The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yeah, I tried removing the ground lead and still happens plus a nice ground hum. Maybe I'll try reversing the preamp plug since its just a two prong cord. Same with the 2105, two prong cord, maybe that has something to do with it? I just hate turing this old stuff off and on a bunch...

2. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

The noise I'm referring to is just amplifying the tapping of the headshell, which is normal if you tap on a headshell. At least in my experience it is.

3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yes that was my thought as well.
    Especially the Concorde Century hums audibly when touched.
    I think it has something to do with its chrome metal paint.

4. JP

JP Forum Resident

Okay tapping. I read touching.

Oelewapper likes this.
  5. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Did some more experimenting with different outlets and headshell on or off. It did it consistently on every outlet I plugged it into. My extension cord actually ended up reaching the upstairs outlet that I had it plugged into this morning, and still picked up the radio broadcast.

The only time it didn't do it was with the headshell off with the 1200g plugged into the outlet across the room in the basement. But, there was some weird crackling and popping noises when I turned up the preamp to pretty high levels. Also, turning the lights off created a pop noise in the speakers when plugged into that outlet.

So, I'm not sure my house just has weird wiring creating the issue, the physical location of the turntable, or the 1200g has some weird grounding thing with either the preamp or headshell/cartridge. I really don't think its any of the preamps or amps i plugged it into either.. Based on never experiencing this before I'm thinking its the TT/cart/headshell, its the only new piece I introduced into the rig. Guess I'll spend the $150 bench fee and maybe they'll find something to fix.

6. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Did you try it with the old head-shell & cart?
    Or don't you have them?

Did you verify the cart wiring is correct?
    No out of polarity or mixed channels?

when you touch the tonearm does it change?
    How about tone arm and TT base same time?

7. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yep, tried the old cart and still does the radio thing. And, I did inspect the wiring and looked right but they are teeny tiny wires, and there is a lot of slack so they're hard to trace but they look like they're going to the right place.

The unit got shipped from the West coast all the way to Maryland. I was a little worried about it surviving that trek, but I have a feeling something shook loose inside of it during that week long journey. I'm just hoping its not a bad motor or something more significant causing the issue.

8. JP

JP Forum Resident

It’s not.

9. Ingenieur

take a pic of the back of the cartridge and the head shell if you can

is the little rubber gasket in place?

Thanks

10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is the 1200GAE-K a Japan only model or international?
    I don't understand where it falls precisely, since there was already a black version of GAE, marked 1210. What's the difference other than the gold tonearm?
    Great match to Accuphase, only the strobe needs to be red, not blue.
    Interesting that they went for a made per order run, something I've seen with Japanese papersleeve cd's.
    Looks like this one could be MIJ, "especially for you". Talk about re-sale value...

11. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

How do I post couple pics of the headshell and cart? I’m not in love with the connection to the arm. When you tighten the connection it goes a tiny bit past in the counterclockwise direction and you have to turn back clockwise to level the headshell. And when you break the connection the headshell kind of pops out of the slot.

Another wrinkle to through in is that I hooked the 1200G up to the MAC4100 and no radio broadcast came through. Same wire same outlet same everything as the other set up (minus the pre and amp). I tried to hook up the 4100 as a preamp but could not get signal through it. Not sure if I hooked it up right. Fearing blowing something up I abandoned it.

So I am two for two when it comes to receivers and 0-4 with preamps and amps. I’m assuming it’s possible there is some weird grounding issue, but a grounding issue that is unique to the preamp and amp set up? I keep coming back to there being no issues with either of my old 1200s when hooked up to this or the other preamp and amp combo.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  12. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Do you know that's the reason or you're just guessing? I thought it was due to Covid lockdowns or something, but I'm just guessing.

13. Ingenieur

go here Postimages — free image hosting / image upload
    Choose images and upload
    Tap the second icon (direct link) to copy link

in your thread
    Tap picture/image icon
    Paste link
    Insert
    Done

how many pins on the 4100 power plug?
    It has a good phono section
    Also a tuner, it may be shielded much better

dumb question: you are in the right input MM or MC

the c20
    Has 2 MM inputs
    Did you try both?

If it works in the receiver likely not the TT

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I'll pm and email them. Thats probably easier that way.

4100 has 2 prong plug. I've been using the c24 and c28, both have two phono inputs and radio coming through both. I actually haven't tried the c20.

What could be going on with the preamp and amp set up that would cause the issue?

15. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Maybe already been answered, but does the old Technics alignment gauge also work for the new models?

recstar24 likes this.
  16. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Yes!

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  17. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Awesome, good to know. Thanks

18. DMM714

DMM714 Forum Resident

Does anyone know how to change the cueing height on a 1210gae? The manual shows that you turn this screw to adjust height. It’s set in a haxagon cutout on the cueing platform. I’ve tried turning the screw but it doesn’t turn easily. What am I missing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

ubiknik likes this.
  20. DMM714

DMM714 Forum Resident

Thanks! I tried that before with cue up. It works in cue down position.

21. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I like to have an automatic lifter on TT, so I had to make one. It was a challenge because Technics is quite compact, and it's hard to find a real estate without disturbing anything.
    But it's done. A little video here if you like to see.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Big Blue, Dignan2000, beowulf and 8 others like this.
  22. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Very cool!

formu_la likes this.
  23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Ingenious!
    It looks like the silicone damper is also installed.
    You should make a parts list with instructions, or put together a kit -I'd buy it!

24. Ingenieur

nice
    It is great that it actually acts upon the cue lever

Big Blue and formu_la like this.
  25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Thanks. Yes, I actually piggyback the damper to attach the sensor. I can give my schematics and links to parts I used. More difficult is the mechanical part, as I didn’t make any drawings, and it's mostly built out of scrap I had found around my house. Room for creativity here.
    Anyway, if someone wants help, contact me. I will share the info.

Big Blue, ubiknik and Slimwhit33 like this.