The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I bet that it does! I'm really impressed at how good the AT33PTG/II sounds on my GR. I can't help but wonder how much better the Art9 must sound.

I'm also tempted to try the damper. But I'm probably not going to go that direction because installing one of those conflicts with the ease of setup which I really like about this table.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    snorker and 5-String like this.
  2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You should seriously consider putting the AT33PTG/II on your GR. It's a truly fantastic combo.

Kenton and McLover like this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I already decided on the Nagaoka MP-200 for the GR, it’s (finally) arriving today.

displayname likes this.
  4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It doesn't really interfere with setup...I swap cartridges with some regularity. The only issue is it makes it hard to see the number markings on the VTA dial.

5. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

I'm glad you had a good experience with Zohn. I had an issue with a GAE purchased from his shop and got no support from either him or Technics. I would not buy a headshell from Value Electronics. YMMV...

6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

So, to follow-up on this, I got my own runout gauge–albeit a cheap one–and measured the platter myself. If I measure half way or so between the edge and the spindle it’s about .004” maximum deviation. So nearly perfect.

7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

At the edge, where it looks less even, it actually maxes out at about .013”. Still not bad, and within what KAB claims as the acceptable limit. I think the very edge is not quite as important to playback, and the platters seem to be cast such that the center is a bit raised (as evidenced by a photo someone else posted where a straight edge is used).

8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

However, here’s what happens when you put on the mat (this is a MK2 mat, so 6mm rather than 3mm that comes with the new turntables). Measures a maximum deviation of only .006” at the edge. So the mat seems to sufficiently smooth out any imperfections anyway.

9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Doesn't it scratch the surface?:wtf:

Aftermath likes this.
  10. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It has a little ball end, but I should’ve put a little electrical tape over it or something. It did leave a mark, but I was able to buff it off for the most part.

I make mistakes so the community can learn from them. :laugh:

11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

@snorker I have to applaud you and give you much respect for taking the time to record and provide some pretty hardcore empirical evidence. Props my friend.

12. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Haven't checked into the thread in a while - I thought you sent your platter into Panasonic and they measured a 0.28m runout? So their measurements were wrong? What prompted you to double check their results - I recall a couple pages back you said you were content and moving forward?

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

His measurements above are in inches - convert to MM and he’s confirmed it’s measured somewhat within range.

14. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I am not sure how many people have tried it but on my 1200G, I have the manual torque set to about half way and it sounds unbelievable. Many virtues of belt drive in a good way in a direct drive. This is one of the best turntables out there, no doubt about it.

displayname and The Dragon like this.
  15. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

nu

Interesting. Do you feel you lost any precision of instrument placement/detail in the presentation?

16. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

actually, it seems as though the soundstage is larger than before. instrument placement is also better.

17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Interesting, I may have to play around with it.

18. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I think it will make you happy! No going back for me. More attack, decay, bigger stage, all the good stuff.

19. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I honestly think Fremer is wrong regarding the torque. He obviously did not work with it long enough. Once you dial the torque in. you start to realize just how good that arm is. Its an amazing feature as you can really dial it in on the 1200G. Its a big deal. It all about the torque! Its almost as if your table starts to sound like a much more expensive table. Very smooth like belt drive with the power and finesse of DD.

punkmusick likes this.
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What approx. value would that be in the torque range?

21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

And would lowering the torque more would make it sound even better?

22. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I have it set a little shy of half way. 47% I would say. Not even the SP10R allows you to dial it in to your liking like the 1200g. It is more like the 1200GR with five choices instead of three. I think it gives the 1200G an advantage in some ways.

To my ears, its sounds a lot better. No going back for me

23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

The torque is spec'ed at 3.3 kg-cm. Is that with the knob in the H position? And what is the torque when in L position?

24. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Not sure. I have it set set between 11 and 12 o'clock. Its variable so you can really suit to taste so to speak.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν