The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Oh, oh
    I'm 6' 180-185 lb depending on season
    I'm medium

:biglaugh:

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Especially not under warranty!

patient_ot likes this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I do not know the diameter of the G' platter but would suggest you get the 285mm diameter mat.
    This leaves about 3/8 of an inch of the record unsupported by the mat, but this is a good thing.
    The outer 3/8 of an inch of the record has a tapered, thicker section that leads to the thicker bead on the lip and includes just the lead in grooves.
    If the mat makes contact with the outer, thicker section of the record, it will raise the first part of the musical grooves off of the mat because that section is thinner.
    A 285mm diameter mat will support the entire flat section of the record (where the music is) and let the whole record surface make contact with the mat.

Dignan2000 and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. missan

missan Forum Resident

I just had a try with satire at its finest.
    Also I don't understand those figures.

Ingenieur, Oelewapper and elvisizer like this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would think the relief around the outer edge of the black donut part of the mat would be enough to make this a non-issue, right? I believe the black donut is the same size regardless of overall mat diameter.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If narrowing down a definition is not reasonable, then everything in our universe is correlated and "a correlation" has zero meaning.
    Just quit the trolling.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are going to get a new arm, it doesn't really make sense to do an incremental upgrade. If it were me I would only consider the "G" arm for a modded deck if you are talking 1200 arms. Now, a high-end vintage arm that's been serviced may also be a good option. Bear in mind it's not unusual to pay $1500 or more for a good quality standalone tonearm. Options have also narrowed a bit since Jelco left the market.

Big Blue likes this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

As well as SME discontinuing standalone tonearms. I’m not even sure what I would buy new anymore, if I was to look at arm upgrades…

Dr. Metal MD and patient_ot like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yeah, the Sorane arms look interesting, but not exactly cheap. And if you don't like it, I'm not sure how easy to return they would be. Plus some of those will put you halfway to a 1200G.

Big Blue and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

1200G takes a standard sized TT (295 mm) mat unlike lower models where you have to allow for the rim. Stock 1200G mat is approx 292mm. The Oyaide BR12 mat fits and that is 294mm.

HiFi Guy and junkculture like this.
  11. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Some time ago I was discussing turntables with one of the owners of the local Hi-Fi shop and he mentioned he had considered buying the SL-1200G to fit Audio Origami PU7 ToneArm

Edit. Johnnie has an excellent reputation for rebuilding arms (bearings used match or exceed original performance) and years of experience with many arms including Technics. How about 14K gold plating for your arm? Audio Origami

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Big Blue likes this.
  12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

How would it fit? The armbase is different. Maybe a mk7 arm?

13. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. Those arms are so expensive, it's almost worth just buying the entire new deck. Complete Tone Arm / Tonearm Base Assembly SL-1200 G

The S-shaped one looks really nice, but same issues as above. Almost the cost of a GR.

Thanks for the idea! Would be very interesting to hear how that combo works if he ever does it.

I did not ask ha. Just took him at his word.

14. Ingenieur

It is not I trolling.
    First you claim no correlation.
    Now you claim there is. But only by your definition.
    Think about it.

imo correlation does not have to be sensory specific, ie, it's not correlated if both subjects don't produce sound. We are talking about habits and hobbies, not function.

15. Ingenieur

It was funny , and may bear a grain of truth.
    1.83 m and 83 kg, approximately
    :evil:

But I'm sure you did.

16. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

I noticed this on my new 1500C. A few records I own, were quite tight on my previous TT's spindle, not on the Technics. Also a few seem kind of loose but hasn't been an issue.

Not related but I will mention it...the rubber mat that came with it is not flat and off-center. I have a different mat that I use but just for shiits and giggles I put the stock mat on once to compare and noticed the defect.

17. Oelewapper

Anyone who understands contextual language would understand that someone wouldn't mean "correlation" in utter most literal and broadest sense of the word, but that words are used specifically in a context.
    I didn't realise that it's different for you and that you mean the exact and the most literal meaning of words regardless of the context.
    No, I didn't claim there was a correlation, unless you interpret correlation in the most literal sense of the word.

In essence, it's the same as with your personal definition of collection.
    According to you, a few components assembled into a system is a collection of components, so the owner is a collector of those components (and yes, in the most literal sense that's correct), but according to normal people it isn't.
    The reason that I claimed that there isn't a correlation, is because I thought of the word correlation in its context - not in the most literal sense of the word.
    So I suppose that was a misunderstanding; if I knew that from the start, I would've agreed right away.

18. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

Nearly all records are very slightly off-centre. It has a very significant effect on wow and thence pitch accuracy and therefore 'musicality'.

For this reason I think an undersized spigot is an advantage because it enables manual centering without applying the pen-knife, within a small error range.

To centre, I put the needle to the spinning record, observe for the slightest sway of the arm and note which point on the label looks towards the stylus when the stylus is furthest from the spigot. I push that angle towards the centre and repeat. Once you can't detect any sway, it's done. A small pencil-mark on the label where it should meet or approach the spigot helps for next time.

In many cases a pen-knife is needed to pare away the edge of the record hole to achieve accurate centering, but it is worth doing because the effect on tune is equivalent to £10,000 of turntable upgrades.

MusicNBeer and Randoms like this.
  19. Randoms

Couldn't agree more with off-centred records, most of unfortunately have way more than we probably realise.

@zargoz, if you think there is a little slack with a GAE spindle, Roksan had a removable centre spigot.

20. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

Yes that was a very helpful design when dealing with this issue. It's surprising that it isn't more widely used.

There was also the Nakamichi auto-centering turntable which measured eccentricity accurately and shifted the record when necessary for optimal playback. A great design.

FalseMetal666 and Randoms like this.
  21. harby

harby Forum Resident

[​IMG]

22. Randoms

That Nakamichi CT was incredible to watch!

I too wonder why the removable spigot wasn't more widely used - though I did had to order a few spares for owners who had lost it...

23. Ingenieur

so we agree!
    A direct, obvious correlation
    :righton:

It exists, you just don't see it.

24. Oelewapper

Okay Sheldon Cooper :righton:

Ingenieur and Slick Willie like this.
  25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident