. Hardcore

punkmusick and Oelewapper like this.
  19. Hardcore

Actually I stand corrected Oelewapper, it does appear to the the same motor. The spindle looks better quality on the GR.

Here’s the GR motor

[​IMG]

And the 1500c

[​IMG]

punkmusick and Oelewapper like this.
  20. Oelewapper

Yes looks like the spindle is differently shaped on the outside, so they’re not literally interchangeable.
    Might just be to make it fit in different turntable cases (like making some room for the internal preamp)... I doubt that it will be significantly different on the inside.

Hardcore likes this.
  21. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Tonearm specs look the same.
    The 1500C has auto lift and a different mounting which is significant if you intend to replace the tonearm. Mounting plates are readily available for the 1200GR. Also a rewire for the GR tonearm is relatively straightforward, whereas a rewire for the 1500C is complicated by the auto lift. KAB stopped doing a rewire for the 1500C because of this.

riverrat likes this.
  22. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

What is the purpose of the six smaller holes on the top plate?

23. Davey

Davey NP: Melanie De Biasio ~ Blackened Cities (2016 LP)

To attach the magnet (rotor) to the platter...

[​IMG]

Ingenieur likes this.
  24. Ingenieur

Bolt it all together

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  25. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

D'oh! Thanks.