The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The previous video gave a much worse impression than this one. This one seems OK.

recstar24 likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The thing is, I can kind of see it in this last video, watching the left-hand edge, but it’s just not a direct-enough angle to be conclusive.

I must say, it seems like if Technics was to actually inspect the unit, they’ll either replace the platter or determine it’s within spec. If they replace the platter, problem solved. If they determine it’s in spec, that’s when to enforce the consumer protection laws and insist on an exchange or refund. Messing around with videos and self-measurement any longer seems like the way to accomplish nothing but delaying resolution even longer. I am not sure I understand what the reservation is to sending the turntable away if it’s defective anyway.

recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  3. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

The light didn't come through. Using that angle by looking at the shadow you can tell some deviation. On the inner third it is perfectly stable. On the outer third the shadow under the square shows deviation.

bever70 likes this.
  4. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

As I said. They wanted to send it back to Japan. Who really wants their turntable to travel to another continent?

I've had problems previously with turntables via courier. If anything it is a platter issue. I can send the platter to them for testing!!

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

You might want to rethink your position and play along with their requests or this will just keep dragging along.

6. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Just sell it and get something else, life it too short for all this drama over a turntable, I think you've extracted all you can from this thread :)

punkmusick likes this.
  7. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

You know one day I will sell it, and when I do I want to be sure I'm selling the buyer a deck that is as good as it can be.

8. Davey

OK, but you already have 44 posts in this thread, I don't think it will be resolved here.

Slimwhit33 and punkmusick like this.
  9. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Indeed. Nice that you counted them :)

I have responded to issues raised about it all, and I think there has been some going round in circles. Believe me, I'm happy to put it to one side and I'll update when it's resolved.

Lucca90 and Davey like this.
  10. Davey

Well, the forum software counts them, but point taken. It just seems that this thread has devolved into the same handful of people saying the same thing over and over for the last few pages, not very interesting to the rest of us, but I truly sympathize with your situation, sorry for the flippant attitude :)

11. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

It's cool. I'm bored of it too :agree:

If it stays I'm looking forward to trying out a KAB TD-1000 damper, then a Hana SL. I think that is a cartridge I'd really love to try

12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What I’m not understanding is why it matters where it’s being sent, if it’s defective the way it is. It seems like you would probably have it or the replacement back already if you had just sent it in the first place. To me, if I have something that needs warranty service, it goes wherever it needs to go for the warranty service, and I don’t care where that is, as long as the issue is being addressed. It’s in Technics’ care during the warranty service, who cares where the service is happening? It just seems to me like you could make your life a lot easier by following the direction given for resolution and giving them a chance to fix it for you.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I am, and I hope we all are, coming from a place of empathy on this. It would really suck to have this kind of issue with something that costs that much money. I think we are all just seeing that it seems like there are relatively easy solutions presented to you, and we wish you wouldn’t make it this hard on yourself.

recstar24 and MusicNBeer like this.
  14. Davey

The Hana does get a lot of really nice comments, but the aluminum cantilever and plastic body seems a bit below that price range. I'm liking the new Audio Technica AT-OC9X line, you could get the AT-OC9XSH with boron cantilever and shibata stylus and a threaded aluminum body for a bit cheaper than the Hana, but ya never know, no reviews yet, and lots to choose from out there. Good luck with everything.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  15. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I also get the crappy feeling you have when you pay big bucks and get less than you feel you deserve. I've been there. FWIW, I think your platter is mostly flat with minimal warpage. The screw not countersunk correctly is a bigger issue in my mind. Hope you can work it out.

16. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I always seem to hear comments of brightness with AT cartridges, whereas I think the Hana is said to have more body and that's what I would prefer.

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

printed ones did not work for me. it was accurate as measured, I glue sticked it to poster board and the hole was perfect (i punched the hold using a push pin around the circumference). it was the sound i didn't care for. but i am very picky.

Big Blue likes this.
  18. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Late to the party: I have 9 or 10 Technics tables at last count, 5 are 1200's, 1 M3 and 3 or 4 more MK2 variants.

None of them have platters that wonky. I have not read back far enough to know how you acquired/purchased the unit. If I had seen that in the first couple of days (which I would have) it would be going back. Forget warranty, if the dealer would not take it back, I would be filing with my CC. This has to be one of those rareties. Sorry you wound up with it; but, I hope it won't be for long.

Timbo21 and Slick Willie like this.
  19. Andrew Littleboy

Andrew Littleboy Forum Resident

I had one of these last year but sold it due to financial reasons at the time. I also own a Lp12, Lingo 3, Kore, Nima arm with Lyra Delos. I sometimes think I sold the wrong deck. I have only just seem the platter wobble issue on a couple of decks, can only assume it's been dropped at some point in transit. Mine was perfect, the only thing you can notice is the strobe slighly uneven but that's just in the casting and is normal.

This was mine and am seriously thinking about ditching the Lp12 and getting another SL1200G. I'm sure I played more Lp's with the SL1200G, I would just wake up in the morning while getting ready for work and just play some music, something I don't really do with the LP12..... I'd probably also be quids in!££££

Timbo21 and punkmusick like this.
  20. Andrew Littleboy

I agree, I don't believe that platter is warped, if you look at the very edge against the top plate and use yours fingers to cover up the strobes it's almost perfectly flat. The strobes will almost always not be totally flat as they are cast with the platter, then the platter is machined balanced and flat.

21. Andrew Littleboy

Another photo of mine close up

Kenton and Timbo21 like this.
  22. grive

grive Active Member

Earthing question:
    1200GR to Lehmann audio decade to Primaluna int.
    Should I connect ground from 1200GR to phono, and from phono to amp ? This looks normal ( to me)? or ?

Asking because I saw various opinions about that...

23. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

I usually go with whatever gives you less noise (hum).

24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Turntable to phono should be sufficient. If not, you can experiment.

25. grive

grive Active Member

At the moment I have ground connected from turntable to int amp (which have internal phono stage). So options are: to connect all of them, or turntable to phono only, or turntable to amp only ?
    I will try for less hum for sure...just thinking what is "electrically" correct.
    Thank you Mike&Gabe