The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

And how about an extensive comparison?

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

The problem (as I see it) with a comparison of the two is that one would need to use a cart that was at the GR's limit, or beyond, then see if the G handled it better.
    I run a 2M Black and doubt that I would be able to detect enough of a difference to justify the cost of my G.

punkmusick likes this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

:laugh: And that is the $64,000 question, right?

The reality is, the GAE and GR are closer than one might expect. These types of A/B’s are tough, because although I do have two of the same pressings, I don’t have two of the same carts. When I swap carts between the two, there are two main things that stand out: 1) the GAE has better/stronger/tighter bass, and 2) the GAE has a wider soundstage.

I’d have to chalk both of those up to the difference in the arm. But they are close enough, in a blind test, I’m not 100% sure I’d be able to tell the sonic differences.

4. Slick Willie

Comparisons like that are just too tough!
    So much time passes between table cable changeovers and cart changes that all is lost....unless it is super dramatic.
    All one can really do is assume since the differences are so many that the G would have the edge.

punkmusick and SamS like this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Meant to tag @snorker

6. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Definitely, I have my Shure V15 on a Yamamoto HS-4, which is about 10.6g. The resonant frequency is 7hz for the combination. Ideally it should be 8hz, or a bit more. To get the res freq up, as I understand it, I would need to lose mass. The Technics headshell is lighter, so I may try it to get the res frequency up. Having the res freq in the right area, ie 8-12hz is apparently important for general performance of the cartridge.

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

What I LOVE about this setup is how EZ cart setup is!
    No need to worry so much about compliance...just have two different weighted shells and choose the combination that pleases you the most.
    Just another tool to get to where you want to be.

Timbo21 likes this.
  8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Every headshell I have is heavier than the stock and according to my math give worse resonance frequency results with my cartridges.

9. Slick Willie

The only shell that I have been able to locate that comes close to the weight of a new Technics shell are the vintage Technic shells.
    I did not check out the extreme priced ones.

10. Andrew Littleboy

Andrew Littleboy Forum Resident

This is exactly what I found, the expensive headshells look great but the stock one works best!

The Dragon and Slick Willie like this.
  11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Hmmm...who would have thought, technics actually knows what they are doing! :p

12. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Are 1200g's (not the gr) still being produced? I can't seem to find anyone with them in stock.

13. Slick Willie

Have you called or emailed them to see how long they have been OOS and when new stock is expected....and to get in line?
    Amazon lists one in stock, however it's a JPN table...will need a power cable and transformer.

14. harby

harby Forum Resident

Where to Buy | Technics US

Japan uses the same outlets as USA. They have 100 volt, 50Hz or 60Hz depending on the region.

I did find a Japanese manual, which states only 100V, like the US version is 120V. The UK manual specs 110-240V 50/60Hz, which is more versatile, works everywhere but Japan.

[​IMG]
    Many Japanese devices, like my rice cooker, will work on 120V, perhaps with just a bit more "oomph". For a $4000 turntable without a domestic warranty, I wouldn't experiment, though.

You can use a transformer like the Japanese use when overseas:
    Nissyo Industrial DN-103 Step Down Transformer 110V-120V to 100V 330W Japan 4956234008328 | eBay

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Many of the retailers in the UK will order them in once the customer makes an order. It may be the case where you are too.

Andrew Littleboy likes this.
  16. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Model SL-1200 G-EG(S) is a universal voltage model. I bought my two 1200Gs out of the UK (I live in the US). I had to supply my own US spec power cable. Otherwise, it works out of the box with no issue. AC 110-240V 50/60Hz is listed in the manual.

Lucca90 likes this.
  17. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

18. Andrew Littleboy

Andrew Littleboy Forum Resident

Yep, Richer Sounds, Hifi Corner, Doug Brady, Sevenoaks all are able to order, to name a few.

19. Blusmbl

Blusmbl Well-Known Member

Mine came from Glenn Poor's in Champaign, Illinois about a month ago. Maybe give them a call?

20. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

ok, so they ARE still being produced, cool. thanks.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It does depend on the cartridge you are using, though. I haven’t tried the stock headshell with my low-compliance AT cart, but assuming 12g effective mass is correct with the stock headshell, it’s a potentially bad match. However, were I to try a medium-to-high compliance cartridge, I’m sure glad Technics has supplied a very light headshell.

22. Slick Willie

What weight shell do you configurmolate you need? And what AT cart?

23. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Yea, I don't see how any of the modern AT carts could be a bad match, do they even make any low compliance carts? Most of them seem to come in around the 20cu @ 10Hz range, but I'm more familiar with their MC range.

24. Slick Willie

That's what I'm thunkin'.....but what do I know?

Davey likes this.
  25. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

His profile shows the AT VM95ML. The low compliance comment might come from the common confusion between dynamic compliance at 10 Hz and 100 Hz.