The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If the manual that came with your turntable (not one from the web) specifies it can run at 110V at 60Hz it should work in the US.
    I mean, it’s reasonable to assume the manual is correct.

2. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Generally, european models are 110 - 220 volts ... check it out in the label close to the power plug in the turntable

3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Well, my 1200G actually came with various power cords, European, British and Swiss I believe.
    The label on the back is just a label, which are subject to regulations in certain countries, so I’d put more faith in the manual that comes with the device to specify the full range of operating voltages.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Ok, it's an opinion, but the manual is a printed book that they put in in the package ... the label with serial number, blah blah, comes from the factory itself ... and says the voltage for the device.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  5. stratmel

stratmel Forum Resident

Right, you guys are all correct. The manual that is in the box with the unit says: Specifications : General: Power Supply: AC 110-240V, 50-60Hz. So, no problem there, as I see it. All I want to know is: Can I use a standard USA power cord with this unit, rather than the one that came with it? I do not want to plug it in and try it until I'm sure. Thanks for all your replies.

6. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

YES! You can

formu_la and stratmel like this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

As long as you have a US cord with IEC plug just swap it out. The fuse is related to use in UK ring mains. The switch mode power supply in UK spec Technics is multi voltage and will work on 110v or 240v mains.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  8. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I have the information that all the European models are multivoltage. Many people here in Latin America (Mexico have 110, Brazil have 110 and 220 :eek:, and generally all the rest have 220) bought Technics from europe.

punkmusick and patient_ot like this.
  9. Sbcrue

Sbcrue Well-Known Member

Apologies in advance - I don't have any feedback or info regarding your power/cable question BUT - I couldn't resist asking about your experience ordering from the UK. I've looked at the same deck from Hard-To-Find and have been wondering what the reality is with import fee's, duty, extra costs/charges, etc. is. I've looked online (google) and this forum and found a little bit of information regarding this type of purchase from overseas but mostly what I've read seems mysterious, lol. Do you mind sharing what your purchase was like? I'm getting sick of waiting for one to be available in the US!

10. stratmel

stratmel Forum Resident

Thanks to all who replied, that's really helpful. I thought it really odd that Technics USA wouldn't answer the question, but instead referred me to Panasonic UK. Anyway, whatever. I still have not heard back from Panasonic UK, or Hard-to-Find HiFi.

Sbcrue, I was in much the same boat as you. I was set on this model, and had heard or read that they would be available in the the USA in October 2021. OK, I'll wait, I thought. So waited and waited. Christmas night I just happened to google the unit, and Hard to Find HiFi popped up. There it was, for 1,095 L. That's about $1,467, but there were some other charges and fees, so it came out to about $1772 total on the credit card, just a bit less than the $1699 plus CA sales tax of 7.75%. The credit card charge went to Ebay Commerce UK Ltd., which I thought was weird, but I didn't know that until the billing charge hit my card. The confirmation stated that it would be delivered in the first week of February, so ok, I've waited this long. So last week it shows up on a DHL truck. Wow, ok. Hard to Find HiFi never sent me an invoice, which I've since requested from them. The unit was brand new, double boxed and factory sealed. Anyway, bottom line is, I paid a little bit less and my new turntable is here. It specifically states: Made in Malaysia. I think I'm good to go. I don't know where to register the warranty, again that's a question for HTFHF. Set up an email account with them prior to ordering if you go that way, I did not until after the fact and it was more difficult to deal with questions, etc. Hope this helps. I didn't research anything, I just saw it and went for it. Looks like it worked out fine. If any new or relevant information comes up, I'll be sure to post here.

11. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

So, for fun I took a look at Hard-to-Find HiFi and I see they have the original stock RCA cables for £24.95 (link below). That comes out to roughly $35. Blue Jeans LC-1s are a little bit more but they are comparable. I assumed they were throw away cables, but they aren't. They appear to be good quality, thick and gold plated, and according to Hard-to-Find HiFi they are the same ones that come with the 1200G. I went back to them and will see how they go. I was using $34 Audioquest Towers before now, but will use them in place of cheaper Fospowers I actually like, between my Yamaha R-N602 and A-S1100. Anyone else stick with the stock cables, and/or compare them with others?

Technics K2KYYYY00257

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  12. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I might be going out on a limb here but I think that I am fairly safe to say that the local arms of Panasonic/Technics are not going to assist with any requests for information or questions pertaining to units intended for "foreign" markets. That is, they are not going to facilitate making it easy nor conducive to grey importing from another region. Hence the lack of response to your questions about the power cord. Although they are all local subsidiaries of Panasonic, they want to protect sales in their own market and neither encourage nor condone grey imports. I think that I can also safely say that should you have any problems that require warranty attention, you will need to return the unit to the UK as the local US branch will not service products that they have not sold. This sounds harsh but it's how local markets try to protect themselves and discourage consumers from importing products that weren't intended for your market. This doesn't apply to electronics goods only but also cameras and a multitude of other products that can be tracked by serial number. Unless the manufacturer offers a global warranty, the warranty will probably only be honoured in the country that the unit was intended to be sold.

It would be easier (and more cost effective) for Technics to make just a single variant of each model with a universal power supply but they have taken the decision to essentially make three variants of their models: 100V 50/60Hz models specifically for the Japanese market, 120V 60Hz for the North American market and universal 110-240V 50/60Hz units for the rest of the world. This is partly done to protect third markets from grey imports.

That Technics have a scarcity of products available in the USA at the moment will not make any difference if it comes to warranty support.

Your case might actually be a little unusual because it would normally be consumers trying to import products from the USA at cheaper prices than they are available in their own market.

13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

That's my case, my GR was a grey import from the UK.

patient_ot and Mike70 like this.
  14. stratmel

stratmel Forum Resident

Excellent point, SpudOz. Hopefully I won't have to deal with the warranty issue, it's only 1 year anyway.

SpudOz likes this.
  15. Sbcrue

Sbcrue Well-Known Member

Super helpful information! Thank you so much for responding. It sounds like the purchase and delivery went as smooth as you could hope for, save for the delay in communication and uncertainty in warranty, invoice, questions, etc. I hope you get your questions answered and enjoy your new table! I'm strongly considering purchasing one from them. Thanks for the heads up on setting up an email account with HTFHF in advance. :righton:

stratmel likes this.
  16. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

I've just received my GR and i will connect it on NUO phono input : from NUO owner manual : "(...)Phono Turntables must be fitted with a magnetic cartridge with nominal output level between -55dBV and -25dBV (1,77 to 56mV). The PHONO inputs (31) of the NUO2 have a high headroom (margin before saturation) and it can
    handle higher output cartridges than what is usual. These inputs are supplied with a nominal input sensitivity of
    -40dBV(10mV).(...)"
    My question : may i put a phono preamp between the GR and the phono input (to obtain almost the same quality than my MK2 on the C220) ?
    Is it possible to add a phono preamp to an input phono ?
    Perhaps silly question for you but not for me with my audio level...
    And if yes may i have an advice for a phono preamp ?
    My C220 has 12AX7 tube.
    For example : Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 Noir - Préamplis phono sur Son-Vidéo.com
    Thanks from a covid listener...:rolleyes:

17. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

No, a phono stage must plug into a line input not another phono input.

18. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Thank for your answer !
    that's also what I thought but I wanted to improve the phono part of the mixer because the line input is already taken...

19. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I was told by Technics UK that warranty coverage does not extend to North America. So you'd have to send it back to Europe for servicing. Maybe I have that wrong, but that's what I was told.

20. You're correct on the warranty thing.
    That said, the likelihood of the thing needing servicing is nil.

matrix-6 likes this.
  21. maycontainmultitudes

maycontainmultitudes Audiophail

Simple question - what's the surface of the SL1200GR base / plinth made of? Seeing it in person the other week it appeared to be plastic, which felt a bit cheap, but I wasn't certain. I just ordered a 1210GR, and this isn't likely to change my mind, but I'm still curious to know. Thanks

22. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Aluminum die cast and BMC

[​IMG]

"The SL-1200GR ensures high rigidity by using a body with a two-layered construction solidly unifying the BMC and the aluminium die-cast chassis."
    via: Grand Class SL-1200 Series SL-1200GR - Technics US

And via Bulk Moulding Compound - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics :

BMC is a combination of chopped glass strands with resin as a bulk prepreg. Unlike SMC, it is not necessary to have recourse to a maturation step, and consequently, BMC prepreg formulations contain higher filler contents. The reinforcements are essentially chopped glass strands of 6 or 12 mm. The reinforcement content is generally between 10% and 20%. The properties of BMC are typically lower than SMC (Derosa et al., 2005). The filler is usually calcium carbonate with consequent economic benefit. The resins are polyester, vinyl ester, epoxy, urea, melamine, phenolic, or polyurethane. BMC is suitable for either compression or injection molding. Compression molding of BMC can produce complex components such as electrical equipment, car components (headlamps), and housings for electrical appliances and tools in large industrial volumes (BMC, n.d.).
    It feels super smooth and solid, not cheap. You will like it. I came from a Pro-Ject 1Xpression Carbon Classic with a "classy" gloss piano-black finish and was worried the GR would seem tacky compared to it. Far from it. It is super solid. People aren't kidding when they say it's built like a tank. Check out the GR page linked above for what goes into it. It's an incredibly well built turntable. Now the Pro-Ject feels cheap. Still classy though. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  23. maycontainmultitudes

maycontainmultitudes Audiophail

Super thorough and informative. Thanks so much!

matrix-6 likes this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Made in Malaysia SL-1210GR on USAM with VM-540ML cartridge, practically new (one month old) in NC. Listed at $1600. Says he is moving up to a G.

Informational only, no connection to the seller.

ubiknik likes this.
  25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That's a pretty spiffy deal!

MikeJedi likes this.