The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I am with you in that if I caught it right away I probably would've sought an exchange through the dealer, but now it is left to the US Panasonic warranty, which applies when the "product does not work properly because of a defect in materials or workmanship..." So, does it have a "defect?" Does it "not work properly?" if the platter has a wobble of 0.28mm (assuming that's a correct measurement)? Hard to say, but my consulting expert seemed to think it was acceptable, even if it wasn't perfect.

I will also add that they went beyond what the warranty required in that they sent me a pre-paid FedEx overnight label and promptly returned the unit the same way. They also were in regular email contact and sent me a photo and measurements. It appears from the manual that there may be further recourse by writing to Panasonic's Consumer Affairs Department "if the problem is not handled to your satisfaction." I probably won't bother.

Certainly if it gets worse within the warranty period I'll have some recourse because I have a documented measurement from Panasonic. Though I can't be sure, I am speculating it will not get worse, and it's just a case of me not seeing it from the beginning. It is not discernible unless you get down to eye-level with the platter rotating.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I hear ya...neither here not there, but I suspect car rims are not perfectly round, and once you put on tires they need to be balanced by adding weights.

If I thought the tunrtable's performance was compromised I'd take it further with them. I don't feel it's worth it at this point, but I will continue to monitor and see if it gets any worse.

classicrocker and bever70 like this.
  3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It looks like the brass weight is bolted to the platter with the outboard screws (the three inner screws connect the platter to the motor). I don't think it is de-laminating.

4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

That is exactly what I was thinking, as this appears to be affecting more of the G model than the GR (based on our very small sample size here). It might be one of those things where in the production and planning process, you don't necessarily foresee occurring until the "real world" occurs with changing humidity, temperature, shipment, packing, distribution, etc. I believe the main US panasonic distributor is right here local to me in the chicagoland area (at least that is where I remember Robert Zohn telling me my GR was sent, from which it needed to be sent to NY and then shipped to my residence here in chicagoland lol), and I know this past winter and 2 we had some killer sub zero temps which obviously don't help with expanding and contracting metals.

Last point - 0.28mm seems like a lot to me, no? I mean, I get that they don't want to share what their production tolerance level is, but let's say its 1 mm - that's a lot too, yes?

bever70 likes this.
  5. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Hi Snorker,

My dealer is going to speak to the rep and get back to me. I purchased mine in December 2018, so I'm a bit far down the line to get an exchange. In the UK I think if you get a defect within 30 days you can get a new unit, but thereafter it's repair time. Additionally, you can return stuff within 14 days as part of the distance selling act no questions asked, but I'm obviously well beyond that too.

snorker likes this.
  6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Any chance you have access to a run-out gauge to measure the platter? Or do you know a machinist?

7. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

No, neither unfortunately

snorker likes this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

If this should be the case, then the solution is simple: Just don't laminate the two layers at the factory. Just have customers screw the platters together after they receive them. This would not be all that different from screwing the platters to the motor assemblies as they are already doing.

The only real downside is that it would be impossible to balance the platter as a single unit like they currently do.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yeah, but that’s a big part of the QC. It’s got to be balanced. Which is different than the planarity (flatness).

10. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

If this is the case, it would also potentially affect the SL-1000R.

11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

(Our avatars are funny today, is it just me?)

12. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Giving me nasty neck strain :)

punkmusick likes this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

True. But the top and bottom platters could be balanced independently so that the system as a whole is always balanced properly. However, this would probably increase the cost...

14. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Based on experience with our own products I am speculating Panasonic would not want to let the customer try to put the platter pieces together separately if it has any impact on performance.

It is also related to the out of box experience. The general thinking is to make it as simple as possible for the consumer to install the product.

snorker likes this.
  15. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

I find on youtube a another recent wrapped platter for GR....3 days ago

bluemooze likes this.
  16. classicrocker

Hard to believe that us within spec. Maybe these YouTube videos will het Panasonic attention to do something about it. The again Audio Technics seems to have a similar complaint in reviews I have read and still sell a lot of less expensive clones.

Unless this issue starts impacting sales Panasonic may quietly try to make a running change in Mfg. or do nothing about it.

17. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

I'm going to get my new GR at the store after noon. I'll give you some news tonight or tomorrow ...

18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Just curious --- Where did you find that (what site / link?)

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

As a multiple technics turntable owner: That is REALLY BAD. Never seen a Technics with that much wobble. Even in a cheap technics! Lol! Awful! It could be the platter. Could be the spindle or entire mount!

20. TheVinylAddict

Read back the last few pages --- it apparently has been isolated to the platter by a few folks --- this one could be different but not sure (and why I asked for a link).

And yes Virginia, IT IS awful..... it has me balking at my desire to try a G and GR, and most know what a big Technics fan I am and own a few older 1200's.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So now there are two people with platter issues... but what about the thousands that Technics has sold that are perfect?

22. TheVinylAddict

Yeah, 2 out of the 15 or so owners here on the board is not so good :) thanks for putting that in perspective!

Neither of us really know the true size of the problem but this board represents a small sample size and between G's and GR's -- plus I thought there were 4 or 5 issues. That's why I am waiting to see how this plays out --- and to me it is not about the numbers it is more about what Panasonic is doing in the worst cases to make it right. That is the unknown at this point and what I will be paying attention to moving forward.

IMHO for $4K we shouldn't even be talking about it or watching vids of wobbly platters --- and if it does come up, that the message is clear that Panasonic will swiftly make it right.

bever70 likes this.
  23. classicrocker

Some here are assuming that Panasonic is going to address this issue just because a few owners have complained about it on a forum or posted a youtube video.

Unless this is a systemic issue where the platter wobble is out of spec, that effects sales and product ratings on sites like Amazon or third part resellers like Guitar Center, I would be surprised if this issue is addressed or if it is we will never know when it happens.

Don't get me wrong, Panasonic and other consumer audio companies have people mining forums for feedback, but a handful of people complaining about this on forums is not going to push Panasonic to change their specs but lost sales and/or bad ratings will catch their attention.

TarnishedEars and recstar24 like this.
  24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well my frame of reference on how they'll handle: I had a droopy dust cover lid. Just took a couple of emails and Technics mailed me out a brand new replacement, and a label to send my old one back. Easy Peasy. I can't imagine it will be much more difficult for a bum platter swap out.

25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Well, in fairness the platter for a G/GAE is a much more expensive part. The platter is $1,418.95 vs. $167.95 for the lid. And your lid was demonstrably defective.

That said, I am satisfied that Panasonic paid for overnight shipping to test my turntable and ran it in their lab, providing me their measurements. They said it was within spec, and if that's the case then the warranty is not implicated. Though I did not interdependently corroborate their measurements, I now have a benchmark so if it gets worse within the warranty period I will be able to address it with them again. From my experience, the platter deviation as it stands now does not impact the sound quality.

Overall, I would still rate the customer service experience as positive, even though I didn't get a brand new 'table or $1,400 platter from them. I still think it was worth the price I paid, but again I already own the 'table. If one is considering a G or GR and thinks Panasonic's allowable tolerances are too great, then vote with your wallet and buy another brand.

recstar24 and Slick Willie like this.