The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Sbcrue

Sbcrue Well-Known Member

Audio Advice does not have the 1200GR or the 1200G in stock. They, like every other retailer, are on Backorder status. I realize their website claims it will ship within 2 days but that is not reality.
    I purchased some JBL L82's from them earlier this year. They were easy and accommodating to work with, for what it's worth.

Ingenieur and Slimwhit33 like this.
  2. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Just to clarify: didn't mean thicker than 6mm, but thicker than other dj mats that are very thin, like a cloth.

3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

lol
    It says on backorder now.

4. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I don't have any inside knowledge, and it's just a hunch, but I have thought for a while now that Technics isn't going to be making them anymore. They probably realize the market won't pay for MiM 4k turntables. They're going to keep making mk7 and 1500c, because those sell, but the grand class is gone and not coming back. But again, it's just a guess.

5. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

why - when you have made it clear you are beyond convincing that these tables are worth their price - are you still posting in this thread? Heck, why are you still visiting it?

6. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Because I like the MiJ GR's, and I enjoy your company.

bru87tr likes this.
  7. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Technics doesn't have big marketing, even when they were attacked by belt drive brands ... they say nothing. Nada.

40 years after that they're #1 sellers and with a huge client community.

Now it will be in other way? Let the time speak as Technics does.

Ingenieur likes this.
  8. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Bad guess.

nomad709 likes this.
  9. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Technics SL1200/1210 G & GR readily available in the UK. Strange they seem to be hardly available in the US.

I've just bought a 1210GR for £1095 at Richer Sounds (£200 off RRP of £1295 in Black Friday sale) and am awaiting an AT-OC9XML to put on it (hoping it's a decent match...). It's a Made in Malaysia deck, haven't checked it yet. Anyone else here running the XML on the GR with stock headshell?

The 1200G is available at £3000 which is £500 off RRP. I only have a couple of hundred records now and don't buy much so not enough to justify buying the G.

Will be getting rid of my Funk Firm Vector V/Roksan Nima if the Technics is up to snuff. Never been that happy with the sound/build. My Benchmark DAC2 sounds comfortably better to my ears.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Ingenieur and tin ears like this.
  10. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

G & Gr can be found in Canada but the sales rep said that COVID has had an impact on manufacturing/shipping. MK7 is plentiful. No 1500C to be seen locally.

11. btstu

btstu Forum Resident

Why would they bother switching production over to Malaysia if they were planning on discontinuing them soon? That move was certainly a sizable investment.

Technics also makes a lot of other Grand Class and similar range products... are you suggesting they'd leave the higher-end altogether? I don't believe they'd give up that prestige, it would hurt sales downrange even with products like the mk7 and 1500c

Classicrock, elvisizer and MikeJedi like this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Congrats. A couple hundred records would likely have justified the G as one never plays more than a couple hundred with any regularity even if one has thousands. I'm sure your collection will expand rapidly once you get the deck up and running. Quality and build far exceeds Funk though the Nima is a nice arm. Think the ATOC9 will be fine in the stock shell but maybe sound better in a more rigid design. Also consider a mat (thicker) upgrade especially using non technics head shells.

Sterling1 likes this.
  13. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Thanks Classicrock :)

Even within that collection of circa 220 I only play less than half of those with any regularity, which is why I went for the GR ultimately. If I truly like what I hear and start expanding my collection again I will move the GR on at a later date for not too much of a loss and spring for the G as my end game.

I've noticed a few other people are using the AT-LH11H headshell on the GR with some success - rigid and makes the job of aligning easy with the OC9 and ART1 carts. Also facilitates easy adjustment of azimuth. I shall be buying that shortly.

Sterling1 likes this.
  14. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Just saw that the 1200GR, 1210GR, 1200MK7 and the 1500C is in stock in my Canadian city :) G is supposed to arrive between now and Dec 23 but who knows!

15. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Commenced set up today but unfortunately it has the dreaded platter wobble. It was levelled using a Mana spirit level and it's not the dots, looking at bottom or top is clearly visible. Will be calling RS tomorrow and asking for a replacement unit.

16. Steve Lawrence

Steve Lawrence Forum Resident

That’s disappointing. Since Richer are offering 200 quid off I was definitely interested but hearing this along with that latest customer review I’m certainly having second thoughts

17. Ingenieur

should have left it at that..

The rest is
    :cussing:

I think they are waiting to drive up the price and will have an increase next year.
    I got my non inside knowledge from the same place as you...pulled from my butt.
    :evil:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'm happy with my GR that I purchased two years ago. I have quite a bit of upgrading (cartridge, better phono pre) before I would hear any benefit of upgrading to a G.

todd141 and JamsOnly like this.
  19. Ingenieur

did you use a runout gauge?
    If not you do not know.
    Put the level on the platter, no mat, level it in X and Y. Then slowly rotate. Otherwise it is a guess.

The eye can't detect 0.010"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

snorker, Oelewapper and SeeDeeFirth like this.
  20. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

But my eye can detect that your turntable needs to be cleaned! :hide:

JP likes this.
  21. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Oh, that's strange.

I thought the move to Malaysia was going to improve QC. I thought that forum know-it-alls stated that they just knew that since Technics is part of Panasonic, which is a big company, they must surely know what they were doing when they moved production over to Malaysia.

It was suggested that concern re: quality drop with a move to a production in Malaysia was borderline racist and/or offensive, as y'know - some medical equipment is made in Malaysia! I mean, if good quality equipment can be made in different factories in a different industry, then obviously there would be no issues with MiM Technics TTs!

Now instead you have a product which appears has the exact same defects as a MiJ Technics, but for those fortunate enough to get a well performing example - shredded 2nd hand value as the 2nd hand market is already differentiating between the MiJ and MiM examples. Oh, the cherry on top - you also paid more for a MiM Technics turntable.

:shtiphat:

22. Ingenieur

:biglaugh:
    when can you get here?
    I have some Plexus to do the cover too.

[​IMG]

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  23. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

One forum mention with no pic/video proof and you're pounding your chest? Embarrassing...

Dischord and Ingenieur like this.
  24. Ingenieur

a lot of hooey

It did improve it. A lot.
    10,000 sold
    2 complaints, one on a MIJ
    :confused:

and we do not know if the 'complaint' is valid.
    At least I back my BS up.
    See dial gauge pics above.

recstar24 likes this.
  25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes. This is the only way to know. I’ve written about this before. My SL-1210GAE measures a maximum deviation of only 0.0075” or 0.19mm. I previously had an SL-1200G that measured 0.014” or 0.36mm, which Technics told me was within spec.

patient_ot and Ingenieur like this.