The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Yeah, I noticed that too. The effective mass of the 1200GR tonearm is about 12g(?) and the 2M Black is not exactly low compliance so I wouldn't have thought you'd need a heavier headshell either although I'm sure Herr Schroeder knows more about this than I do for sure!

C.Ludwig likes this.
  2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am also using the Zupreme with a 2M Black and I like its sound more than how the 2M Black sounded with the stock headshell.

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

While I prefer the lighter stock shell, I can def understand why you would prefer otherwise.

5-String likes this.
  4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

It’s 12 grams effective tonearm mass with stock headshell included.

6. Ingenieur

Good catch
    Adding the head shell wt. difference to the cartridge did not change it much?

[​IMG]

7. Ingenieur

This is for mine, added the delta between oem and AT head shells to the cartridge weight.
    I guess it's ok? Sounds good. Perhaps that peak is not the resonant frequency?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Resonance calculator
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    C.Ludwig likes this.
  8. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I believe it increases the res freq with about 2Hz.
    Not much indeed, but relatively it is significant (about 20% of 10Hz for example).

9. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

What’s the resonance peak?

10. C.Ludwig

I just mounted a Shure V15 type III/JICO SAS/B to my SL-1210 GR using stock Technics Headshell. The cart is fitted with a light 2mm spacer and 19mm length plastic screws. My resonance peak is around 6 to 7 Hz. Cart still sounds spectacular on all of my favorite LPs so far. This however does not relate to the chart you presented, I am assuming I do not know how to read the chart.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  11. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I need to move my fully setup GAE to another house by car about 70 miles over mediocre roads. I do not fancy taking it all apart and packing it in the original box, but I do not want to risk any damage.

In any case I will remove the platter, but my 4Runner has ample flat area when the rear seats are folded, so I am planning to put the turntable (without platter) on top of a few layers of cushioning blankets and driving it over like that. Safe? Unsafe? Do I need to bite the bullet and pack it in the box?

12. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Also remove counterweight and tape or use twist tie around tonearm to secure it to holder. Remove and safely store headshell and cartridge.

oregonalex likes this.
  13. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

I transported a turntable (not a Technics) 130 miles in a similar fashion- only removing the platter to protect the bearing and securing everything else. The route was on major highways though. No problems. Reason I didn't break it down and box it up is because I was taking it to a dealer for a trade-in and immediate test audition was required. 90 seconds of "Sultans of Swing" and they were satisfied :p

oregonalex likes this.
  14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I don't measure. I just listen.

15. intoaudio

intoaudio Active Member

Thank you for the extensive reply. I appreciate it.

I have had MC carts before and like them a lot: Goldring Elite, Goldring Eroica H, Denon DL103r; open to buying an MC again. I've been a fan in the past of Audio-Technica cartridges and the AT33PTGii has been on my radar; I am also looking at the Shibata version of that cart. I read in another forum that a poster said the AT33PTGii worked well with the SL1200GR. The VM750SH is also under consideration.

Nice kit you have: that Kenwood TT looks great. I'm also a big fan of Yamaha. How do you like your AS-1100?

Another question I have is a follow-up to something else you posted in this thread, talking about an alignment jig being tough to get spot on. (Did you get the one for Technics turntables?) Any suggestions? I am finding it difficult to dial in my Goldring E3: does the stylus go directly at the tip of the end, or do you allow for some cantilever deflection during play? Not quite sure I'm exactly at 52mm; my VTA is spot on and the azimuth is as close as I can get it. This vinyl thing sure needs a dose of patience!

16. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

You're obviously no TT/cart noobie so I'm sure you'll end up with a great one. The Audio-Technica AT33 series is great and I'm sure you'd be happy with either the PTG/ii or the SA. I'd bet the VM750SH is also a corker given how good the VM540ML is.

The Yamaha A-S1100 is a fantastic, solidly built and weighty amplifier and the in-built phono stage is also really good albeit not adjustable in any way as is usually the case with in-built stages. I managed to get it for what was a good price at the time (about £1200GBP IIRC) but the successor A-S1200 seems to be a bit more expensive at about £2kGBP although it seems we live in times when just about everything seems to be shooting up in price :eek:

In the past I've just used the generic (probably Baerwald) alignment protractors (the mirrored one and the one on the back of a plastic speed strobe disc) but recently shelled out for the Dr Feickert alignment tool because I now have two turntables and multiple carts and wanted to be sure I was setting things up dead-on. In theory it makes life a lot easier as you can set both overhang and zenith (the generic cheap/freebie ones are really just for zenith) but because of the outlay and the desire to do it so spot-on, I'm now there with a maglite and a 10x magnifying loupe meaning I'm spending just as much time, if not more getting it fractions-of-a-millimetre perfect :laugh:

Ingenieur likes this.
  17. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

Frank Schroeder set up the Zu/DL-103 on Darko's Planar 2. In the latest video he says that 2M Black was done by "his dealer" and I interpret that as just someone at a Hi-fi shop.

18. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Ah I see. In which case I stand corrected :)

Dischord likes this.
  19. Dischord

I just wanted to put it out there, it was not ment as a critic.

20. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

No, sure I realised that. It was a while since I saw remember Darko's videos specifically about those carts being fitted so thanks for reminding me :)

21. C.Ludwig

So does this mean the Zupreme headshell might be a bad idea?

22. Dischord

Considering the 2M Black's compliance I had personally used a lighter headshell on the Technics arm.

C.Ludwig and Slick Willie like this.
  23. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Just a heads up to anyone interested.. it appears that HiFi Heaven has 1200GR's in stock. I placed an order yesterday.. I'll believe it when it ships but here's to hoping.

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Damn it why are you forcing me to give them a call and inquire lol

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  25. C.Ludwig

I used the calculator just now, plugging in 9.1 grams for tonearm. 11 grams for headshell, 7.6 grams for cart, and 25.6 for compliance. I get a resonance peak at about 4.8 does this sound right for an AT-OC9XML, 11 gram headshell, and Technics SL-1210GR?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021