The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle

Anyone checked out the soundys.com site yet? The 1200GR is listed for $1201, wonder what happens after you place the order? Any risk takers out there? They are listed at 713 1st Corso Nebraska City, NE 68410-United States.

It's just one of the stores that came up on google shopping while I was searching for something else. Don't know anything about them :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  2. TIm13

TIm13 Forum Resident

This seems really sus. You can only pay via paypal and when you google the address it comes up as being an antiques shop. I would love to snag this at that price but I think that this is likely a scam.

bjlefebvre and Davey like this.
  3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

how do you locate that on the site?
    The SL1200G price is great.

When you click 'home' you get golf clubs?

definite scam
    About 01 – soundys

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2022
    snorker likes this.
  4. I emailed Timestep today, inquiring about their PSU for my GAE & the said, their not making them anymore.

5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

@Davey This is 100% a scam. The photos of their “Team” are models from the Brooks Brothers website. Buyer beware!

See here and the photo of “Mildred Simpson” in the link above posted by @NoBody99

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  6. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

dcarwin and recstar24 like this.
  7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Meh. They were 1500 bucks and 1000 over here for quite some time now.
    It’s just that the dollar’s about equal value to the euro nowadays.

8. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

This is in the U.S. It's a savings of $200. Not meh.

Eigenvector likes this.
  9. Oelewapper

I know, but I meant that it’s probably not a real sale or discount, you just happen to be lucky to have a strong currency in relation to others.

10. Davey

Yea, in reality, all the stores in the US should be selling them at lower prices, since the Yen is down over 20% against the dollar in the last year. Instead, the distributor probably pockets most of the gains.

And the strong dollar is why I can order a 1200GR from Europe and get it shipped here for $1370 total, whereas it costs about $500 more in the US with sales tax. But that's always the way of the world, it's just easier now to buy internationally. Still some risk, though.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Joel S and this_machine like this.
  11. Oelewapper

Yeah that's the default way of doing business.
    But I think some online stores that are not authorized dealers actually import devices themselves, in those cases it could make a difference.

At least, that's the way things often go over here.
    Products with serial numbers designating different continents, but those can often be used over here anyways, since PSUs are often 100-250V @ 50/60Hz.
    In some cases there are minor differences, like the absence of certain certification logos (like the CE mark on products meant for EU or the UL meant for America).
    It's not possible with some product categories, like US smartphones, which won't work over here due to different frequency bands, however, smartphones made for the Japanese market will work in Europe (in fact, I have a Japanese iPhone I bought at a nearby store).

Davey likes this.
  12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

whered you get one for that price?

Danmar likes this.
  13. Davey

There are quite a few places in Europe you can buy them, so may not be the cheapest, but Technology Factory is a big shop in Belgium with strong reputation. I don't have a Technics table, I just said that I could order one at that price to illustrate the favorable current exchange rate ... you may be able to get a nice deal in the US too if you work with a dealer, they should have plenty of supply now, and are obviously making good profits ...

[​IMG]

14. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Eh? I bought my iPhone from the Apple store in New York. I've been using here in the UK for the last 3 years.

15. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

You can also buy them from Analogue Seduction for under $1100 GBP. Gary is a very friendly dealer.

16. Oelewapper

Well yeah… that’s the thing… the supported frequency bands vary from phone to phone.
    It’s probably not able to use certain frequency bands, so it uses others instead.
    It could impact reception and connection bandwidth.
    For example:
    iPhone - Supported 5G and LTE networks

17. Davey

Yea, you are right, about the same price as the Technology Factory page above, $1364 USD with shipping. Lots of options.

Joel S likes this.
  18. jarrod2750

jarrod2750 Forum Resident

No it’s a real sale price and nothing to do about currency conversion. I received an email this morning about the sale price. It’s $200 less than I paid for my 1200GR two years ago!

19. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but would there be a power consideration related to the 220v standard shipping a table from the EU to US? Or would it simply be a matter of swapping the iec? By my calculation, the savings on a g could be $600 after shipping, which wouldn’t be immaterial.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  20. Oelewapper

Just swapping the IEC.
    EU units have an international PSU that'll work anywhere.
    According to specs in the manual:
    AC 110 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz

punkmusick likes this.
  21. TIm13

TIm13 Forum Resident

That sucks that it's only the 1210GR. Any0ne know how to get a deal on the 1200GR that doesn't involve importing? Also, how common is the platter wobble issue? I have heard a lot of people talking about this with the new Technics decks. Kind of crazy that it's even a thing at the price they are selling these things at. That's the one reason I wouldn't want to import one. I don't want there to be any issues if it needs to be returned.

22. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I read that the wobble thing was resolved some time ago. Mine works perfectly.

23. Davey

Savings would be closer to $1000 for me since I live in a 10% sales tax state, assuming you are comparing to normal US retail price of $3999. Looks like at Technology Factory they are only calculating €12.50 for delivery to me when ordering the 1200G, I wonder why it is so low, is that what you saw too? I'd want to verify that before ordering. I'd also want assurance there are no other charges in the US, I don't think people have been paying any duty on these.

recstar24 likes this.
  24. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Yep that’s what I saw too. I can’t imagine that’s right given I just spent $20 to ship a phono stage across the country for repair. It’s a good point about the tax as well.

re: the power cord, would the unit work out of the box or would you need to use some sort of converter?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  25. Davey

The manual shows 3 different power cords in the list of accessories, but I think they are all UK/EU variants. I don't know if all three are included. You would just need a USA 3-prong IEC cable.

Oelewapper and Ulises like this.