The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

but you are missing the direct correlation, not solely on technical matter, but the collecting aspect.
    Exact correlation.

fraud is a strong word
    imo more misleading or incomplete advertising coupled with a lack of technical understanding of the consumer.

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

BTW @junkculture, if you get the inclination, I'm sure many of us would love to hear your thoughts on how some of those Audio-Technica cartridges compare to each other, especially the OC9XML to the ART9XI, that would be fun to read.

recstar24, junkculture and ubiknik like this.
  3. Ingenieur

There are measurable difference in watches.
    The point is both are hobbies, can be $$$, which in the eye of the 'common man', correlate them.
    Whether the sound or time accuracy matters is moot.

4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Every hobby can get as expensive as someone wants it to be.
    That's not really a correlation between the two that's very typical for these two types of products.
    It's a very broad category of products.

I don't collect HiFi equipment, I own a few pieces HiFi equipment in order to playback various audio formats (I know some people do actually collect HiFi equipment, but I think most on this forums don't).
    Basically every product can be collected, so that's also not really typical for these two types of products.

Well... no. That's the main motivation for most people to get/be into HiFi - it's about product performance/accuracy.
    For mechanical watches it's about aesthetics instead of performance/accuracy.
    In that sense, it's closer related to paintings.

Just tell me which correlation I'm missing instead, this doesn't clarify it.

Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Latest 'debate' started on page 322 - we are now on page 324.
    Doesn't look like anyone is gonna cry uncle.

6. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, if you removed all the off topic discussions, along with all the endlessly redundant posts in this thread, it would go from 324 pages down to about 100. But I'm sure a few of those cut would be mine :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  7. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The lack of 'questions' about the 1200s is a sign that these are rock solid built and easy to use.
    So I suppose it's ok to wander a bit from being 'on topic'.

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Of course one always expects a bit of it.
    It's the redundant part that can get tiresome.

ubiknik likes this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah. I hate it when people say “mid-Fi” to, apparently, mean HiFi that they don’t perceive as being super expensive. It’s still HiFi, regardless of price, because the intention is still to achieve high fidelity!

An iPhone and the current lowest-level Technics turntables are about the same price, but, as audio devices, one is not HiFi, while the other is.

Ingenieur, Agitater and Oelewapper like this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ha! Yes. Like I wonder how many different times the KAB damper has been discussed, or the tonearm effective mass…

Davey likes this.
  11. Oelewapper

Well... I think their idea is that “mid-fi” is aspiring HiFi, but not accurate enough to qualify as high.
    But that’s more of an opinion of course... IMO, as far as it’s better than just some average audio equipment, it could qualify as HiFi; some HiFi equipment is just better than other HiFi equipment.

Big Blue likes this.
  12. Ingenieur

nope, not even close, actually obtuse and conflating.
    It is EXACTLY a correlation.

to the average Joe spending big money on watches, hifi, guitars, etc., is the same thing.
    Silly, wasteful, ostentatious, elitist.
    Correlation

You've collected and assembled components into a system. An continue to collect media.
    A collection.

Wrong again
    The main motivation is a distraction, something to obsess over, people talk about watches and stereos more than they use them.
    Correlation.

13. Ingenieur

I want isolation feet!
    Getting the silver ones, correlates with my watch.
    :biglaugh:

Big Blue, Oelewapper and ubiknik like this.
  14. Ingenieur

15. Oelewapper

Inherent to most hobbies, as I said:
    Wasteful, probably, in the sense that the resources could’ve been used for more urgently needed goods.
    Silly, ostentatious and elitist are personal value judgements, but not inherent product properties.

I’ve also collected and assembled various pc components into a system, does that desktop pc also count as a collection?
    How about the IKEA cupboard I’ve recently assembled from various components?
    How about the water in my rainwater collector?
    A collection of raindrops?
    I don’t exactly know how Americans define a “collection” or “collecting” but that’s definitely not the way I would define a collection or the act of collecting in this context.

Yes that would definitely qualify as a collection, but we were talking about HiFi equipment, not about media.

Yes, that’s the idea of a hobby. It called entertainment.
    Not very specific for HiFi, it applies to a very broad range of products.

I can’t speak for other people, but that definitely doesn’t apply to me.

So far, the only correlation we have been able to confirm is that both are hobbies, a means of entertainment.

16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Ignore the flac these little feetsies bring up:
    1. Turntables benefit from isolation, the more the better.
    2. The Isonoe system takes the stock feet concept to another level, when you take the stock feet off, the first thing you notice is that they and the Isonoe feet work a similar concept, but the Isonoe add a suspension easpect to the deck, which takes thewhole deck up and decouples from the shelf.

This isolation from the shelf adds another layer of isolation for the deck -it's really that simple, I chose to use the Isonoe feet the way they come as I have a very isolated shelf to begin with, but you can get Sorbathane boots and lab glass inserts for those as well -not sure what, if or how they improve anything.

17. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Interested to hear if anybody on here has done a head-to-head comparison of a new 1200 GAE/G/GR versus a fully-KAB modded 1200 MKII (esp tonearm rewire, RCA upgrade, fluid damper)? All other things being equal in the setup, would love to hear people's thoughts. Sorry if this has already been discussed. 324 pages in a thread are a lot to go through.... I asked Kevin about him modding a new 1200 model and he currently is not doing it due to increased technical demand and higher risk/cost if things get screwed up. I modded my own 1200 MK II but I would be hesitant to do it if I were to buy a 1200 G. The tonearm wiring in the new 1200 models is tin-coated copper and not the same quality as the 'air litz' he sells. I understand the build of the new 1200's is better, but I am curious as to if a new 1200 with the fluid damper he sells would outperform a fully-modded MKII or similar older model.

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I don't collect watches and I try like hell to keep old stereo gear from piling up, but I have two of these so maybe I'm a 'car collector'. One is a '97 stick and the other is a '98 auto - I need two to rotate with my mechanic...

19. Oelewapper

Well, it's a collection of car components assembled into a car, so yep, that should qualify as a collection :D

ubiknik likes this.
  20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Components that are increasingly hard to find.
    Example: The direct ignition coil packs are no longer made OEM and they are the only type that work robustly and last, the Chinese knock offs just don't cut it, The slave cylinder for the manual is another tricky part although I have an aftermarket in it now , it works good but I have an OEM stashed for the next time that part comes up.
    The last time I had to do the clutch and slave cylinder there was only one OEM on Ebay and it was listed at $900!
    It's a 140$ part originlly, I did find an OEM later at a reasonable price.
    It works the other way too, I needed a new AC compressor for the '98 and for 200$ got a spanking brand new OEM unit that originally retailed for $799!

21. zargoz

zargoz Forum Resident

Ok, I have a question:

Anyone else find the spindle on their GAE slightly undersized? At least half my records have a bit of 'float' about the spindle and I can see they're just slightly off-center when the arm starts tracking. Any tips to manually center a record? (I do have off-center pressings as well, but not the majority.) On my old VPI the spindle was tight on most LPs.

If I get a record that fits tightly there's no issues, and I can sometimes center the loose ones with a lot of trial and error, so I don't think it's an issue with the bearing or platter or anything like that. Just a matter of getting the record centered when there is a mm or fraction thereof of play.

22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

My GR has this play as well, I know because I have a Clearaudio table that has a very snug fit spindle.

23. Ingenieur

You do not see it.
    It is obvious.
    A direct correlation, not remotely indirect.
    A to B straight line.
    You repeating that in your OPINION it does not change the FACT it exists.
    Plain as the nose on your face. :biglaugh:
    So you admit there is a correlation
    It's a hobby
    Both can be expensive
    Done for personal satisfaction
    Both pride of ownership, bragging rights
    Both highly technical
    Both have snob appeal
    Correlation on many facts!!!:goodie:

24. Ingenieur

900 Turbo?
    Nice
    I'm not up on my Saabs

25. Oelewapper

That’s a pity... Unfortunately, that’s a common issue when things get older...
    I think that applies to many vintage audio components as well.
    Especially proprietary parts eventually get harder and harder to come by.