The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Not doubting, just conflicted.
    I'll use 10.5, lol
    It really doesn't matter as long as it sounds good,

As far as third party tester, I understand, but after reading up on the guy, he builds the equipment and does tests for large manufacturers.

I sent them an email.
    We'll see if they respond.

2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

OK hang on... wait... time out. :)

I've been busy the last few months and not keeping up on things like this -- does this mean once and for all, unequivocally that the GR has a 12G EM tonearm, of course including the stock 8g or so Technics headshell??? Am I hearing this correctly, and everyone buys into that now?

Just trying to understand, pure ignorance on my part by asking.

3. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Yes I know clamps have been spoken about here, but this is fairly specific...

I've just got a collection with some incredible records, a lot of which have edge warps. I want to play them on my gr with my shure v15 (iii) and am thinking about perhaps a periphery ring/ring type clamp.
    Anyone have advice for me? To be honest I won't be using this for all my records, just warped discs.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

No and no. Some think it is the 8-9g mentioned in the PM lab report, that with the stock 7.6g headshell. 12g just seems more reasonable to me, but use whichever number you think is best :)

C.Ludwig and TheVinylAddict like this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

<banging my head....>

6. TheVinylAddict

Any more certainty on the 1200G??? :)

(which btw I have playing right now on some 70's jazz pressings, with an AT-150MLx ---> Accuphase C-27 ---> Accuphase C-2410 ---> Yamaha NS-2000, and damn, if it's possible to pull more accurate repro out of the grooves, I've yet to hear it).

I still think the G is a 12G EM TT after over a year now playing many carts, headshells, etc. :)

7. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

I don't know, we talked about it again just a few posts above, Technics said that the G is 12g. There was no reference to effective mass in the HiFi News review of the GAE.

C.Ludwig likes this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

GAE is the same, no question in my mind.

I've been saying 12G since Day freakin one... :)

9. TheVinylAddict

BTW, sorry, haven't kept up on all 403 pages of posts :)

Thanks for the updates... let the saga continue.

10. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

I now get 6.559 from 23 grams tonearm/cart using AT Headshell and compliance at 16 x 1.6 with premise that stock tonearm/headshell is indeed 12 grams.

11. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Curious to ask - Nagaoka users, what do you have the tonearm height set at?

Thanks!

12. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

My MP-200 sounded good at 1 with am Oyaide BR-12 mat.

That said, they are mostly ellipticals, so SRA/VTA is less critical.

haz2000 likes this.
  13. JamsOnly

JamsOnly Senior Member

Running my MP-300 on a Nagaoka headshell with a TazStudio cork mat and have it set at .5 which is sounding very good to me these days.

haz2000 likes this.
  14. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I see there is a lot of huge expert in sound here so i need some advice for the subject below (i'll try to explain in good english as good as i can).

If you duplicate the left and right wire of my SL1200, will the signal be lower in quality (by ear not with an measure instrument) ?

My SL is plug to a préamp McIntosh C220
    My CD player Yamaha CD S2000 is plug to the C220
    The C220 is plug to a Mc275 McIntosh

I purchase a DJ mixer ECLER NUO 2.0 to mix sometimes the two source.

BUT and that's my subject, i don't want to unplug my SL to the C220 because of the qualité of that system (and the price for sure).
    I want to both play one time with the DJ mixer and, when i want to listen better sound, play with my McIntosh.

For My Yamaha is not a problem because i can plug RCA out to the DJ Mixer and the XLR still plug to the McIntosh.

But for the SL, I need to double the link with for example that :
    Audioquest FLX-X Splitter RCA femelle vers 2 RCA mâle
    [​IMG]

I need to do the same with my Subwoofer Bower & Wilkins PV1D
    Plug both to the other main output of the C220 and the RCA Master of the DJ mixer.

I can plug the Mc275 in the DJ mixer with RCA in and still plug XLR in the C220 :
    Front view of Mc275:
    [​IMG]

Rear view of C220 :
    [​IMG]

I hope i will be clear enough to have your help.

Many thanks in advance.

15. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Do not use splitters

Plug SL into C220

Plug CD onto C220

If the DJ has line level inputs (not phono level)
    Use C220 Output 1 to feed DJ
    You can turn it on and off with the front switch (or remote$

???

16. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

In that way i can't mix the CD player and the SL...

17. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident

I don't think so. I measured with one of the best test records available way back when I got my G and was quite confused since the measured resonance frequency with my Colibri XGW didn't match the calculated 12 gram EM results.

Through actual measured resonance I figured it was roughly around 10,5-11g EM tonearm on the G, the 0,5g range error was due to resonance freq peak wasn't that sharp to pinpoint the range better. This also maybe due to better damping of the arm material - no sharp resonance peak. But the point was it was clearly less than the assumed 12g everybody brag about. The G arm is different.

Which in a way would make sense later to me since it's exactly the same shape and size as the GR arm, better bearings but a lighter metal used in cold-cast magnesium, hence a lighter design. All in all it's a better arm on G(AE) than GR or any MKx arms.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  18. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Your description is very vague.
    Try drawing a block diagram or schematic of how you want your stuff connected.
    Splitters are a bad idea, especially when dealing with phono signals.

19. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

I will try to draw but in fact i want to have possibility to mix my CD player with my SL but i want to keep using my C220 for input the SL .
    I can plug the MC 275 on the DJ mixer and plug the SL and the CD player on it no problem.
    But the sound of the SL is better trough the C220 tube.
    So my idea was that :
    Plug the MC275 with XLR (balanced) on the C220
    Plug the Mc275 with RCA (unbalanced) on the DJ mixer (i can switch with a interupteur between the 2 inputs)
    Plug the CD player with XLR on the C220
    Plug the CD player with RCA on the DJ mixer
    Plug the SL on the C220
    How plug it on the DJmixer

In that case, if i want to use the C220, the DJmixer would be offline and i will enjoy the sound of the C220 tube.
    If i want to mix my SL with the CD player (for a party for example), the C220 would be offline safety and sound quality not that important.

[​IMG]

20. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Thanks!

What are the determining factors for arm height? Do you go by ear or with some kind of gauge?

Thanks again!

21. JamsOnly

JamsOnly Senior Member

Both for me, but started with a Tonearm elevation block and VTA azimuth ruler.

haz2000 likes this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have used a Nagaoka MP-150 with the 1200G and it sounded great to me with the VTA dial on at 0.5. Stock mat.

haz2000 and JamsOnly like this.
  23. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

So basically you want to use the mixer as a substitute for your C220 preamp or vice versa when switching between 2 and 3?
    I would get a separate phono preamp to turn it into line level first, then do the switching between input devices (C220 and mixer) using something like a passive monitor controller.
    If you want good sound, your phono cable should be short, low capacitance and well shielded.
    None of that splitter crap, which can also cause cartridge loading issues when the ratios of the output/input impedances don't add up correctly (basically a voltage divider turning two 47k inputs in parallel into 23.5k; isolation transformers could probably be used, but that would become a massive bodgejob).

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Since we are on the topic of carts people and using and their VTA settings, any Lyra Delos (or similar users) out there?

I used a caliper to measure height from bottom of stylus to top of cart, and I believe I came up with 18mm. Manual says to use 1, but didn't quite pass the lined notecard/visually line up with tonearm test. I believe I brought it to 0.5mm and it looks (and sounds) great.

JamsOnly and C.Ludwig like this.
  25. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

I can set it on 1 or 4 and it always passes the line up test. I have a VTA gauge. I'm using a 5mm Oyaide mat. I must be doing something wrong!