The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

yup. And as mentioned previously, the margin of error on the technics and it’s tonearm is pretty darn big IME.

None of this is even factoring how much distortion is caused by the record itself and it’s inherent eccentricity. No such thing as a perfectly flat record lol. If people want overkill, check out the table below:

Nakamichi Dragon CT- Computing Turntable | Saturday Audio Exchange

Dignan2000, tin ears and Big Blue like this.
  2. JP

JP Forum Resident

That's not overkill. This is overkill... :)

[​IMG]

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Oh wow, that is overkill, if you wanna downsize a bit, I could be persuaded to take one of those Micro Seiki MAX-282 tonearms off your hands!

4. JP

JP Forum Resident

For the most part I'm using an EPA-500 armwands so no detachable headshells, which means a protractor. I use a Feickert for P2S distance, though one has to take the time to critically confirm setup as the the tolerances in the Feickert can put you a couple mm out. For alignment I use a mint Best Tractor. I appreciate the tight fit of the spindle hole, fine alignment lines, and the parallax alignment for the cantilever.

For quick headshell setups I've no issue using the Technics gauge. When doing that I use a razor blade against the end of the gauge to sight overhang better, and typically do that under my Mantis inspection scope, but more because it makes it easier on the eyes. I don't find the end of the gauge to be particularly square, so I'd guess that puts overhang within about 1mm in most cases.

That said, having overhang a little off shifts the null points a bit, but isn't going to make much of a difference. If you like to have things bang-on then a protractor is needed as the Technics gauge will have small cumulative errors for overhang, and isn't useful for perpendicularity of the cantilever, nor mechanical azimuth.

One can argue, especially after seeing a number of styli/cantilever assemblies under a microscope, that obsessing over these things with these methods is silly, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but stating that the Technics gauge gives perfect alignment is a bridge too far.

5. JP

JP Forum Resident

Only the back one is a 282 - the other is a 237. I've the S wand for the 237 as well. None of it easy to find, as you know. One of the SP-10MK3 and the TX-1000 would be the last two 'tables to ever leave here.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    Davey likes this.
  6. Davey

Ah, they both look about the same length in the picture, but very cool setup, you've got a very enviable trove of riches at your place :)

7. JP

JP Forum Resident

Ya they look pretty close in the pic. I think my favorite part of that setup is the Nakamichi branded bicycle tire pump.

ubiknik likes this.
  8. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

Thank you for the info. I definitely need a better method of alignment for my EPA-500 - trying to align it via spindle overhang is not fun, or likely very accurate at all. The way I have it aligned right now sounds quite good, but I’d like to feel more comfortable changing cartridges.

I know that the Best Tractor is turntable/tonearm dependent. If I buy the EPA-500 one, would it also work with the EPA-100, as they share the same P2S distance? The 1200MK2 arm is quite a bit shorter - not sure if there would be any chance of it working with that. Unfortunately, math is not exactly my strong suit.

9. JP

JP Forum Resident

Yes, the 500 and 100 are the same geometry. Mine was made for the SP-10MKII spindle, but works fine on the MK3 and R spindle as well. You’d need a separate one for a 1200.

mackat likes this.
  10. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

It is (SMARTractor). A friend did mine some time ago. Time to do it for myself. I have the smartstylus which cares about SRA, VTA, Az, etc.

11. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Not on this forum.

keiron99 likes this.
  12. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm planning to upgrade my cartridge from an AT VM95ML to an AT-OC9XML. I'm using the stock 1200GR arm, which of the AT-LH headshell is a better match? 13 g, 15 g or 18 g?
    Regards.

13. Davey

Many are using the newer AT-LH11H, which is the 11.5g headshell made for the new OC9X series, though it's a bit cramped behind the cart if you stick with the stock Technics/Stevenson alignment (and if you don't it won't look so nicely integrated :))... check out the AT-OC9XML pictorial thread ... the OC9XML is pretty high compliance so you need to keep the headshell weight down for best results ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

If you don't have the KAB damper installed I'd go with the lightest HS you can get, if you do have the damper then I would still go with the 13g AT HS.
    I think regardless of trying to ideally match this cart to the Technics arm that it is a good combination, and people enjoy this combo many different ways -you really can't go wrong but I think it would be tempting fate to ignore the fact that the OC9 is a wee bit on the high side of compliance, so going aggressively heavy just doesn't seem like a good idea.

edit: ^what Davey said...

Dignan2000 and punkmusick like this.
  15. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I use the lp gear ultimate, a decent headshell in duralumin with decent cables at 49 usd ... weights 9 grams.

So, very light, decent and not expensive.

I think a good light alternative.

ubiknik likes this.
  16. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answers. I don't have the KAB damper so I think I'll go with the AT-LH11H.

17. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Looks like on the AT-LH11H the lifter arm can be removed, to save a tiny bit of weight...

18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I would check that the distance from centerline of arm to cartridge mounting surface of the AT headshell is no greater than the stock headshell. If the mounting raises the cartridge any higher it might be difficult to level the headshell as installed.
    My AT ART9 is same height as the OC9 (17.3mm) and with the stock headshell on my GR and a 1mm taller Herbies mat I barely got to a level headshell using 0.5 on the tonearm height dial.
    The stock headshell puts the cartridge a few mm lower than any aftermarket headshell I have tried.
    A taller headshell and the stock mat you will have trouble leveling the headshell for neutral VTA the OC9.

19. Mabonnebiche

Mabonnebiche Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

Although I'm very familiar with this forum and this thread in particular, I actually just created an account a few minutes ago to share my story.

After owning a 1500C for 6 months and being very happy with it, I came across an online listing for what seemed to be a brand new 1200GAE for 1999€, so around 2250USD. Seller was an appliance store here in Paris called Planète Technologie. They mostly sell discounted TVs and fridges but also some audio gear, like bluetooth speakers and entry-level TTs.
    My first impression was that the listing must have been some sort of mistake, maybe another Technics model wrongly labelled as a GAE.

This was on Christmas day so I had to wait for the next tuesday for the store to be opened.
    Not wanting to raise suspicion by calling or sending an email in case it was indeed a N.O.S GAE at half price, I went straight to the store and asked if they had any TT for sale.
    The owner seemed nice and showed me a cheap Yamaha first then offered to check his inventory on his computer. After a minute or so, he showed me the list on his screen, and there was the GAE. I told him although I did not plan to spend 2k on a deck, I did own a Technics deck when I was a teenager and loved it. After asking him if the box was still sealed (to which he said yes) and if he could do better on the price (to which he said no, lol) I made a 25% deposit and was told to come back the next day for pickup, because his guys at the warehouse (located one block away in a parking garage) needed some time to locate the deck and bring it out.

It's important to specify that at this time I was still pretty sure there would be a ****up the next day. Maybe they'd tell me the inventory was wrong and they never had the TT, maybe it would turn out to be a GR or an old MK2, you name it.

So the next day I anxiously went back, knowing any bad surprise would simply turn into a refund of the deposit. After getting to store and paying the remaining 75%, I was given a receipt and instructed to go to the warehouse for pickup.
    And guys, there she was, in a dusty but sealed box, a brand new GAE that had been sitting in this warehouse for 5 years.
    As a last precautionary measure, I opened the box with the warehouse guys to make sure nothing was broken inside. And nothing was.

So that's it for me, I now own all the TT I'm ever gonna need because even though I like gear, I'm also never gonna be the guy who drops 10K on a turntable, and I'm only interested in Technics.
    I already had a KAB damper and an Achromat so I put them on the new deck. Cartridge is an AT-VM95SH and phono stage is a Lehmann Black Cube SEII.

Here's a pic of lucky number 397:
    [​IMG]

20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That is an awesome story.
    Now all you have to do is figure out what super cartridge to put on it.

Davey likes this.
  21. Mabonnebiche

Seems I haven't figured out how to post a pic on the thread, so here's the Flickr link :

IMG_4879

22. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

Doesn’t the GAE have a fluid damper tone arm? You might not need the KAB with it — or even have too much of a good thing.

23. Davey

No, same tonearm as the GR, just magnesium arm tube. Technics did use a combination of silicone oil and magnetic damping on the old EPA series arms, it's all internal...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    GungaLagunga likes this.
  24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Now you need to figure out how to get your picture to post for the finishing touch!

Very nice story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

patient_ot, ubiknik and Mabonnebiche like this.
  25. Mabonnebiche

What's wrong with the 95SH :cry: ?
    More seriously though, I have clumsy hands and I also have the TT running many hours each day since I work from home, sitting in front of the speakers. That shortens quite a bit the life expectancy of any stylus/cartridge I own, as my recently decapitated (and 5 weeks old) 2M Bronze can attest.
    My business partner got a 95SH a few months back and had only positive things to say about it, so I put it on my shortlist.

I snapped the cantilever on my 2M Bronze on a sunday and didn't want to use the old Blue stylus I had lying around, so I called a local shop (Retrofutur) opened on that day and asked what they had available for immediate pickup. They offered a 95SH for 189€ which represented almost 100€ less than a Bronze stylus, so I pulled the trigger.

At this time I like what I'm getting from the SH and tbh I think AT is a better value proposition than the 2M range. I also like the fact that the SH can deal with dirt way better than the Bronze which I very often had to clean halfway through an LP side because the sound became muffled.

I know I have a 4k TT that "deserves" a fancier cart. But I bought it because of the opportunity, because I truly love Technics and this was too good to pass. I had no plans to move up/away from the 1500C.
    I know I have a 1k phono preamp that "deserves" a fancier cart. But buying it was a mistake at the time (got 17% off though) and I'm only keeping it because nobody would offer me more than 500€ for it and I figured I might as well keep it rather than take a big loss on it after owning it for 2 months. I do love it though.

I'll probably move up, and when I do it'll probably be for a 750SH, philosophically I don't see myself dropping more than that. Bear in mind I really go through styli like a pig, they either wear out after 6 months or I just snap them because of my clumsiness.

I enjoy reading you guys write about gear, cartridges, mods, etc...but I'm also pretty down to earth and the setup I have now is my endgame. I don't have any money left anyway :)

EDIT : my "down to earth" comment can come accros as dismissive or rude to many of hifi enthusiasts. Please accept my apologies if anyone is offended. I only meant that in my personal case, I got my dream setup, I've reached the top of my modestly sized mountain.