The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

That's the 'Mr. T' model lol.

T86911 likes this.
  3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

dcarwin, ubiknik and nomad709 like this.
  4. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Don't tell me the GAE-K is made in Japan... lol!

Joel S likes this.
  5. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

So I did some more troubleshooting again this morning and plugged in the 1200G to the 9090DB, which is in a different location in the house. No radio stations picked up. Same cables, same cartridge and nothing. I turned it up all the way and didn’t hear a whisper of a radio broadcast.

So, I’m really confused here. In my downstairs setup where I’ve been picking up the broadcast, I tried multiple amps, multiple preamps, multiple turntables, and multiple outlets and it was still there. Really at a loss here, especially when my old 1200 I had set up never had a problem like this. Maybe it is something in the outlet in my basement, but why wouldn’t it happen with my guitar amps and other 1200?

The only other thing I can think of is that my RCA cables between the 1200G and preamp may be picking up the radio signal. I have a couple new sets on the way today that are double shielded and specially call out RFI protection in their description. So, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it helps.

6. JP

JP Forum Resident

And no increase in noise when touching the headshell or arm? Is PE on the basement outlet open?

7. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Would a noise sniffer help here?

8. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

You will want to test again this evening, when clear channel stations increase power.

9. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Nope, nothing. Only noise was the amplified noise of me touching the headshell.

What is PE?

10. Ingenieur

earth ground

or Professional Engineer lol

did you try lifting the TT ground wire?

11. Protective earth/ground.
    Picking up noise from touching the headshell points towards a missing ground somewhere.

patient_ot and Ingenieur like this.
  12. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Haven't tried that. Got my new RCA cables so ill see if they do anything for this...

13. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Just hooked it up with the new cables. Still there. Frustrated to say the least.

14. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Not sure if you already mentioned this, but are you sure the outlet you’re using when you get the radio signals is fully grounded?

15. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I'm assuming it is based on never hearing it before I hooked up the 1200G. But that is possible. I turned the 1200G off and the radio signal is still coming through. But, the only thing changed in this set up from last week when I had the older 1200 hooked up and this week is the 1200G.

16. Livewax

Livewax Well-Known Member

When you tried elsewhere, did you use a different wall socket? Do you have an extension, if so use the socket where there was no radio interference. I would want to rule in, rule out socket or location

17. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Unfortunately I don’t have an extension cord long enough to reach that outlet. I tried multiple outlets in the basement with the same results. I plugged in an outlet tester and it says it’s wired correctly, so based on that there shouldn’t be an open ground in the outlet.

It has to be the turntable. I just don’t know why this turntable in this location is catching a radio signal when it doesn’t do it upstairs or any other turntable catches it in the basement. It’s really weird.

18. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I think the only option I have now is to just take it somehwere and get it checked out. If there's nothing wrong with it then I guess I have to figure out a different spot it...

19. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I look at it this way: you have the headshell with cartridge detached, and still hear it. Correct?
    What is left? Direct wires inside the arm to the output terminals. Now-disconnect the outgoing RCA cables from these TT terminals, is the FM **** gone? I assume-yes.
    Check carefully with a meter each of four wires inside the arm. Something is there. Maybe one of them is touching the ground?

Slick Willie likes this.
  20. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Well, it's a common problem, usually it's just a matter of reorienting the cables or preamp, or going to different cables. Sometimes you can change the preamp grounding, some people have resolved it by adding a braided ground wire from the preamp chassis to the power outlet ground. There isn't one solution for all situations. As someone else mentioned, you can try different ground connections from the turntable to preamp, even removing the separate wire on the back if picking up a ground through the power cable. If the preamp uses a 3-prong cable, maybe try lifting that ground.

21. Ingenieur

did you try removing the TT to preamp ground lead?

if possible try reversing the plugs if not 3 prong or polarized
    Turn everything off and do one at a time
    If no change put it back
    And repeat for another

I see your gear is older (but hi quality)

ubiknik likes this.
  22. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

Not sure if the G has the little nuts on the hinges along with the screws but on my GR, there's both. What I found is to push or tighten the screw about 90% tight, then tighten the nut as much as possible on to the screw, and then tighten the screw as much as possible without using too much force.

23. JP

JP Forum Resident

If the grounds are right that should never happen. Anything change if the 'table isn't plugged in to the wall?

ubiknik likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I have some headshells and Concorde cartridges that hum when touched, but some don’t.
    So the turntable isn’t necessarily the cause of that hum.

25. JP

JP Forum Resident

Shouldn’t. May be a design problem.