The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Try a different set of RCA cables. If the cable ground is not touching, this loud hum will occur.

2. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

There's a lot of humming when I move the ground wire and mess about with it, but that's through both channels.

I've removed the headshell and switched on - and the humming has gone. (Well, there's still humming but it's not noticeable until I get to 70 (on a scale of 1 to 100) and it's a more "pleasant" hum from both speakers.

I've put my Jelco headshell in (with no cart installed) and get the same results as with no headshell.

Now, I'm assuming I didn't break something in my cart while swapping over - and I'm sure I didn't.

So, it seems the problem is in my Technics headshell or the skinny little wires.

I'm not really sure how to test which of those it is, because I can't see how I could remove the wires from the pins on the headshell and get them back on - there's just no space to play with there.

What a bummer.

3. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Try a different RCA interconnect between turntable & phono input to eliminate the possibility that there is a broken return wire on one of the plugs.

4. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member Thread Starter

I owned a GR for a week before deciding to go for the G instead, and I had the same problem. Managed to ‘solve’ it by gently adjusting the arm’s headshell collar tightness. I never did find out why it was so sensitive. Might be worth fiddling about with the tightness of the collar and try moving the headshell a little (the headshell mounting slot allows a slight bit of rotation before tightening) to see if the hum level reduces.

Best of luck.

5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Strange...I can’t even get hum on mine when I completely disconnect the ground wire. I hope you can figure it out.

wgb113 likes this.
  6. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

OK you are onto something here. I checked quickly before I left for work this morning. The connection between the headshell and the arm is the problem.

I tried loosening the collar, and the humming goes - but then the headshell is a bit wobbly.

When tightened, you can in fact rotate the headshell a smidgen, and the humming then goes, but it springs back.

I think the next thing is to install the cart in my old headshell from my Jelco and see if that fixes it.

I’m not sure where that leaves me though. Get a replacement headshell from the retailer or return the whole thing...(I bought it online so that's a faff)

And by the way, another little thing. When spinning at 33rpm, I put my ear to the platter, and it’s dead silent. But on 44, and moreso on 78, there’s a kind of very slight ‘roaring’ sound. Kind of like rushing wind. Does anyone else here that?

7. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Man that stinks but consideting the cost of the 1200 G I would ask the dealer for an exchange before it is too late. You should not have to deal with any issues at that price point. Just my 2cents

8. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I tried a Ortofon SH-4 headshell with my 1200GR and didn't like the extra height and lack of adjustability. I've also tried a MooMat and, while I liked the looks, it just didn't sound any different than the stock rubber mat.

I bought my GR a year ago today (Happy Birthday!) and it's been an absolute treat. Like many here, I previously loved the simplicity of the slab/minimalist style "audiophile" turntables but the flexibility and ease of setup has me over ever wanting to go back. I love being able to quickly and easily swap in mono cart on a per-record basis and the sound is top notch.

classicrocker likes this.
  9. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

This is odd, you bought a brand new, sealed 1200g? The ground lead is properly attached to the Technics as well as your amp? Routing the phonos and grounding wire is complicated and Technics advise you plug all cables in first before the rest of turntable set up. Including power lead.

It does sound to me like the little connecting wires on the headshell could be causing this issue. Have you brushed the contacts points of the headshell that go into the arm tube? The headshell should just tighten on without having to be loose to avoid the problem you’re having.

10. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Sounds like there's multiple things wrong. I'd send it back to the vendor and request a replacement. No brand new product should have issues.

11. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Seconded.

12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

This is what warranty is for. Maybe it's defective, maybe it was damaged during shipment. This things sometimes happen with quality products. In any case, you should be protected.

displayname likes this.
  13. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Thanks. The retailer has been very good - they're sending a replacement to me. My worry is that the one they are sending is the next one off the production line and may exhibit the same problem.

But my immediate concern is how on earth do I get this thing packed up inside the box again !

punkmusick likes this.
  14. Halloween_Jack

Google unboxing sl1200g and look at the videos on youtube. Plenty of them there fortunately.

Hope your replacement is perfect.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Aftermath and displayname like this.
  15. Halloween_Jack

Note for anybody attaching an SME tonearm to the SL1200G, fit the tonearm cable to the arm BEFORE refitting and screwing in the rubber base! There’s NO room at all to connect or disconnect the arm cable once fitted, and you can only fit a right-angled connector too, which I’m a little disappointed about, to say the least. Why does nobody mention this in the arm fitting instructions?!.....

At this rate I may end up refitting the original arm.

displayname likes this.
  16. Erocka2000

Interesting. I did use a right angle (Jelco orientation specific) tonearm cable on mine, but fitted it after the tonearm swap was complete, with no issues. I assume it's the SME geometry that makes it hard to do?

17. Halloween_Jack

I’ll post some photos shortly. Even with a right angle connector, the cable is still pressed against the side of the rubber base cutout area. I prefer the cable not to touch anything in that area. In my humble opinion, I don’t think the SME 309 is suitable for this deck unless the arm cutout in the rubber base is widened, something I’m not prepared to do to a new deck. The original arm is going to be refitted again.

18. Erocka2000

Ah, I just looked at a photo of the 309 and I didn't realize the connector on the 309 itself is already at a right angle. The Jelco is just straight down. I can see where the SME would cause an issue. That stinks.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  19. Halloween_Jack

Yeah that's the problem. Rather p*ssed off to say the least after all the effort it takes to unscrew the bases, spending £150 on the arm base etc. Fortunately I already owned the SME 309 so no money wasted there. But I'm not happy with this arrangement at all, so the original arm will be refitted. This tight fight & inability to plug/unplug cables using an SME arm should be mentioned by the armbase seller(s)!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  20. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I should say, despite the fact mine is being replaced (!) the perceived value of the 1200G is very high.

I see it is often referred to as a "machine", and indeed, that does seem to be the appropriate word for it. It has the look and feel of something that has been "engineered" rather than, as is too often the case in hifi in my opinion, something that's been put together on someone's kitchen table.

SamS and Halloween_Jack like this.
  21. Erocka2000

Really sorry to hear that. Totally understand the frustration.

ranch 22b and Halloween_Jack like this.
  22. Halloween_Jack

I’m relieved in one sense as to be honest I had no reservations at all about the performance of the stock arm, but as I had the 309 I (of course) just had to go and try it.

23. Erocka2000

I wonder what the logic behind SME have the angled connectors is. Seems like a vertical connector would make it much more versatile.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  24. Halloween_Jack

I agree. I guess it’s not a problem on 95% of the decks they’re used on.

Really not pleased about this at all, but c’est la vie. Live and learn.

At least I’ll be able to pocket some extra cash by selling on the 309.

McLover and displayname like this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Style is awesome, but for me functionality is much more important. The people who usually buy separate arms and can afford them will likely buy the SP-10R. As they can also mount 10" and 12" tonearms of their choice and have multiple tonearms if they desire. On the plinth they desire. For me, the SL-1200 G does what I need, the stock arm does what I need and it's the cheapest new turntable which is totally satisfactory for all my requirements for a main turntable.