The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Nope. All mounted to the bottom of the top plate:
    [​IMG]
    Probably won't fit though, since the shapes differ quite considerably, for example an MK7/M7L:
    [​IMG]

Oh btw, the "BMC" stands for Bulk Moulding Compound, which is a type of heavy synthetic rubber that comes on the 1200G/GR and the original 1200s.
    The MK7 comes with a glass fiber reinforced ABS bottom half.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    punkmusick, Joel S, Charile and 4 others like this.
  2. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Just my opinion but the BMC base on the GR is totally fine. IME the biggest dampening flaw on the deck is the lack of plinth dampening as seen in the photo above. With the volume turned up, stylus down on an LP rapping my fingers on the BMC base does very little to add noise into the chain. A good knock on the plinth in the same scenario can cause the platter to ring. If I was going to mod one of these decks that's probably one area I'd look at, fairly common mod for older Techs.

Joel S likes this.
  3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Actually, the G has BMC as well as another layer of “heavyweight class rubber.” The GR only has the BMC.

4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I got the (a ?) Ortofon test lp. No dedicated separation tracks only the 1000 Hz L and R.

Better results, average of 3 L/R sets each a 15-20 sec averaged samples:
    Avg 151 mV, 8.7 mV, -24.8 dB
    Ch balance 0.43 dB
    Delta between each ch separation value ~0.3 dB

All readings were consistent:
    147 to 153 mV
    8.5 to 9.1 mV
    Bal 0.43 to 0.45
    Delta 0.1 to 0.4

5. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

How would you mod it?

6. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Some people with older Technics tables add dampening material under the plinth, like Technics does for the platter. Theoretically this would further impede noise entering into the cartridge from airborne vibrations, dust cover shutting, etc. I highly doubt it would an audible contributor to the sound of the table, but I do think it’s a weak point in the design that may be worth investigating if I was to do any mods to address dampening. Honestly I don’t anticipate doing so as stock is live-able for me in my environment.

7. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Thanks. I hear what you're saying. Replacing the base would make a bigger difference in the MK7/100C/1500C turntables because they just use ABS and need a large steel plate in the bottom to tamp down resonance. And since all these turntables from GR to 100C have the same exterior dimensions, it's possible one base could fit them all (no guarantees though because they may attach differently to the aluminum top).

In any case, do you know if there are any electronics in the base of these turntables? Still hoping for an answer to my question. if anybody here knows.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Your question was answered at the top of this page, with pictures.

Oelewapper likes this.
  9. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I see that now. Thanks.

The 1200MK7/1500C/100C would likely benefit from a rubber aftermarket base. I emailed WeatherTech to see if there's any interest in making one. I assume the 100C/1500C could share the same one.

10. JP

JP Forum Resident

OG Technics called in TNRC (Technics Non-Resonant Compound). I've their marketing literature on it somewhere IIRC.

Joel S likes this.
  11. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm looking at a possible path to upgrade my ~10 year old Debut Carbon. Higher end Pro-Ject and Regas are on the list, as is the 1210GR. My understanding is since the switch to the Malaysian factory, QC has kinda gotten hit or miss. Particularly, it seems like the cue lever (and sometimes ton arm/gimbal stuff) can be the problem children on these tables. Does anyone know if these issues still pop up or if it's just luck of the draw?

Joel S likes this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Where did you hear that? A current GR should be a fine table.

13. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

User reviews on this forum and others. Anecdotal to be sure, and Japanese GRs had their fair share of complaints, too.

14. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

My thought process on the 1500C is if I'm already spending that money might as well just dish out the extra for a G/GR. Rega's lifetime warranty gives it some appeal if I'm spending this kinda cash also. But the aftermarket parts/repair stuff for Technics is pretty admirable as well. Sadly, finding somewhere to audition a Technics in store seems damn near impossible.

Joel S likes this.
  15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

QC issues can interfere with any new purchase, fear of these so called issues isn't really justified.
    I would choose a GR over either tables mentioned, I went from a perfectly fine Musichall FFM 7.3 to the GR and it was a great improvement.

16. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

If you’re coming into a model-specific thread asking for what to buy, I think you can kind of figure out what advice you’re going to get. Same for asking “what about these QC things” when the other options you’re considering are belt-driven and some don’t even publish their W/F specs. Hopefully you can acknowledge that comparison is already a bit hypocritical to start with.

This is not intended to be dismissive, just that the things you’ve brought up are a bit controversial here already (Malaysian vs Japanese manufacturing, etc), so I’d encourage reading through this thread first to help answer some of your questions.

17. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I have read through this (and other) threads. I've auditioned the P3 and X2, but haven't had an opportunity to try the Technics in person. I was looking for specialized input, which is why I posted in here.

18. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Best advice is to buy from a reputable dealer with a good return policy and decide for yourself. In general, I wouldn’t be turned off by anecdotal reports of poor qc on some units. There are enough glowing reviews of technics tables on b&h, crutchfield, music direct, amazon, etc. to allow you to buy with confidence. And if you get a lemon, send it back. I say this as a critic of the move to malaysia.

19. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Yeah there's a couple nice hi-fi shops near(ish) to me but they only sell the usual hifi brands (VPI, MoFi, Pro-Ject, Rega, Avid, etc) so I'll likely end up going with Crutchfield or someone if I purchase the Technics.

20. alanb

alanb Senior Member

and people dissatisified or wanting a moan are more likely to get online than the other 99 who are enjoying their music and tables..........

21. JP

JP Forum Resident

Got it. Seems a little low. Will let you know if/when I check mine.

Ingenieur likes this.
  22. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Isn’t that just the same thing with a different name?

23. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

exactly
    They are the same level of quality

How many Ferrari or Porsches are in the shop within a few months of purchase?
    More than a few.

24. JP

JP Forum Resident

I don't know. IIRC, Technic's claimed TNRC was an evolution of their plinth compositions. I'd think there would be a related patent were that the case. I haven't looked.

All the material I've seen has been marketing material, so...

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Read the return policy. Typically Crutchfield has a pretty good one. Buy and home audition. There aren't that many Technics dealers nationwide, unfortunately. Many of us had to purchase online with the option of returning.