The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

It would be interesting to know when it happened....manufact., shipping???

2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Well, being a cast metal it would have to be related to the manufacture as you noted as one root cause - incorrect storage after casting where pressure was put on it while cooling, cooling too fast, etc

Or shipping / storage as you noted - excessive pressure for extended periods of time.

There really isn't much else - IMO you pretty much hit the possibilities.

But since these are supposedly balanced how would it get out the door past QC? Unless the balancing is done on random samples, and not 100% of every platter. (which is typically the case for mass produced items)

3. Slick Willie

In a video I saw they were computer checked. I assume after cooling as the top plate was mounted.
    I suppose a mishap could have occurred after the checks and before being placed in the box.

4. TheVinylAddict

If 100% of every platter is checked then it shouldn't get past QC (in theory that is!)

Having a woodshop there are a lot of tools I own with castings - there are times for poorly cast items that the bowing / warping happens over time, where it is fine when you purchase it but when you pop a straight edge on it a year later it is no longer flat.

Now, I wouldn't think that platters for a $4000 TT could have been "poorly casted" item - but anything is possible - in other words it slipped past QC because it was fine, but warped over time due to issues in the casting process.

5. Slick Willie

Interesting.

6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Except the G, or the GR for that matter, are not really mass produced according to an article shared here. They only make about 15 of the G rigs a day, which are hand built by one person on each unit. Unless they ramped up production due to demand, which even then it is hard to think they are "mass produced".

The making of: Technics SL-1000R

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Is it safe to say that this platter issue seems to be exclusively the G model? Haven’t heard or seen anything in reference to the GR. My GR is perfectly flat with no wobble.

8. TheVinylAddict

I didn't think they were, my comment was a general one and was actually meant to imply the G's weren't mass produced - just poor wording placement!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  9. TheVinylAddict

I don't think it is safe to make any assumptions...... :) without data that is.

I would hope you're right though, in fact maybe there are only a couple of G's in the world with the problem, and both users are right here! (slim chance though)

10. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

It all depends on what standard their quality control is.

On their website there is a worker holding it up and looking. Well, that is really no kind of check.

bever70 likes this.
  11. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I wonder what their tolerances are though.

Something in the cooling could be it.

12. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

No, there has been issues with GR's

13. Slick Willie

According to the website, there are other checks.
    [​IMG]

Lucca90 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  14. Slick Willie

….posted by members here. Not all grand class owners read these forums.

Andrew Littleboy likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

@Timbo21 - just curious - where did you purchase your G? Was it a demo, or maybe floor model by chance? DId you buy it used from a previous owner? If not when it arrived or when you bought it was the original box pristine with no signs of uneven pressure or poor storage?

Anything to indicate that it could have been poorly stored by one who previously owned or opened it, or stored the box, etc?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  16. TheVinylAddict

If they go through the trouble to spin / balance check, then check for run out it is probably a given that the tolerance levels allowed WOULDN'T be detectable by the large gaps we saw with your combo square in the prior pics or the platter would wobble!

Then cooling -- chances are probably good that the balance / run out check is done after cooling -- so that wouldn't be it.

But consider this - it is possible, even likely, that the platter is cast at a different location.... then shipped en masse to another place for QC check.... then maybe even shipped again or transferred en masse maybe for assembly.

Which brings up an interesting possibility -- lets say the platter is cast at Location/Plant A --- then shipped to Location B for QC / tolerance checks --- then loaded up and transferred (or even shipped) to another place Location C for assembly. Thus, getting the parts to assembly, it could have been stacked or boxed (or whatever) poorly, then left for a time in that state before picked for assembly --- then when grabbed for final assembly the warp was there due to the storage / transfer before assembly.

So in other words, many possibilities. Don't discount that not everything is always done at one location though (casting, testing, assembly) and things are transferred or shipped around!

17. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

No, all brand new. I was waiting for Technics to ship over a new batch in December 18. Box was A1.

18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The first warped platter I've seen in these tables was a video of a GR. Until now it was the only one I had seen.

19. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Considering the checks the platter goes through it is hard to believe they are shipped warped.

Would love to see what Technics determines is the cause.

20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Gotcha - haven’t seen any in this thread, they all have been about the G/GAE

21. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Have a look at p.26, post 641

22. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

my first GR had a very slight wooble...refund

I wait my second next week...i hope thats perfect...

23. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Once it's made I would find it hard to see how it would get warped further down the line. How do we know that they are all checked. They may have done the checks with the first few and then decided the manufacturing process was sound and continued without.

I'm not expecting anything particularly forthcoming from Technics. Big companies usually are often tight lipped over such things, and they may well say it's within their tolerance. That's a good get out.

bever70 likes this.
  24. sniperfox

Personally, I think that many copies are affected but that 90% of the users do not see it ... If to my second, I have the same thing, it is finished I do not buy this model anymore ... I will wait for the MK7 to see.

bever70 and Timbo21 like this.
  25. sniperfox

Technics has already replied to a user that this was part of their tolerance.

In any case, long live the withdrawal period of 15 days in the purchase.