The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

thanks
    This is the VM540ML
    very close average to -20.4 dB range

[​IMG]

2. JP

JP Forum Resident

If I have the 740 mounted still I'll measure it later. Purported to be the same generator as the 540.

Ingenieur and patient_ot like this.
  3. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Question.....
    I am thinking of doing an experiment at home, with just the Ikea Bamboo board and some anti vibration pads (hardware ones used for washing machines) - just wondering if I need to put one in the middle of the board as well as the 4 corners of the Ikea board due to the weight of a Technics G?
    Will I put the pads under the board where the feet are or on the edges of the corners of the board?

I am thinking of buying a proper isolation board "maybe" but thought I would try to see if this cheap option does anything before I go to the expense - I do not have any footfall issues and the table I have my Technics on is solid - but someone said isolation can help regardless. So thought I might try it and find out.
    :)

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

5. JP

JP Forum Resident

He had a Japan-only market deck within a few years of when they were introduced? Impressive.

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

IME isolation is better for things like tube preamps and such. Mechanical grounding is best for things like Turntables and speakers. So, a good wall shelf is probably a better choice than more isolation for one of these test decks.

7. Ingenieur

If you are talking about the 3" square cork sandwiched by rubber pads they are too stiff for a TT.

The best thing to do is have a solid table, heavy and level. A moderate push should not move it. After that your TT feet should be enough. If you need more a board with some sorbothane hemispheres rated for your (TT plus platform wt)/4.

April Snow likes this.
  8. April Snow

Interesting - thank you for the reply -

The pads I was thinking of are trying as an experiement these ones:

Whites On-Site 100 x 15mm Rubber Anti Vibration Mat - 4 Pack - Bunnings Australia

Seems they are a big hit for under the iKea bamboo boards here in Australia for Audiophiles who want a cheaper solution - they are made from Rubber and you use them to stop washing machines from walking when using.

I was just interested because some Audiophile friends of mine have mentioned that despite the fact I have my Turntable sitting on a solid & level wooden table maybe I am doing my Technics a dis-service by not having a dedicated rack and I am holding her back?

I have had both my previous GR and now the G sitting on this table for 5 years and never noticed any issues - but it got me doubting things with people "in my ear".
    So last night I played some Roxy Music, Jazz & Dance music -
    I put three spirit levels on my wooden table in different spots and I put one small level on the Technics Plinth itself - to see if there was any bubble movement whilst playing the LPs.

And what happened? on the wooden table and the Technics the bubble did not even wobble one bit, but stayed stable - no movement at all.

so makes me think that maybe I need not do anything? Surely if there was vibration it would show by the bubbles moving in the Spirit Level? Or am I missing something?
    is the vibration they are talking about a more subtle thing?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    this_machine and Ingenieur like this.
  9. Ingenieur

Those are made for much heavier loads.
    You can try them but use 3. Perhaps a 15" triangle.

You definitely don't need 5z

April Snow likes this.
  10. Itsik

Itsik Forum Resident

This is a long thread, so I'm sure this has been asked previously but time has past and maybe more folks have gained experience or changed their mind ....

If you could choose one MC cart for the 1200G, which would you prefer?
    1. ART9XA
    2. Goldring Ethos
    3. Hana ML

11. I have the Hana ML & love it.
    I also use a Cadenza Black.

12. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Wonder if you can add mass to a GR tonearm for using the Denon DL-103 cartridge ?

I know about adding mass to headshell. and extra counterweight, but what about the armtube middle ?
    Is there some kind of "jacket" to put around ?

13. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

14. April Snow

Has anyone tried the Kiseki Blue on a Technics GR?

15. April Snow

sorry did a typo - I meant a Technics G - doh.
    I have been given a Kiseki Blue to trial and wondered if they are good on the Technics G - with VTA etc as I read they are "short bodied" so was not sure what that meant.
    I currently have an Ortofon LBV Black MM on it.
    Thank you :)

16. Pmds55889397

If its new its an entirely different cartridge than your LVB for sure.

I had one decades ago, love the vintage stuff but long sold on.

17. April Snow

I don't think it is a vintage one, it is still available - I think it is the Blue NS model............
    I just wondered if they are able to be set up on Technics G without too much fussing around. :)

18. Pmds55889397

'Oh well, haven't followed current market situ, my Kiseki adventure were in the 80s or 90s, hence vintage word.
    Can't see why it shouldn't work on a G.

19. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I had a Kiseki Blue NS that I used when I still used the stock arm on my 1200G and it sounded great. Was actually the only cart I owned at the time that worked with the stock arm. Definitely be sure to use a heavier headshell, though. If I recall, I used a Yamamoto ebony headshell.

April Snow likes this.
  20. April Snow

Thank you, I was just worried as I read the Kiseki Blue NS is "short" so thought there might be an issue with VTA? It does not go low enough?????
    I am a newbie regarding cartridges and get a friend to set them up for me who is part of an Audio Club here in Australia and has the tools.
    Now heavier head shells - already sounding too hard :sweating:

21. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The HS-1A is the one I think I used with the Kiseki: Yamamoto Headshells

22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Worst case scenario is you may have to add some platter height with a thicker platter mat or stacking mats.
    The other solution is to shim the cartridge to the headshell.

April Snow likes this.
  23. April Snow

Thank you, although I am in Australia.

I am also now considering the Ortofon Cadenza Black with an Ortofon Headshell (which they recommend to go with it) -
    I currently have the Ortofon LVB Black MM (upgraded from the Bronze) so like the Ortofon sound.

Just someone has given me the Kiseki to try if I wish, only it likely will need re-tipping as he said he put a lot of hours on it, so not sure that it is worth the expense and trouble.

Danmar likes this.
  24. Pmds55889397

Kiseki is not everyday event, I'd certainly take the opportunity again if it was me, retip or not (who can do this ?).
    Not a fan of the Ortofons.

HiFi Guy and April Snow like this.
  25. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Are there any electronics in the base of the 1200GR? I ask because I'm wondering if an aftermarket rubber base could replace the ABS/BMC base that comes with the GR/MK7/1500C/100C.